THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Black Heart

Go down 
+14
Mister Feral
Asrodrig
Gobsmakked
Xelkireth
vharing
oberonson
The Eye of Error
Foo
Torpedo Vegas
Radium
Todo13
darkmark
Saintspirit
killfrenzy
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

Kabal of the Black Heart Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 09:01

Don't have a lot done yet and what I do have isn't finished. Today I'll be getting a Raider so that'll be next.

I've been waiting for the Battleforce in order to save money.

Archon Ykhurian Sarnek:

I actually swapped his head after sculpting my own, painting him to near completion and not liking the result. That's why the paintwork around his head is a bit damaged/incomplete.

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture047

Kabalite Warriors:

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture048

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture049

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture050

I'll have more stuff to show in June......

Last edited by killfrenzy on Thu Jun 16 2011, 16:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 09:13

What I first notice here is the awesome highlights on the armour. Thy look great! However, I think that drybrushed metal don't look so good, try badab black and the a highlight (which I can see that you would be able to do). Any ideas on the eyes?

Also, fix the bases. Every model looks better with bases.
Back to top Go down
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 09:25

Saintspirit wrote:
What I first notice here is the awesome highlights on the armour. Thy look great! However, I think that drybrushed metal don't look so good, try badab black and the a highlight (which I can see that you would be able to do). Any ideas on the eyes?

Also, fix the bases. Every model looks better with bases.

Well, like the thread title implies, they're gonna be painted like the studio scheme.... or as near as my meagre ability can reach that standard. So green eyes.

I'll probably do a sand base - light coloured to contrast with the dark armour.

Like I said, I'll have more to show when I get stuff in June and actually have some motivation to get an army ready for the table.

Thanks for the comments.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 10:56

Good solid start Very Happy
Back to top Go down
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 13:51

Thanks.

If a mod could take it upon himself to move this to Project Logs I'd appreciate it.

This is hardly a finished product to be Exhibited.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Todo13
Kabalite Warrior
Todo13

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 22:10

That last kabalite looks like a spider for some reason… great job on the archon!
Back to top Go down
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01 2011, 22:05

I HATE RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture058

This b*****d took me hours of the most mind numbing, punishing boredom ever. It's not neat and frankly I don't give a damn.
The thing with me is that I enjoy building and assembling models but painting them is a chore I have to endure. This is why I never finished the EC army either, even though I went to the extent of converting practically every single model and have more planned....
Aaargh.
Was worth it though. Worst part over, onto the detailing.
The crew will be painted separately and glued on.

I'm gonna have 2 other Raiders, plus 2 Ravagers. I sure as hell am not going to paint any of those in the same way.

Also, touched up the Archon a bit:

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture060
Back to top Go down
Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 07:54

The archon has improved quite a bit. And I must say the highlights on the Raider look pretty good to me! And I feel your pain. I'm working on a Raider and a Ravager right now, and it almost makes me want to kill myself :S.
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 07:56

Very nice work, If feel your pain, Raider chassis vehicles may be the most boring models to paint out of all of GW's products.
Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 17:46

Yeah, he's a b*****d alright. Straight after taking these pics he decides it's a good idea to fall on the floor and break off his sail.
Gotta love him.

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture062
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture063
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture064

I'll be doing my best to paint on a Lucky No.5 spot pattern on the sails and then it'll be done, bar the crew.

I also need to clean the paint flecks off the flying stand....

It never ends. No
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 18:37

I ended up drilling my sails out and magnetising them.

I'm so much happier now.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 18:50

I drilled and magnetized my sails as well. Also the Dark Lance. It's very convenient for games and transportation.

I'm excited to see the pattern. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://eyeoferror.blogspot.com/
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 19:02

How do you magnetise the darklance? Does the gunner come off, too?
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 19:26

yup, I magnetized there area where the lance platform connects to the hull.
The gunner is connected to the lance and comes off with it.

It's handy for all those weapon destroyed results. What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://eyeoferror.blogspot.com/
Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03 2011, 20:08

LuckyNo.5 wrote:
yup, I magnetized there area where the lance platform connects to the hull.
The gunner is connected to the lance and comes off with it.

It's handy for all those weapon destroyed results. What a Face

That's exactly what I did, too. I've magnetized the weapons and sails on all of my raiders, ravagers.
Back to top Go down
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 02:56

Well it's done. Not very well. Though I suppose this is to be expected as I was kind of figuring it out as I went along.

