THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

When shots bounce back...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

When shots bounce back... Empty
PostSubject: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2019, 20:21

This rules quandary just popped into my head today:

Let's say you are shooting at a unit of Kastelan Robots (or some other unit that has the ability to reflect shots) with a unit embarked on a venom. The Robot rolls a 6 for one of its saves, which means that the shot gets reflected back in the form of a mortal wound.

Who takes the mortal wound? Does the unit that fired at it take a mortal wound, even though it isn't on the board, and thus, should not be targetable by any effects? Does the venom take the wound, though it technically was not the firing unit? Does the wound just get lost into the ether?
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2019, 21:38

The rule itself is pretty clear that the firing unit is the one that takes the wound. I took a look through the rulebook, designers commentary, stepping into the new edition, rulebook FAQ, and Admech FAQ (I hate rules bloat) and there's nothing that I can see that requires a model to be on the table to be killed, so best I can see, the embarked unit takes the mortal wound.
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

PostSubject: Re: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2019, 05:43

This is actually a pretty interesting conundrum. On one hand, you've got what TheBaconPope said. On the other, I'm pretty sure that there was something stating that embarked units cannot be targeted for any reason. My best bet rule-wise would be disappearing into the ether, but logically I would say the venom would get hit by a reflected shot.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2019, 14:44

Sarcron wrote:
This is actually a pretty interesting conundrum. On one hand, you've got what TheBaconPope said. On the other, I'm pretty sure that there was something stating that embarked units cannot be targeted for any reason. My best bet rule-wise would be disappearing into the ether, but logically I would say the venom would get hit by a reflected shot.

They are not really targetted
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2019, 19:00

However, I do not believe that there is any precedent in 8th edition for embarked models sustaining wounds of any kind while still remaining embarked, so that makes this questionable.
Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

PostSubject: Re: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2019, 06:27

Sarcron wrote:
... My best bet rule-wise would be disappearing into the ether, but logically I would say the venom would get hit by a reflected shot.

I would go with this. Either it just disappears or the venom gets the wound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When shots bounce back...   When shots bounce back... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When shots bounce back...
Page 1 of 1