THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Using Corsairs

Go down 
+7
Jebei
colinsherlow
Count Adhemar
Burnage
Zenotaph
Pippolele
daxxglax
11 posters
AuthorMessage
daxxglax
Slave
daxxglax

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04 2022, 19:51

I'm very excited about the Corsair models' whole look, and will definitely be taking them for a spin in Kill Team (which, let's face it, they were designed for first and foremost). Nonethless, taking them as a tack-on unit in 40k seems pretty fun, and I think they might do more for us than for the Craftworlds. I definitely want to figure out a role for those beautiful models alongside my dark kin!

I won't pretend they're a huge boon or anything- for the most part, they don't offer anything we can't do already. Kabalites are cheaper, a unit of Trueborn would probably be better (at the same price), and the Wyches' subfaction bonuses, combat drugs, and PfP make them outshine the Corsairs in melee. Still, 10 points for 2 power sword attacks (or 12 for 3) with auto-wounds on 6's To Hit isn't the worst thing in the world.

And of course they give us easy access to a psyker (which unfortunately doesn't give us access to the Warpcraft secondaries due to not being a Character), but the majority of powers in the Runes of Fate/Fortune disciplines benefit <Craftworld> Eldar exclusively. Still, Fateful Divergence is very straightforwardly useful- a 72% chance each turn of gaining a CP is great for us, and Impair Senses (prevents a unit from being affected by auras) is a nice debuff.

I also might like to use a unit of Voidreavers in a Raider with shuriken rifles (since Splinter Racks specifically affects Rapid Fire weapons), Shredders, and a Shuriken Cannon (much superior to the Splinter Cannon), just for fun.

Thoughts on uses for our piratical friends?
Back to top Go down
Pippolele
Hellion
Pippolele

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05 2022, 01:16

I was thinking precisely of your void reaver unit for anti infantry shooting duties: S4 Ap-1 (AP-3 on 6 to hit) is a much better anti infantry output then our standard splinter rifles (particularly against T3)
Furthermore they let us do it in.a cult or coven detachment
Which normally would be lacking shooting elements
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07 2022, 13:04

Uh, ahem, well, jeah, hmmm, what are Voidreavers exactly?? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07 2022, 13:19

Voidreavers are the new Corsair troops. You can slot them into any Craftworld or Drukhari detachment (although they can't fill mandatory slots). For 10 points each, you can equip them as either stronger Storm Guardians (shuriken pistol + power sword), or substantially better Kabalites (shuriken rifle).

Voidscarred are the Corsair elite choice. Same deal as Voidreavers regarding how you take and equip them, except they're 12 points each instead with +1 attack over the Voidreavers. They also have multiple options for pseudo-characters; one psyker, one damage negator, one mini-assassin.

They're neat but they're probably not an auto-inclusion in most lists.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07 2022, 18:16

Also remember they can go in raiders, and their rifles are rapid fire so work with splinter racks.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07 2022, 21:37

135 points for a 10-man Troop choice with 2 blasters and a wraithcannon doesn't seem too shabby.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21 2022, 18:59

I play with a 10man voidreavers with blasters and a wraithcannon and 5 voidscarred + wayseeker.

I really enjoyed both units.
The 6s to hit autowounding and counting as 6s to wound was really nice and better than expected. And blasters and wraithcannon were pretty good, but definitely a bit weaker than trueborn in that part. But still totally useavle. And they are cheaper than trueborn especially since you have to take a master archon as well. So give and take for AT.

The voidscarred were really interesting and I want to take them all the time now. I used them mainly for the way seeker for the psych power fateful divergence for extra CPs which was really great and worth the 85pt price tag of the unit. The occasional smite has been nice as well. I use the unit for a backline scoring unit as well.

Anyways I really enjoyed the corsairs and I will be thinking of adding them to more of my lists. I was quite impressed by them.
Back to top Go down
Jebei
Hellion
Jebei

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27 2022, 16:37

I'm not sure where I could best use Corsairs as they take an elite slot which can easily be filled by a worthy Drukhari choice.Maybe to add a shooty unit to a Coven or Cult Detachment or to add a wraith cannon(or two) in a 20 man squad?

The psyker is a different option but is it worth the points or will it be a poor option facing the likes of Thousand sons when a helm of spite on a Haemonculus is the best we you can offer?

