THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

3 Patrols

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2021, 20:21

Thought I'd have a go at making a list with the new book.

Obsidian Rose Patrol
Archon w/ Djin Blade, Blast Pistol, Hatred Eternal, Warlord
10 Truebown w/ 2x Blaster, Dark Lance
5 Kabalites w/ Blaster
5 Kabalites w/ Blaster
5 Incubi
Raider w/ Dark Lance, Splinter Racks

Poison Tongue Patrol
Archon w/ Agoniser, Soul Seeker, Soul Thirst
10 Truebown w/ 2x Shredder, Dark Lance
5 Mandrakes
5 Mandrakes
5 Scourges w/ 4x Heat Lance
Venom w/ 2x Splinter Cannon

Cursed Blade Patrol
Succubus w/ Shardnet and Impaler, Traitor's Embrace, Quicksilver Fighter, +1S
5 Wyches w/ Power Sword, Blast Pistol, +1S
5 Wyches w/ Power Sword, +1S
5 Wyches w/ Power Sword, +1S
9 Reavers w/ 3x Heat Lance, +1BS

2000pts

Partially just wanted to try out a lot of stuff. I had planned to use a unit of Bloodbrides but I ran out of points for that upgrade.

- The Kabalites all go in the Raiders (the 2 units of 5 will share one).
- The Wyches, Incubi, and one Mandrake unit will go in the Venoms.
- The warlord-Archon will go with the Incubi, the Succubus will go with the Power Sword Wych squad, and the Soul Seeker Archon will go with the Mandrakes.
- Scourges will Deep Strike.

The Kabalites will provide fire support, taking advantage of the fact that they can rapid-fire at max range (30" for the OR units).

Everything else will go forward and try to get into combat ASAP. The Archon and Incubi will go after an elite unit if possible, wyches will try to tie down weaker units, the Succubus will aim to get a character or monster (hopefully, even if she dies, the mortal wounds from Traitor's Embrace will finish it off). The second Archon will lurk and take shots at characters with the Soul Seeker - hopefully at least softening them up for the main Archon or Succubus to finish off. He and his Mandrakes might join combat a little later into the game, though he doesn't hit nearly as hard as my other characters so they'll be a bit more cautious.

The Trueborn, Reavers, Scourges and Raiders are on anti-vehicle duty (or anti-monster, as applicable). Though obviously they'll pump the rest of their splinter shots into any infantry they can reach.

Lastly, the Venoms will aim to shoot down heavy infantry.

(I haven't mentioned objectives because I haven't played a game of 9th yet, so I've yet to get a feel for that sort of thing.)

I know some stuff is not at all optimised (the second Archon in particular), but I'm trying to match the flavour of my characters and their models. I think there are probably better Succubus builds, too, but I really want to see one of my Succubi explode at least once. Laughing

Pippolele likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2021, 20:59

Hi, just a suggestion without changing any units in your army except for a relic and access to a strat. Change Poison Tongue Patrol to Merciless Razorkin / Torturous Efficiency. It just makes the shooting much more efficient than 3+ poison shots.

Soulless Samurai likes this post

Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2021, 22:40

Dalamar wrote:
Hi, just a suggestion without changing any units in your army except for a relic and access to a strat.  Change Poison Tongue Patrol to Merciless Razorkin / Torturous Efficiency.  It just makes the shooting much more efficient than 3+ poison shots.

Ah yes, RK/TE mathed out better, didn't it? Good point.

Only issue is that it leaves my second Archon without much of a role - as he won't be able to take the Soul Seeker anymore (I know it's terrible but I still like it for fluff reasons) and my Warlord Archon has already pilfered the one good melee weapon from their shared arsenal.  Razz

Still, I'll have a look at alternative possibilities and see if I can find something suitable.

Cheers for the suggestion.

fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26 2021, 17:16

One of the main benefits of going with the Patrols is the ability to take extra HQs (like Drazhar) and taking Cult of Strife. Would you consider taking either of these things?

I would be concerned about the lack of a hard "hammer" type unit. You have 5 Incubi and 9 Reavers for CC beatsticks, and the Scourges for a ranged beatstick. The Wyches hit hard, but dont have the D2 weapons that you will likely need (assuming your in a Marine Meta).

Poison Tongue allows you to do the Re-deploy shenanigans, which can be really strong in specific match ups.

I do really like the Vehicle heavy nature of this list, and I have not gotten in a game with the Codex yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Please let us know how it goes! I would love an excuse to put more transports on the table (they are my best painted models)
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26 2021, 17:32

fisheyes wrote:
One of the main benefits of going with the Patrols is the ability to take extra HQs (like Drazhar) and taking Cult of Strife. Would you consider taking either of these things?

