THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta Empty
PostSubject: Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta   Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15 2017, 02:05

Greetings fellow Archons, Archites, Klaivex's, Haemonculi Lords, Concubines, Succubi and other assorted scum!

I got into a mid-game argument over a Soulburst and was hoping one of you fine targets could provide an answer for me.

I was playing Ynnari, my opponent AM. Oddly enough, a situation arose in which my opponent insisted that I could Soulburst whilst I believed that I could not. affraid

First, the Scenario: We have a large blob of Imperial Guard on the table. At one end of this BlobSquad, we have a Commisar in Unit Coherency with the Blob. At the other end, we have a Ynnari unit of Incubi such that one model is within 7" of a member of the BlobSquad. Elsewhere on the table, there is a Unit of Eldar Rangers who happen to be within Eldar Long Rifle Range of the Commisar.

The Commisar took a few Precision Shots from Ranger Fire and miraculously failed all of his LoS rolls, dying and thus allowing any Units within 7" of his Unit to trigger a Soulburst Action.

The Question: Does this allow my Unit of Incubi to Soulburst?

I would have ruled that: 'No, the Incubi can not Soulburst as they are not within 7" of the model that was eliminated.'

My opponent, on the other hand, believed that: 'I could Soulburst, because the Incubi were within 7" of the Unit the dead Commisar was attached to.'
I suspect this was because he wanted me to charge his Blobsquad rather than the Command Squad my Incubi were Klaive-ing for.

Could someone give me a second opinion, or point me towards the rule or current FAQ that clarifies this?
Cheers in advance.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta   Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15 2017, 02:55

Because the commissar, for the purposes of soulburst, is considered a "unit" himself when he dies, I'd think that anything that wanted to soulburst would need to be within 7" of his location when he died.

So basically, yes, you get to soulburst when an IC dies, but only if within soulburst range of that specific IC. The same is true if the reverse is what happened, where the unit died but the IC remained.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta   Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15 2017, 09:55

Unless it's some sort of Schrodinger's Commissar it can't be part of the unit that is completely destroyed and not part of it at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta   Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15 2017, 13:03

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
So basically, yes, you get to soulburst when an IC dies, but only if within soulburst range of that specific IC. The same is true if the reverse is what happened, where the unit died but the IC remained.

I thiught that was how it worked.

I've since found the FAQ about Soulburst allocation and immediacy vs Attack resolution, confirming what you've stated here.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta   Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soulburst, Independent Characters and Precision Shots; the confusing trifecta
Page 1 of 1