Any advice welcome.
Back to top Go down
Dabbarexe
Hellion
Dabbarexe

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28 2022, 09:18

As far as I can see, their cost can quickly get out of control for their actual impact. You're probably best off running the Voidscarred MSU, 5 man powerswords with a Wayseeker. Against non-tau, take them with the CP farm power and sit them in the back. They can do RND in their quarter as a 6-man unit then sit on the home objective with a 2+ in cover with strats. Mist shields on the Felarch for a 4++ against Ignore cover shooting is also an option. 5 powerswords and the mist stave should be good into anything small enough to deepstrike into your lines. Tau will blow them off the board with indirect, but Tau blow everything off the board.

Against Tau, taking Executioner power and pushing them upfield in a venom to blow up shield drones and tank overwatch is an option. Remember if you base Tau battlesuits, they can only shoot at what's basing them. Using this small unit to clear drones with Executioner and powerswords, tank that in-combat shooting while your heavy hitters move in could be valuable.

Aside from that, the troops version provides solid anti-infantry firepower that we don't really have otherwise. The math does well against Tau and Eldar, while 6's to hit auto-wounding with High AP means even Custodes infantry can take a hit. I would run 10 with 2 blasters and a shuriken cannon. Keep in mind Splinter Racks works with 'Rapid Fire' weapons, not just Splinter weapons. That means their rifles are hitting with max shots when loaded up on a Raider with Racks. It's 'decent' in the Eldar codex, but quite desirable in ours.

The downside to them is the fact that we can also easily ally with Harlequins, and Harlequins are way better. The absolute best version of Drukhari is currently minimum Drukhari, and as many 'Quins as you can fit in a patrol. "Pure" Drukhari lists, however, can find a lot of benefit from the Corsairs.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28 2022, 12:00

Count Adhemar wrote:
135 points for a 10-man Troop choice with 2 blasters and a wraithcannon doesn't seem too shabby.
Is that the voidscarred or the voidreavers version?

Is there a way to create a corsair patrol detachment in a Drukhari army? Like a cult patrol, a coven patrol and a corsair patrol?

Can we buy Raiders for the pirates in a corsair patrol detachment (if that exists)?

If they are good, I consider converting all my Kabalites into Corsairs. I love the pirate background and have wanted that for my Kabalites for years.
I somewhere read that they need a corsair HQ for that or something...
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28 2022, 16:16

CptMetal wrote:

Is there a way to create a corsair patrol detachment in a Drukhari army? Like a cult patrol, a coven patrol and a corsair patrol?

Can we buy Raiders for the pirates in a corsair patrol detachment (if that exists)?

If they are good, I consider converting all my Kabalites into Corsairs. I love the pirate background and have wanted that for my Kabalites for years.

The short answer is no.

The long answer you need Prince what's his face from Iyanden as the HQ, but he is Iyanden, so the patrol is a craftworld patrol.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28 2022, 16:30

Dalamar wrote:
CptMetal wrote:

The short answer is no.

The long answer you need Prince what's his face from Iyanden as the HQ, but he is Iyanden, so the patrol is a craftworld patrol.

So the average voidreaver has the Drukhari keyword but that prince has not??

The corsair rules state that every unit in the detachment has to have the corsair keyword for them to be able to fill compulsory slots?
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2022, 17:30

Prince Yriel has the following keywords

Faction: Aeldari, Asuryani, Anhrathe, Iyanden
Keywords: Character, Infantry, Autarch, Prince Yriel

So the answer to your questions are.

1. Yes
2. Correct every unit must have the Anhrathe Faction Keyword for them to fill Compulsory slots.

So this means the only pure Corsair detachment is an Iyanden Craftworld deatchment with the prince and only Voidscarred or the Voidreavers, with NO transports of any kind.

sekac likes this post

Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30 2022, 02:03

I converted my trueborn out of kabalite warrior legs and arms with the Dark Elf Corsairs' (whatever they're called these days, with the sea dragon cloaks from AoS) torsos and heads.

So happy to se the new corsairs have dragon cloaks too. So I already have 9 ready to go (no dark lance option). I was originally going to magnetize the hell out of this new kit but not looking forward to that... I think I'll mostly just go with the most badass pose on this kit  Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Using Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Corsairs   Using Corsairs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using Corsairs
Page 1 of 1