THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)

Go down 
+6
GAR
Siticus the Ancient
Skari
The_Burning_Eye
Evil Space Elves
Durathumir
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Durathumir
Slave
Durathumir

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Empty
PostSubject: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2012, 14:32

I was recently lured back in to 40k after a four or five year break, and after re-learning the rules and amassing a couple of smaller armies of the lesser races, I decided to rescue my poor neglected Dark Eldar army from my parents attic and see what I could do about modernising it a bit.

Oh dear.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01

Old and busted.

Meet the new hotness. (Hopefully, this is all I will have to buy to complete the 1500 point army that I have planned!)

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-2

I have a lot of building and re-building in my near future.
And here's the first model of the new era! One of the obligatory Blasterborn.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-4

I want to give all of my Trueborn, Sybarites and perhaps even my Archon these Wood Elf hoods. (With greenstuff scarves in some cases) but we'll see if it still looks cool when it's painted before making any concrete plans.

The obligatory Blasterborn need the obligatory Venom. I've loved this vehicle ever since I saw it the old Citadel Journal experimental Harlequin army list (it's a shame Harlies can't use them in the current Dark Eldar codex) and I look forward to seeing if it explodes with anything like the same regularity it did back then!

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-3

An old broken Vyper, a pretty straight forward chop-job and a few spare old raider parts later and it's starting to look okay.
I just need to break out the green stuff to fill a few gaps around the cockpit and it'll be ready for some paint.
Speaking of which, it’s time to see about updating my old colour scheme a little and testing it on one of the new models.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-5

I’ll probably bring in more splashes of pink and a few hints of gold later on, and the blending between colours will be a lot smoother in the future, But I’m pretty happy with this as a starting point.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-6

Eee gads. What a difference a decade makes. I really don’t think I’ll be able to bring myself to use any of my old troops. Urgh.
My old vehicles, on the other hand... For those I had plans.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-7

Detailed plans.
I wanted de-clutter and re-style my huge pile (Six or seven) of old-style raiders and ravagers, both to bring them more in line with the new look and also to make transporting them a lot easier.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar01-8

Here’s the first test build. This is about as far as I can get until I restock on plasticard, but the basic look is getting there! The prow will be extended back and reshaped a bit, and a few hangers-on towards the back should liven it up nicely.

Assuming I can stick to the schedule I’ve set for myself with this army, I should have new stuff worth posting in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2012, 15:16

I like the new painted stuff, and who doesn't love a bag o' old busted? Looking forward to updates. Can't tell from the picture, but what is the glossy paint on the Venom?

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2012, 21:16

hmm, new model looks purrrdy. Scary isn't it looking back at old paint schemes/models when you realise how much you've improved in the meantime.

Looking forward to seeing more!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Durathumir
Slave
Durathumir

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10 2012, 18:29

Evil Space Elves wrote:
I like the new painted stuff, and who doesn't love a bag o' old busted? Looking forward to updates. Can't tell from the picture, but what is the glossy paint on the Venom?

It's an optical illusion from where the (Slightly blotchy) black undercoat has been sanded back on some raised areas.
I wish I could get black paint to go that glossy on my models. Even with several coast of gloss varnish, it never seems to go shiny and smooth enough.

Back to the project log, it's just a quick update today as most of my work on the army has been spent of building and basing the damn thing, and hoards of unpainted models are not really interesting enough to post. That said, I did manage to hit a couple of milestones worth mentioning.

My first painted squad! (okay, they're troops from two different squads, but I have enough finished to make a full squad so it still counts) and venom transport.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-2

And here's a close up of the converted Venom

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-5

I'm pleased with how well it matches the design of the official model, but I think the green paint needs breaking up a little around the cockpit. with some black stripes of some sort. I'll experiment a bit as I paint the next one before I paint over anything on this one though Razz

I also made a start on my command raider.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21

The texture is meant to be a maddening cross between dark eldar runes, circuit design and scarring.
I'm pretty pleased with the effect and, fortunately, the older style raiders have a lot less surface area so I shouldn't go too insane replicating it across my entire army.

