THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Advice for a Newbie

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Starr
Slave
Dark Starr

Advice for a Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28 2020, 17:53

Hi I'm planning on starting a Drukhari army, starting with 1,000 points then upgrading in 500 point steps up to 2,000 points. I have bought the Codex and the Wych starter set but think A Kabal of the Black Heart should be my core? Can anyone offer an advice of what to opt for in a 1,000-1,500 point army?

Opponents will be Marines, Orks and Tyranids.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28 2020, 18:51

This box set is sold out for now, for for all new players i always recommend this box, it also might go away so make sure to get on the email list when it comes back in stock

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Drukhari-Poisonblade-Raiding-Party-2019

As for what to focus as a Main? 9th is almost out and we do not know what is good or not good, Shooting will always be strong in 40k (Kabals) but melee is looking to be more and more better for 9th (Wyches) and Coven is tanky melee with some shooting. With that said Wych can also be made to shoot via Flyers, Raiders. Just Kabals get more re-rolls and other tricks where Coven and Wych can get +1 to wound and/or Damage and no re-rolls.

Lastly in 9th DE can take 3 patrols for free, meaning you can heavily customize your force. You can have a small force with Kabals 1 Archon 2 Kabals + venoms and 2 Ravagers for around 500-600pts dedicated to killing Marines, then making the rest all wyches and taking Aircraft, Reavers, Raiders all made to kill tanks and MC sense wyches are already good as infantry, and the 2 Kabal venoms are also good at that.

To help you more answer these two questions
1) What are your favorite DE models?
2) What style of play do you like best?

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Dark Starr
Slave
Dark Starr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28 2020, 21:38

I like most of the De models, especially the Kabal and Archos, plus the Razor s and Venom models. I like to hit hard and fast and usually take Light Horse or fast armies in other periods. In SYW I opted for Austrians with large battalions that could mow down their opposition., plenty of artillery and a light Corps.

I used to play Eldar back in  the day with units of 10 guardians with a weapon platform(either Pasma or a D-Cannon) with a squad of 6 jetbikes(2 with shuriken a cannon), plus a unit of vipers supported by 2 squads of Warp Spiders and 2Sxouts. I would pin with the Guardians while the bikes caused mayhem and the scouts would snipe at characters or jump pack units while the Warp Spiders took out bikes... It was very effective.

I'm wondering if units of 5, 10 0r 20 would be effective for Kabal or Wych units? I see Venom are great for units of 5,are Rivers much better?
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28 2020, 22:59

Kabals are best in 5mans with a blaster or shredder in a venom. Until we get a new book Gunboats are over costed and auras don't work in them. Go Flayed Skull for more Venom/Kabal focus with Flyers. Black Heart is good for Ravagers and Raiders. If you really want Vect stratagem (to stop other stratagems0 then just take BH, even with Venoms it works fine as they'll get a 6+++ save and thats not bad.

For Wyches 10mans are good b.c you get a 3rd weapon option in 10mans. Reavers are more of a harassment unit, to make them do more damage they need to be in Test of Skill. A Test of Skill patrol with Succubis 2x10 Wyches in Raiders, 2x6 Bikes (with a weapon) and maybe a Flyer or 2 isn't bad for a MC/Tank killing detachment. You will want more to kill tanks for sure, but they are you back up for that and the wyches are still good vs infantry. You can also take them in 3x10 Cursed blade to be melee blenders vs all units, a jack of all melee unit. At that point Reavers are pointless tho. Reavers are only good in Test of Skill and Red grief. I personally like them as Red Grief (Advance and Charge, they move 18+8" drug for 2" for a total of 28" and charges).

Back to top Go down
Dark Starr
Slave
Dark Starr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28 2020, 23:47

That's great advice thank you. Are Archos good or do you need more character models?
One more question too. Q.. What are better Scourges or Mandrakes?
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29 2020, 01:29

Dark Starr wrote:
That's great advice thank you. Are Archos good or do you need more character models?

Archons are ok, nothing special, they give a re-rolls aura and might do something. Don't relay on them and when they do something good its great.

Currently Mandrakes are better, but who knows in 9th.

Back to top Go down
harlokin
Kabalite Warrior
harlokin

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29 2020, 12:23

Dark Starr wrote:

Mandrakes are currently better than Scourges (alough the latter have nicer models), and from what we have seen from 9th so far (great emphasis on Close Combat and a nerf to Fly) I can only see this continuing.

Kabal of the Mon-Keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues
Cult of Veiled Malice
Back to top Go down
Dark Starr
Slave
Dark Starr

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29 2020, 21:38

Thank you for your advice it is most appreciated.

So if I took 2x5 Kabals with 2 Archos in 2 Venom with 10 Wyches plus a Succubus in transport what would I need to add to make a 1,00 point army?
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30 2020, 02:28

Get a Ravager or 2 and a RWJF if you are focusing on Kabal/Wych. B.c it looks like you are playing 2 Patrols you can still have 2 heavys and 2 flyers. This way you have some solid shooting. Mandrakes as we are talking are always good IMO, a lot of players uses when even for comp games.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a Newbie   Advice for a Newbie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice for a Newbie
Page 1 of 1