Doing the spots was actually rather enjoyable as I'd never painted that sort of pattern before. Base of bronzed flesh+bestial brown. Spots of the base colour mixed with white. A highlight of the spots with more white. I then filled out the edges with brown and black inks to achieve the faded affect. Got a bit messy on one side - the side I did first. Was a bit smoother on the other.

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture065

^^That's the good side.

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture067-1

^^That's not. affraid

I think I'll end up doing my other Raiders in a similar fashion. I quite like the effect.

5 is the new 7.
Back to top Go down
oberonson
Hellion
oberonson

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 04:26

Nice, how did you do the highlights? It shows on the gamesworkshop website, but its inacurate(the highlights come out too dark). I'm currently working on a Kabal of the Black Heart army and I cant seem to get the highlights right.
Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vharing
Hellion
vharing

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 07:38

How do you paint that textured look on the sails? It looks really good.
Back to top Go down
http://bloodangelsdarkeldarandtyranidsohmy.blogspot.com/
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 15:50

oberonson wrote:
Nice, how did you do the highlights? It shows on the gamesworkshop website, but its inacurate(the highlights come out too dark). I'm currently working on a Kabal of the Black Heart army and I cant seem to get the highlights right.
Thanks! Very Happy

I followed this guide: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=5&aId=12400033a&multiPageMode=true&start=6

But as you say, the highlight needs a lighter mix so I put more white in the final layer of paint.

I also mixed Hawk Turquoise and Scorpion Green to get the colour (my Raider looks like it has more turquoise than green on it but you can try and get it more even) ... mixed with a tiny bit of Chaos Black for the base colour. Highlights are a new mix (otherwise it ends up being greyish) with less black and the addition of white.

Make sure the base colour is pretty dark though. If not, then do a black wash over it.

What you'll need is a f**kload of patience and a fine detail brush. You'll hate the model before it's done. Guaranteed.

vharing wrote:
How do you paint that textured look on the sails? It looks really good.

I explained in the above post:

1. Base of bronzed flesh+bestial brown.
2. Spots of the base colour mixed with white.
3. A highlight of the spots with more white mixed in.
4. I then filled out the edges with brown and black inks to achieve the faded affect.

You should probably experiment on a spare triangle of paper or something to get the technique right, like I should have done.

Also note the pattern of the spots. Start at the bottom going from left to right and try to keep them small and close together.
Then do the line above, putting these spots ABOVE the gaps between the lower rows spots - this way you end up with the diagonal pattern:

Kabal of the Black Heart Spot_pattern_aqua_blue

^^Like that.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 08:25

Nice paiting... even you if are a filthy Vect supporter.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 09:07

Excellent job on the sail, it looks great!
Back to top Go down
Asrodrig
Hellion
Asrodrig

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 09:10

Very nice. I'm not really looking forward to painting my Raider either...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ARodriguez258
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 13:10

Update time!

As promised, progress is ... progressing... on both the Venom and Warriors. So I will meet the terms of my June Pledge. Probably.

Undercoated Venom:

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture047-1

Close up:

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture048-1

I am in love. It's like one of those tiny, high-performance sports cars that have only 2 seats. Beautiful economy of space.

I'll be gluing on the canopy and painting it after I do the pilot and cockpit.

Warriors undercoated:

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture049-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture050-1

Blaster converted from Shredder and Blast Pistol:

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture051-1

Just cut off the ammo clip, the barrel and the hand grip thing (?) and replace the barrel with the blast pistol's.

Bit fiddly, but works satisfactorily.
Back to top Go down
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14 2011, 21:08

Got some warriors on the go here. Armour is done, as well as gold. Metals need to be shaded and highlighted. Skin needs it's final highlight. Cloth needs everything. Skin tabard thing needs everything.

So about 50%.

The hair I did in 2 different ways to test techniques. I prefer the version on the helmet plume. Brighter, looks better and easier to paint. It needs the final highlight.

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture054-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture057-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture055-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture058-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture056-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture059

Lighting is bad cos it was the evening. The colours are brighter in reality.
Back to top Go down
killfrenzy
Hellion
killfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15 2011, 16:16

Slow and steady. A bright day today. Good light.

Kabal of the Black Heart Picture068-2
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture069-1
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture066-2
Kabal of the Black Heart Picture062-1

I'm getting there...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Black Heart   Kabal of the Black Heart I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Black Heart
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next