THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

BL: Path Of The Renegade

Go down 
+19
Archon
Cavash
Lady Malys
Siticus the Ancient
Anggul
Painbiro
Rabid Bunny
V'rach
Aroshamash
Levitas
PartridgeKing
Preacher
Nomic
Cailos
Gobsmakked
Azdrubael
Massaen
SirTainly
Sky Serpent
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11 2012, 01:01

I'd more agree with the thought that yeah, Scourges weren't quite as well portrayed, as they are far higher ranked than simple Hellions. I would disagree about the portrayal of haemonculi, though - while Syiin certainly was of the sniveling crawler type, the haemonculi masters and Bellathonis especially were portrayed as quite powerful, intelligent and respectable characters. Yes, Bellathonis was always on the lookout from the whims of Malixian, but that's to be expected - they themselves are in no way in charge of the kabals like the Archons are, and around a nutcase as Malixian one has to beware. At the very same time Bellathonis always had the air of being truly in charge when the arts of flesh were concerned, as I think it was proper.

I agree about Morr. Morr is amazing and makes me anxious for Path of the Incubi. He made me love the Incubi far more than I did before, as it takes strong character to stick to the honorbound code of the Incubi to such a degree that Morr showed.

Makes one ponder about just how deep is his connection with Morr of Warhammer. The image certainly is more than fitting... The bit with namedropping Arhra was also... intriguing. I suppose we'll find out more in the second book, whenever that comes out.

Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11 2012, 17:46

Regarding the sense of the size of Commorragh, I think the only times anyone 'sees' it all are in dreams. As the content of a dream isn't usually straightforward at the best of times, I see no problem with dreaming that one can see all of the impossibly vast Dark City Smile In fact, I think it's even pointed out in one of the dreams that this view is impossible. After all, the satellite realms are compared to jewels, but no-one understands this to mean that they are literally rubies and diamonds Smile

Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29 2012, 20:43

I have only started reading the book today, and have only got to chapter 3; but so far I am disapoointed. The charecters feel too human, their emotions do not flick between extremes like I imagine a DEldar's would. I hate the depiction of the Haemonculi, The Archon's I have met so far aren't mad enough and Commorragh seems to be tiny. Andy Chambers must have some sort of curse as he is able to make me imagine Commorragh as being no bigger than a Shropshire village.

I am committed to finishing it, however, and I really, really hope it gets better.

BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29 2012, 21:16

Cavash wrote:
I have only started reading the book today, and have only got to chapter 3; but so far I am disapoointed. The charecters feel too human, their emotions do not flick between extremes like I imagine a DEldar's would. I hate the depiction of the Haemonculi, The Archon's I have met so far aren't mad enough and Commorragh seems to be tiny. Andy Chambers must have some sort of curse as he is able to make me imagine Commorragh as being no bigger than a Shropshire village.

I am committed to finishing it, however, and I really, really hope it gets better.

Don't worry, it does. I, too, was massively disappointed at first, but when it kicks off it really is a good read.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 11:56

Quote :
really hope it gets better.
Not much. It will start to have some interesting things, but there will also be complete holes in logic and very poor character development.

Compare to Path of Warrior, Path of Seer i must way i am dissapointed.
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 18:19

Azdrubael wrote:
Quote :
really hope it gets better.
Not much. It will start to have some interesting things, but there will also be complete holes in logic and very poor character development.

Compare to Path of Warrior, Path of Seer i must way i am dissapointed.

I would say similar but the final battle in Path of the Seer is so mind-searingly stupid and poorly written that it ruins the book for me.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09 2012, 19:18

I just finished Path of the Renegade and I must say it is one of the best Black Library books I have read. I thought the characters and City of Commoragh itself were well portrayed. Keep in mind that while this book is about an utterly alien civilization, it is meant for a human audience. Smile It was also refreshing to read a book about 40K written by someone who had played and understood the game!
Back to top Go down
Firdeth
Hellion
Firdeth

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09 2012, 19:39

I also thought it was a good book ah well personal taste and all that, I actually really dislike Thorpe's writing. I prefer Chambers' style. There are some fluff pieces I dislike, like the mentioned Scourges, and sometimes it feels like he is just repeating parts of the codex. I can forgive the latter as it is probably done so that everybody knows what is being described instead of just blotting down a name only the inside crowd gets.
BL books always had their flaws in terms of background whether because of writers imaginations running wild or simply being uninformed. Only very minor stuff in this book that did not detract from enjoying it.