Speaking of older raiders, I finally settled on a design that I plan to use for all of my old skool raiders/ravagers.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-3

The real eureka moment came when I decided to bite the bullet and carve out the tip of the prow to match the new design.
I decided against the plasticard tail-sail from my last post as it was a lot of work for very little aesthetic reward.
That's one down with four or five more to go! Neutral

Here's a top down view so you can see how much closer to the new design it is in size

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-4

And that's it for now! I'm just about to start work putting my Haemonculus conversion together and I might even start painting my Archon. So I shall see you guys in a couple of days!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10 2012, 18:50

The hull paint on the new Raider is looking quite boss. Nice work Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11 2012, 01:45

I really like what you are doing with the armour and hulls. Cheers!

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Durathumir
Slave
Durathumir

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15 2012, 02:45

Thanks for the kind words guys!

This will (hopefully) be the last post I make featuring any unpainted models, But I've made some progress worth noting with the army over the last few days. First, the bits I ordered to update my Ravagers arrived yesterday, so I pounced straight on that in a converting frenzy!

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-6

Heck, I've even started painting one! It's amazing how a few nips, tucks and extra bits have shifted my affections for these old models from zero to a solid ten. Can't wait to start working on the crew next.

Here's my (almost) fully constructed 1.5k flotilla.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-7

Just that one Venom left to finish building and then it's on to do all the painting in the world.

I also finished converting my old Haemonculus and her unit of Wracks.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Darkeldar21-8

The wracks were made using:
WFB Wood Elf Dryad parts for their bone racks,
For the limbs I used Warrior and Wych Arms/Torsos/Lower legs,
combined with with carefully trimmed WFB High Elf Archer legs for the robes.
And their masks are made from backwards Reaver Jetbiker Helmets.

These guys were so much fun to make. And I can't wait to get some paint on them!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15 2012, 03:14

Loving the hell out of the Haemi and Wrack conversions. Well done! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15 2012, 03:49

That freehand on the raider hull is absolutely stunning! I will be damned if I won't try to do something similar once my raiders get to painting. I also absolutely dig the wrack conversions! Been thinking for a long while how to best go about making them, and wyches seem to be the most efficient base for them. I'll definitely look into acquiring some high elf bits for conversion work.

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15 2012, 13:23

THOSE WRACKS ARE PIMP!

Oh my America that is a great idea! And I actually have those bitz laying around collecting dust! Conversion wracks here I come.

Most excellent work!

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
mukslinger
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15 2012, 13:29

At the risk of being repetitive, the wracks are deadly! The biker helm's are wicked. Like Siticus, I've been batting around ideas on how to tackle wrack conversions. Your wrack conversions are amoung the best I've seen, if not the best, I would love to see more of them.

Back to top Go down
Durathumir
Slave
Durathumir

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 12:29

Just a quick update today. I've been more than a little distracted by life (and Infinity miniatures Razz )
but I have get a little bit of painting and modelling done.

Two of my ravagers are almost finished.

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Dark_eldar_glamour-2

And I finally settled on a colour scheme for my Wracks

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) Dark_eldar_glamour-4

I'm hoping to get the rest of the wrack squad finished by the end of the week!
(And thanks for all the kind words about these guys!)
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 12:53

all of the above and my own omgwtf crazysexycool to add. love the colour(s) scheme. that warrior, damn man.

i didnt like the old stuff so much i didnt collect it, some of you guys(Durathumir included) are making it look great.

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 17:32

Wow, really impressed so far.

I love the way you have reimagined the Raiders and I second GAR's statement about the Wracks.

Colour scheme is really good too, keep it up Smile

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 19:13

Everything looks great here Durathumir, but I'm going to have to shamelessly loot what you did with the Reaver helmets on the Wracks. Very cool effect.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)   The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Kabal of the Autumn Shadow (Old and busted meets new hotness)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: