THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment

Go down 
+6
sekac
Skulnbonz
Yziel
Glass Battleaxe
Zenotaph
Count Adhemar
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Fremen
Hellion
Fremen

Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment Empty
PostSubject: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 12:14

This issue arise in my community. Lets assume we have a Auxiliary detachment with one unbound unit of Boreworm Infestation. Can it be treated as Cult of Strife unit in terms of suplement? According to some people yes and they are using the logic of Drahazar and Incubi that can create any drukhari obsesion patrol. In my opinion this is exploit as hell, but maybe I am missing something? 🤔 Because if it is true than for just 15pts and -1CP you can unlock goodies from book of rust.

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 14:25

Uh, hmm, well, aah.... What is a Boreworm infestation?

Hellion
Fremen

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 14:31

Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment Img_2010

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 15:01

And why would that thing gain any Drukhari Obsession? Or take advantage of a Stratagem?

Hellion
Fremen

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 15:09

It does not gain the benefis, it unlocks them due to the rule from the book of rust. For example you can use it along with realspace detachment.

"Some rules in this section refer to a CULT OF STRIFE Detachment. This is one that only includes units with the CULT OF STRIFE keyword (excluding units specified under BLADES FOR HIRE and units with the UNALIGNED keyword)."

Kabalite Warrior
Yziel

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 15:24

Drukhari Detachments get assiged a Kabal, Cult or Coven if you are Battleforged. A Drukhari detachment is any detachment that only include models with the Drukhari keyword, excluding models with the unaligned keyword.

Since there are no Drukhari models in the detachment it cannot be designated a Cult of Strife detachment. It works for Drazhar because he is a Drukhari model.

That's how it reads to me at least.
Back to top Go down
Fremen
Hellion
Fremen

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 15:32

Yeah, that is how I undertand it. But the argument here is that no drukhari does not mean that there is some other faction so the rule is not broken.

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 15:50

I go with Yziel! No Drukhari, no Cult of Strife.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 21:53

I suspect most TO's are going to rule against that. It's a dubious interpretation of the detachment rules and a blatant exploit. It would be helpful if GW issued an errata to say that a detachment must contain at least one HQ choice of the appropriate (sub) faction in order to qualify as a detachment of that (sub) faction.

Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01 2021, 23:07

I so feel like an absolute noob! What is TO?

Kabalite Warrior
Glass Battleaxe

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02 2021, 00:52

Zenotaph wrote:
I so feel like an absolute noob! What is TO?

It means 'tournament organizer/official' - whichever you prefer.
Back to top Go down
Yziel
Kabalite Warrior
Yziel

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02 2021, 09:17

I don't really see how the part saying a Cult of Strife detachment is a detachment that only contain Cult of Strife models (excluding Blades and Unaligned) could reasonably be assigned to a detachment with 0 Cult of Strife models.

At the very least it's a clear use of an exploit that I don't think a TO would alive and one that would make most casual opponents just nope out. I certainly wouldn't want to play anyone like that, there would be moee rules arguing than playing.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06 2021, 14:25

Cult of Strife is special in the game of 40k due to its wording.

Any other DE detachment could do that, but CoS specifically only allows Wych units. So you could throw a unit of Wyches into your Black Heart patrol, but you CANNOT put a unit of Warriors into your CoS Patrol. Same with the Blackstone Fortress UrGhurl (who has his own datasheet beyond the Court of the Archon datasheet)

Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 12:38

Hello, sometimes tournament official here.

A unit is an "Thingy" detachment is it contains units with the "Thingy" faction. If nothing in the detachment has the Cult of Strife detachmet, then it is not a Cult of Strife detachment.
If you take an any kind of detachment, the only factions it can possibly have are the factions it's units have in common.

The reason is simple: there's actually no such thing as a "Thingy" detachment. DETACHMENTS do not gain faction labels. We just describe them that way. They are actually "detachments in which ever unit has the "Thingy" faction". THAT is how the rules define them, not as "Thingy" detachments.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 12:43

so an unbound detachment of 5 wyches for 50 points will do the exact same thing OP was trying to do?
Still a great deal to unlock those sweet sweet strats.

Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 14:05

Skulnbonz wrote:
so an unbound detachment of 5 wyches for 50 points will do the exact same thing OP was trying to do?

Uh, but those sweet strats only work on those 5 Wyches...

Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 14:12

Zenotaph wrote:
Skulnbonz wrote:

Uh, but those sweet strats only work on those 5 Wyches...

Not necessarily. If there are other cult of strife models, they can use the Book of Rust strats too. For instance I run a Realspace Raiders detachment with several cult of strife units. I also run a cult of strife patrol with just Deazhar and 5 wyches. This opens up the strats that any cult of strife can use.

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 14:21

@sekac and i gotta say that you inspired me one list when i first saw what you were doing with the RSR and Strife in another post Smile Thank you for that!
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 14:34

I talked to my local experts, they tell me that you can unlock CoS with Blades for Hire, due to the wording.

So a 2CP Aux detatchment with Draz could count as a "CoS Detatchment", and unlock the strats for your RSR that contained CoS.

I dont think your Worm guy has "Blades for Hire" keyword, but this does open up some eldar trickery Smile
Back to top Go down
Fremen
Hellion
Fremen

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 17:52

Thanks guys for feedback. And to be clear that was not my idea Wink For me this is na exploit and should not be legal.

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 19:07

There are deeper janks available to us, along these lines.

40k has become a really complex beast. Almost makes me sentimental of 3ed edition (until I start to remember the rules for moral and vehicles)
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 19:13

fisheyes wrote:
So a 2CP Aux detatchment with Draz could count as a "CoS Detatchment", and unlock the strats for your RSR that contained CoS.

I don't think that's true. Detachments don't get assigned factions just on a whim, their faction is defined by whatever faction the units in it have in common. If none of the units in the detachment are capable of being Cult of Strife, then there's no way it can be called a Cult of Strife Detachment.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07 2021, 21:46

in my RSR list, i added a Patrol Detachment cult of Strife.
In it there's only Drazhar, Lelith (just for the fun of playing her) and a 10man squad of Wyches.
In my RSR, the cult family is also Strife and there is 1x Succubus and 2 squads of 5 Wyches.
(the 2 squads of 5 Wyches are to be embarqued each with 5 incubis inside raiders)

This way i unlock the stratagems and i can use them on my Wyches of the RSR detachment Smile

I did not try this list yet, but can't wait!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment   Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auxiliary unbound Cult of Strife detachment
Page 1 of 1