THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?

Go down 
+3
The_Burning_Eye
Evil Space Elves
ThePain
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ThePain
Slave
ThePain

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? Empty
PostSubject: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25 2012, 16:35

Hello there guys, just wondering whether any of you dark eldar painting sages knew of any good techniques for painting tribal designs on dark eldar vehicles? i searched but only came up with a dark elves link. it would be cool if there is some sort of tutorial on it somewhere or whether one of you guys have your own techniques you might liekt o share?

thanks

ThePain bounce
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25 2012, 16:59

I posted mine a while back:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t1538p40-an-evil-project-log
Hope it helps!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
ThePain
Slave
ThePain

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25 2012, 17:06

thanks! it's good to see the design being practiced on vehicles, luckily i have a micron pen too Smile
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25 2012, 17:16

I've also heard of people masking off the design on the hull and airbrushing them on, but this seems like a bit more work than I am interested in for smaller runes like I have done Twisted Evil I might try it on my Incubi and Archon's Raider where I plan to do much larger designs.

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25 2012, 23:49

I have some outlines of the vehicles i traced from pictures of the sprues, i plan the designs out on those then draw them onto the undercoat with a very fine propelling pencil. Then just fill them in and highlight them.

If you're struggling for designs, all mine come from tattoo pictures I found on the net that i've chopped around to get something i'm happy with.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 01:32

I like to do pencil sketches on black primed vehicles. The pencil erases easily so I can experiment with different designs. I found that sketching on paper was not so useful because of how curved the Raider's surfaces are.

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
lanezjones
Slave

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28 2012, 12:33

This one is really helpful. I hope it helped you.
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t1538p40-an-evil-project-log
Back to top Go down
http://www.miamitattoosupplies.com/
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28 2012, 14:36

I have done the masking thing and it looks alright. ESE is also right about it being a lot of work though, but for such large runes as I have done it's still 100 times faster than painting it on with a paintbrush. Here some pictures for reference: First done with a paintbrush all others done with an airbrush:

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? P1010294
tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? P1010300
tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? P1010301

Those are still WIP of course
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 04:53

^Those may be WIP, but they look AWESOME! Post some pics when you get some work in on them! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01 2012, 13:58

Howdy, because our areas are so large, masking off is a great way to do tribal patterns.

While I did not use an air brush for the patterns, I used a template to help me with the freehand and get the circles to look right.

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? DSC02136800x599

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? DSC02142800x589

anyhoo, there area number of ways to do it.

I would say if it what you are looking for is large irregular patterns, then masking and airbrush work would be the best course forward.

If you want more symmetrical patterns like mine, then a template or two is a great way to do it so you can line things up, then trace the pattern with a pencil and follow it with a brush.

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?   tips on painting vehicle tribal designs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tips on painting vehicle tribal designs?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: