THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Djinn Blade- worth it?

Go down 
+3
Raneth
Allidor
Scyrex Deledras
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Scyrex Deledras
Hellion

The Djinn Blade- worth it? Empty
PostSubject: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13 2012, 16:02

As the title above reads, do you consider the djinn blade to be a worthwhile weapon for an Archon?

I myself usually prefer the more ubiquitous agonizer for my own glorious leader-- the ability to wound anything on a 4+ is amazing, and half of the time combat drugs will simply make it better (I say half of the time because, lets face it, +1 WS and +1 S are usually wasted on an Archon with agonizer). But I've been looking through the codex recently and noticed that the djinn blade is still the same price as the agonizer. With it, the Archon has a potential 8 attacks on the charge (9 with the right combat drug result).

Of course, the major downsides are that the djinn blade leaves the Archon relying on a piddly strength of 3 (and thus leaving you reeeeally hoping for that magical 4 on the combat drug table), and there is the offchance that the djinn blade will hurt the Archon instead of the foe. Even so, would anyone ever take the djinn blade?
Back to top Go down
Allidor
Slave
Allidor

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13 2012, 16:36

I don't have my codex with me, and I've never actually used a Djinn Blade, but I'll say this: I prefer guarantees like the Agonizer and the Venom Blade over potential that partially depends on good combat drug rolls. Not to mention the weapon can backfire. That's just my playstyle though. It might be worth trying just to see how you like it.
Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13 2012, 17:35

The few times I indulged, I liked it, even without drugs - Furious Charge does just as well
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13 2012, 18:21

Its not a bad choice persay, but its definately not an optimal one. Its basically turning our Archon into a cheaper Lelith, but if you want that many attacks you might as well go with her or Malys imho.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13 2012, 19:18

Yeah, most of the Djinn Blade advantages would tend to steer me towards just taking Malys.

I don't think it's bad, it's just not really good enough to be a standout item. Most of the other weapons make it easier to wound or easier to instakill or something like that. All the Djinn Blade brings is extra attacks (and we're hardly suffering for that with just base stats) and it actually puts in a risk of hitting ourselves (and glass jaw is our big weakness)

So it helps something we don't have problems with and hinders us in a way we do have problems with. Eh, it's fun, it's not a *bad* choice. It's just not an easy choice to be excited by.
Back to top Go down
cegorach
Slave
cegorach

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19 2012, 21:43

Well, the only time i have considered it as an option for my HQ is when i am playing with grotesques.
archon with djinn blade, drugs, shadowfield, phantasm grenade launcher.

put a haemonculus with power weapon and liquifier, 4 grotesques (liquifier, aberation scissor hand if you go for vehicles as well), so you have furious charge allready, and bonus whatever the drugs will roll.
i also have a 3 man unit of wracks, so when i play firat, have them on foot together with the archon, so he steals their pain token for 3 in total in the grots unit, so they are fearless.
if you play second, consider having them in reserves.
i had good games with that list, but ofcourse is not the most competitive thing. i just sometimes get frastrated by dark light weapons and take the matter of destroying enemy vehicles in the grots's hands.

well, got in to much detail, but wanted to explain the built of the archon. apart from this specific role, i wouldn't choose the djinn blade over the agonizer, nor would i choose malys (since she misses the grenades, although she is nice to negate the ID on grots from force weapons)
Back to top Go down
Fatuous
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21 2012, 14:54

I'm taking one with a blaster as the only way to retain the extra attack for extra cc weapon. Think it should be fine up to t4 but may swop out for an ago...... will see how it plays out. No soul trap tho. 2 auto hits on ur self is bad enough but instant death as well is a bit too much of a risk Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Djinn Blade- worth it?   The Djinn Blade- worth it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Djinn Blade- worth it?
Page 1 of 1