I agree that the characters are portrayed too human but it is very difficult to not write that way as it would seriously bore or even confuse most readers. These are books for a mass market with a great range of age groups. I think Chambers did well keeping it simple but not too simple.

I also did not get the feeling Commoragh was small, on the contrary, but more strictly organized than I imagined. I always thought there were numerous invisible and constantly shifting political borders if anyone knows what I means. Everything seemed to have been set in stone for ages.

Cannot wait for March next year and really hope to see Morr again! Incubi are cool anyway but he was awesome. I got what I expect from any BL book, a nice story that you read through in a day or two.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24 2012, 20:54

I'm afraid to say I was really disappointed with this one, Morr was good, very good, but as for everything else, well it just didn't seem very Dark Eldar, SPOILER - I felt that it was more a book about chaos and how easy they find it to dupe the dark eldar rather than how cunning and just how many layers of plotting an archon is capable of.

Shame because I like Andy Chambers, his skaven tactics article in the back of the army book is one of my nostalgic moments in the hobby, so much so i bought a copy even once it had been replaced by the new version.

Here's to the next one being better.
TBE

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13 2012, 00:14

Anyone who enjoyed this book and is looking forward to the next installment should read the following thread where Andy Chambers answers some questions...

http://thebolthole.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1586

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13 2012, 21:34

I finally got around to finishing this book today. I was reserved and a bit disapinted at the first half and I lost interest and put it down, just to pick it up last night and read the last 240 pages. I must admit that it got better the more that I went through, although I think Black Library authors are against me. They always kill of my favorite charecters.
It has a nice ending, but I was expecting something more war-ish. I am looking forward to Path of the Incubus.

Back to top Go down
Levitas
Kabalite Warrior
Levitas

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13 2012, 23:38

Anyone else hankering for a cross over with Gav Thorpes Path books? It's almost like they will, then they dont...

Path of the Outcast and path of the Incubi have potential to over lap.

Dark Eldar 2k, Space Wolves 3k, Raven Guard 3k
Back to top Go down
Old Crow
Slave
Old Crow

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15 2012, 19:37

I have only Just reached the end of chapter three in the this book but I must say I'm also very disappointed. I really feel as If I'm reading about human characters in Eldar skin. I haven't read Gav's path series yet but there is just so very very little in dialogue, mannerisms, emotions, mindsets and outlooks of the dark kin in this book that remotely makes them feel alien and 'different'.

I did however like Chambers depictions of the different districts and tiers of Commorragh and how the arena functioned, that was all very well executed.

SPOLIER!

The appearance of Vect was a huge disappointment! The way he appeared on the gigantic screen was cliche and unimaginative (not to mention comical) that it just elicited a painful moan from me. O and Vect's dialogue in that scene was cringy, uninspired mustache twirling villain anyone?

Either way I will finish it and hopefully my views will change.

Last edited by Old Crow on Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15 2012, 20:06

I agreed with everything that you had to say in the first half of the book, especially on the humans in DEldar skin point. I do have to say that this changed, in my opinion, in the later chapters when other charecters are introduced.

One thing that somebody pointed out earlier, look out for Morr. Morr's awesome.

Back to top Go down
Vah' Ruith
Slave
Vah' Ruith

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10 2012, 07:56

I loved Path of the Renegade. I'm aware most BL novels can be hit-and-miss, but this one was quite good by their standards. I feel that the Archons being "too human" is all part of what make Dark Eldar great. Out of all the races, Dark Eldar are the most reflective of current society. Arrogance, power-lust, violence, and complete disregard of others are all powerful elements of those in the higher echelons. In an exaggerated and grimdark context, of course.

My biggest dislike of book however was Asdrubael Vect. Sitting in a floating obsidian tower projecting his giant face reminds me of ever bad, cheese cartoon villain I ever watched as a kid, like the bad guy from Crash Nitro Kart. Personally I think Lord Vetinari from Terry Pratchetts Diskworld novels would make the perfect Asdrubael Vect. His is a special kind of madness.

PostSubject: Re: BL: Path Of The Renegade   BL: Path Of The Renegade - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BL: Path Of The Renegade
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2