Personally, I saw the main benefit as not having to deal with the RSR detachment. Wink

Joking aside, I wouldn't object to taking Cult of Strife in place of Cursed Blade. I haven't had a proper look at the rules yet but I'm presuming they're good?

As for Drazhar, I prefer not taking special characters if I can avoid it though I'll confess I'm at least curious to see how he performs. He looks like an absolute monster.

fisheyes wrote:

I would be concerned about the lack of a hard "hammer" type unit. You have 5 Incubi and 9 Reavers for CC beatsticks, and the Scourges for a ranged beatstick. The Wyches hit hard, but dont have the D2 weapons that you will likely need (assuming your in a Marine Meta).

That's a good point. I'd been leaning towards using the Venoms for anti-SM firepower but it's quite possible that won't be enough or that I'll need more ways to kill them in melee.

Can I ask if there's anything you'd suggest?

Just wondering if you're thinking of some Coven units, larger units of Wyches (so that they can take Wych weapons), Hellions, more Incubi, or something else entirely.

fisheyes wrote:
Poison Tongue allows you to do the Re-deploy shenanigans, which can be really strong in specific match ups.

I do really like the Vehicle heavy nature of this list, and I have not gotten in a game with the Codex yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

It's fine, I'm very much lacking for experience when it comes to 9th so all comments are very much appreciated. Smile

And yeah, I always like vehicle-heavy lists with DE. Whether or not it's effective, it pleases me to have a lot of units in transports.  Razz

fisheyes wrote:
Please let us know how it goes! I would love an excuse to put more transports on the table (they are my best painted models)

Not sure when I'll be able to get a game due to neverending lockdown but as soon as I manage to play I'll try and do a battle report for you.

Cheers for the feedback.

fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27 2021, 15:23

I was thinking those same units for the D2 weapons. Playing a game today and bringing them all to try and get a feel. My gut tells me the cheapness of Incubi, and the speed+ MWs of hellions will be awesome.

But they are both paper thin, so setting up those traps will be the main focus. Easier said than done, haha. Maybe Grots will win out, even though they cost 2.5x more than the Incubi due to their (slight) toughness?

I'm really excited to find out Very Happy

Soulless Samurai likes this post

Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28 2021, 22:32

I could certainly try and fit in another unit of Incubi. At the moment I've only got one unit of them but I've been working on some conversions so I'll have to try and hurry those along.

Hellions could also be fun to try out.

There's even the possibility of another Succubus - as they actually seem good enough for me to want to have more than just the minimum requirement in my list now.

Incidentally, I take back what I said in a different thread - I definitely can't fit everything I want into my list. Razz

Incidentally, not really related to this list but sometime I'd kinda like to try an Archon with some Grotesques in a Raider. Basically the sort of thing I used to use back in 7th edition with the Grotesquerie.

sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29 2021, 00:05

Initial observations from my first game against my regular opponent who plays DG:

-The Tormentor rule on Drazhar and Incubi along with.numerous ways to modify leadership is an amazing deterrent.  It’s a real gamble to charge them now.

-Wyches!  Wyches are now cheaper, better Harlequins in many ways.  I ran 3 x 10 squads of Cursed Blade with + 1 Str and two Wych weapons and those ladies just wreck stuff now.  And doing MWs on 6+ when you save is a sneaky good way to finish off that last 1-2 models if you don’t kill them all.  

-Mandrakes new ability to leave the board and come back at the end of a movement phase makes scoring secondaries much easier.  They’re a great toolbox unit and I can’t ever see leaving home without them.  

-Blade Artist and -1 AP on Wracks plus the Potent Metal Toxins strat makes Wracks decent at tying up and grinding down most light vehicles and infantry. For just holding your backfield and being a nuisance to get rid of they’re great. 

-The Tryptich Whip Master Succubus with Precision Blows is INSANE. Her, a unit of 10 Wyches, 10 Mandrakes, and five Scourges cleared an entire half of the board over three turns and basically won me the game, while the rest of my army kept my opponents Terminators fixed in place on two objectives in one corner of the board until Turn 5 when I’d already gotten too far ahead on points to catch up.  

-Take Them Alive is a decent secondary if your opponent has melee characters or characters that want to buff melee units. We’re fast enough to get to most relatively squishy support characters.  Two characters and four non-vehicle units killed in melee is a fairly easy ten point secondary against most armies.

Last edited by sweetbacon on Mon Mar 29 2021, 10:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29 2021, 01:25

Got my first game in, and I got to agree with you on a lot of points. Incubi and Succubi are freaking amazing.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29 2021, 08:12

Had a game over TTS as well with the new book. Trip Patrols are indeed the way to go.

3 Patrols Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Patrols   3 Patrols I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3 Patrols
Page 1 of 1