THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Talos or Ravanger

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24 2020, 16:20

I have been doing well in my meta with a kabal list consisting of Archon, Drazar, venoms, kabal, incubi, sslyth and razorwings. I know the new book is around
the corner and I should hold out but I am impatient. Is it worth adding 3 Talos in a auxiliary detatchment to a kabal or stick with the gunboats and why?

Back to top Go down
Oaka
Kabalite Warrior
Oaka

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24 2020, 17:51

Ignoring the upcoming codex changes- you don't need to ever add an auxiliary detachment like that. You lose all obsessions in an auxiliary detachment, so wouldn't be able to give those Talos a 4++ or Dark Technomancers. Rather, try to take advantage of the Raiding Force rules that allow you to take three Patrol detachments without having to spend command points. Drazhar is a free-flowing HQ choice (as are the Ynnari characters), so if you add 5 Wracks then you have a Patrol detachment of Drazhar, Wracks, Talos that can pick any of the Coven obsessions. If you aren't looking at three Patrol detachments just yet, it's better to stick to only Kabal units for your single detachment.

Taking the upcoming codex changes into consideration- it is likely that the rules will be very different and affect army composition. GW mentioned you will be able to mix Kabal, Coven, and Wych Cult in the same detachment without losing all the bonuses. I would expect Talos to come down a little bit in power, while weapon profiles for the Ravager should change to be more effective. Comparing the two units will come down to efficiency for their new points costs as well as how the obsessions/stratagems will change.

If you're looking for something to build/paint/use for the next couple months, I would suggest the Ravagers to boost your current list.
Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24 2020, 22:15

Im just not a big fan of degrading profiles. I also like the idea of 3 talos to soak up shots and rip flesh. I do see the merit in gunboats just trying to sell myself on something diffrent to paint.

I have seen others take auxulary with obseesions because it is a detatchment. Ill take a read over the rules to see why you can't. Do obssesions require an HQ?

Every game I have played I have never ran out of CP so I have never worried about the tripple patrol. I can probably fit a hemmy in somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Oaka
Kabalite Warrior
Oaka

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24 2020, 22:25

Subsanity wrote:

Im just not a big fan of degrading profiles. I also like the idea of 3 talos to soak up shots and rip flesh. I do see the merit in gunboats just trying to sell myself on something diffrent to paint.

Have you considered a Wraithknight or Wraithseer as a potential hobby project?  Wraithseers no longer have degrading profiles and soak up shots and rip flesh better than a Talos. I have been looking at an Yncarne + 3 Wraithseers as a Spearhead Detachment, built up as Drukhari models of course.

Subsanity wrote:

I have seen others take auxulary with obseesions because it is a detatchment. Ill take a read over the rules to see why you can't. Do obssesions require an HQ?

It's hidden in the rulebook on page 246.  I only found out about it because Craftworld players mentioned that Wraithknights can't benefit from any of the craftworld attributes.

DETACHMENT ABILITIES
Every Codex lists a set of abilities that units in a Detachment gain if every unit in that Detachment is from a specified Faction.  Units in Auxiliary Support Detachments, Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachments and Fortification Network Detachments never gain any Detachment abilities, even if every unit in that Detachment is from the Faction specified.
Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24 2020, 22:45

Thanks for the finding the rule I was actualy having an issue finding it lol. And yes wrathlords and wrathseer was something to consitter. I already have the ynnari models painted. Ill go over the synergy's in battlescribed. Could be a good idea!
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04 2021, 17:10

If you like Coven stuff, having 3 Taloi will give you enough bits to make quite a few Grotesques (conversions, google it).

From a fun/modeling perspective the Taloi would be more fun/useful. My crystal ball tells me that Ravagers may be better in the new Codex, but this thing never works right Wink
Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06 2021, 05:20

My actual hope is scourges will be good next codex. I just put it on hold and I have 10 blaster scourges I build after we lost trueborn. We will see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Talos or Ravanger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos or Ravanger   Talos or Ravanger I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Talos or Ravanger
Page 1 of 1