THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...

Go down 
+2
Zenotaph
Kalmah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... Empty
PostSubject: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18 2021, 21:04

Well, its a Sunday evening, I am watching TV. Actually, its "Ready, Player one!"
And I thought, hell, wouldnt it be sweet to go online as an Archon?
OK, IOI all would go as Ultra-Smurfs. Fitting, I think.

Well, whatever...
It came to my mind, that I pretty often find my self in situations, all of them very normal,
where I almost automatically put them in relation to our beloved hobby.
Watching old seasons of Stargate: those Goa'uld are the perfect Archons. Really!
Mr Burns is Asdrubael Vect. Believe me, he really is...

Ok, I know, I could be a bit obsessive, but am I the only one?
What about you guys?

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19 2021, 14:27

Haha, for sure.

Like whenever people talk about odds, and we already know the odds of one dice roll is 17%.

"Oh ya, like a 33% chance of that thing happening on 2 rolls out of 6" and everyone looks at you like your a math god. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19 2021, 15:36

In the supermarket today! Some kids were discussing, how much they had to pay.
I said, its 1,66€ each, since it was 10€ and they were 6. They still took out their Smartphones.
But the looks on their faces were hillarious. lol!

Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20 2021, 10:47

I got into 40K when my son was 9 years old, and taught about a dozen of his mates to paint and play too.
I didn't even get into playing myself for several years!

As a parent I immediately saw the benefits to kids.

It gives a great grasp of probability, especially distribution: how a big handful of dice will usually give the same sort of result, but if you die on a single 1, that can't be ignored.
It even shows parallels with things like disease or accidents: most people won't get hurt on a skateboard, but if breaking your wrist the day before an exam costs you a university place, your risk analysis will change in a big way.

Very few people have a good understanding of how small incremental changes can affect large systems: understanding how one piece of dropped litter barely changes a forest, but if everyone thinks that way it creates a problem. One power sword can swing an early combat that swings an objective that wins a game!

Learning how to properly order your Warhammer shooting, namely start with the models that only have one target, so you don't waste their efficacy by destroying their only target with a big gun that could shoot something else, gives a great parallel to learning good triage at work: arriving at a chaotic situation and working out what to do first, who to assign to which task, what can wait until later.

Tabletop gaming teaches many decision-making skills, and I have become a better thinker from playing games!
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20 2021, 12:47

For sure!

I started playing back when I as 13 years old. Taught me a lot about reading legal documents (it was an undergrad degree equivilent trying to play out the moral phase in past editions XD). Stood me in good stand for my later career!

Plus the obvious math angle Wink
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20 2021, 14:27

For my part, its actually helping me in my job!
Not the game itself, but how GW writes their rules lol.
I work with engineers all day long and i'm reading bidding packages and stuffs that are all linked to mechanical engineering.
Now, when i read a bidding package or an installation manual for an appliance, i always apply the principle of ''keywords'' à-la 40K.

For example: if this situation happen, then this product won't apply, so you need to change for this one unless situation x happens etc....a little bit just like the rules we have to respect when building our lists or playing the game.

Thank you GW! Smile
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20 2021, 14:42

I used my GW paints at work. We had a new machine, but when it came, it took a bad scratch,
because our guys tried to move it down the stairs. Luckily I had my painting tools with me.
I bet, our big boss still dont know about it. Boy, he would have shouted, a Whaaaaagh is nothing against him.
He was, well, a bit choleric. Ok, more than just a bit actually.

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20 2021, 18:35

@Kalmah that is literally what I do too.

"OK, where are the exclusions, how do they define this word, where is the fine print".

Edit: Also, "is this an old set of documents that were updated 15 times over a series of DLC". Classic GW XD

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22 2021, 05:56

I have my job because of 40k. A friend offered me a job as an assembler at an electronics manufacturing company his in-laws own. He ended up leaving the company only a few weeks after I got hired but I've been there 6 years and am now the production supervisor.

I did really well as an assembler because I've spent my life assembling models. Dexterous hands, good up-close vision, an eye for detail, the ability to follow assembly instructions are all transferable from hobby to jobby. 

And I learned skills like soldering and gained the knowledge and confidence to expand my hobby abilities into installing LEDs in models. 

Recently there was a design idea that engineers wanted to test out and I was given the opportunity to prove if it was workable. It involved airbrushing these frames with a conductive paint to make a small Faraday Cage. They knew I airbrush models and use conductive paint to make LED circuits so I was uniquely familiar with the tools and materials within the company despite having no engineering degree  Laughing

So yeah, mini-wargaming has affected my real life, and my professional life in particular often and in many weird ways. But getting better at one also makes me better at the other, so it works out!
I

commandersasha likes this post

Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22 2021, 13:32

sekac wrote:
They knew I airbrush models and use conductive paint to make LED circuits so I was uniquely familiar with the tools and materials within the company despite having no engineering degree  Laughing
I

If you wanted to do a post explaining more about conductive paint circuits and how you use them in modelling, I'd love to read it! <3
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22 2021, 16:46

Actually I know a bit about Light Emitting Diods and Integrated Circuits. Part of my job.
Blinking and beeping is not so difficult. Of course its only practical on Terrain and big Minis.

Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22 2021, 18:20

Zenotaph wrote:
Actually I know a bit about Light Emitting Diods and Integrated Circuits. Part of my job.
Blinking and beeping is not so difficult. Of course its only practical on Terrain and big Minis.

I've done LEDs for smaller minis too. I also play Star Wars Legion which is 28mm just like 40k. I've converted my Sith characters to all have red glowing lightsabers.

The smallest 3V coin cell is a CR1025 (10mm diameter by 2.5mm thick) you can easily fit one under any size base. Then I use 2 magnets as the positive and negative contacts for the battery that also keep the battery from falling off when you pick the model up to move it. I hide the resistor underneath the base if I have room, or cover it with basing material if I don't. Then I literally just use a silver based paint pen to draw the circuit onto the model--no wires necessary. Then cover the LED with sticky tack and prime the model which both hides and protects the silver paint.

commandersasha and CptMetal like this post

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23 2021, 08:11

sekac wrote:
Zenotaph wrote:

I've done LEDs for smaller minis too. I also play Star Wars Legion which is 28mm just like 40k. I've converted my Sith characters to all have red glowing lightsabers.

The smallest 3V coin cell is a CR1025 (10mm diameter by 2.5mm thick) you can easily fit one under any size base. Then I use 2 magnets as the positive and negative contacts for the battery that also keep the battery from falling off when you pick the model up to move it. I hide the resistor underneath the base if I have room, or cover it with basing material if I don't. Then I literally just use a silver based paint pen to draw the circuit onto the model--no wires necessary. Then cover the LED with sticky tack and prime the model which both hides and protects the silver paint.

Care to do a thread with pictures?
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23 2021, 13:11

Thats some interesting Tech!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...   How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How WH40k affect our normal live, and sometimes we dont even know...
Page 1 of 1