THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar

Go down 
+24
szeszej
Ikol
Meatwagon
Vasara
Skizzik_NZ
sebbunny
Zenotaph
JDrakeW
Thor665
Squidmaster
Skuggestorm
xxoblivionxx33
Elzadar
ketamine
Archon Rayd
thelordcal
Crowbar
Zanais
Fruz
Siticus the Ancient
funkyfibes
alexwellace
Shadows Revenge
Sky Serpent
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26 2014, 13:50

I'd suggest you go fire up a post in the army list section, you'll probably get more discussion about your list there than here.

Back to top Go down
JDrakeW
Slave
JDrakeW

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2014, 17:38

Hey I'm new to Dark eldar used to play Tau, with Dark eldar its keep things moving and in cover when possible and make each unit good at either killing infantry or Armour?

Thanks
JDW
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2014, 17:49

edit: forget it. ...

Slave
sebbunny

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 12:08

i have started my army but I've ran into a problem...... i don't have enough haywire blasters for my scourges and i need 3 more are there any conversions i can do to make some from the bits i have laying around from other dark eldar boxes?

edit
well now i feel silly if i had spent 2 more minuets looking at the forms i would have found my answer I'm sorry. please disregard this post.

Skizzik_NZ
Slave
Skizzik_NZ

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07 2015, 09:00

As a possibly returning Deldar player, what is the current codex like compared to the 5th one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pwnem.com
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07 2015, 09:18

I find it very good (and Covens book too) but some people don't like it. New power from pain is excelent and combined with covens version it gives DE army some good options. Mechanised lists are still very painfull to play against.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Skizzik_NZ
Slave
Skizzik_NZ

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07 2015, 09:47

How do it stack up to the rest of the books?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pwnem.com
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07 2015, 09:54

Mid tier app.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Meatwagon
Slave
Meatwagon

PostSubject: Advice on starting in 8th ed   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23 2017, 17:45

So, I am going to be starting DE and am looking for advice for a good foundation/purchases. Will be picking up the Start Collecting box then where to go from there? I have no experience with the DE only Space Marines, so any input is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23 2017, 18:59

Hey, friend.

So, in 8th ed Dark Eldar there are a small number of mainstay units and a large number of units that simply aren't worth their points.

Some popular suggestions for listbuilding include:

Trying to keep a ratio of 1 Dark Lance per 100 points, or more if you're capable.

If you're bringing a HQ, it should probably be a Warlock or Farseer casting Doom, Smite or other offensive powers (yes, these are Craftworlders.  Unless you're Coven heavy and taking a Haemonculus our HQ's just fall flat.)

Ravagers and Scourges are popular (though don't make the mistake of loading out the Scourges with Heat Lances, Splinter Cannons or Haywire Blasters).

Beasts are some of our best meatshields to defend against deep strikes and assaults (bubbling, if you're familiar with the term).

Kabalite Warriors with Blasters/ Darklances in Venoms and Raiders are a staple.

The PGL is almost always worth its points if you have a few left over at the end of a list.

Razorwing Jetfighters are amazing.

The debate between Disintegrator Cannons and Dark Lances is long and enjoyable, Dissies are better for Infantry, TEQ and other BEQ.  DLances are our best anti-tank and anti-monster.

Don't take Splinter Cannons as an upgrade, the fifteen points will be better spent elsewhere.

And always remember to charge the shooty units with your vehicles.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
Meatwagon
Slave
Meatwagon

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 24 2017, 14:34

Thank you for the information, this is a tremendous help. My gaming group is running a campaign this coming summer involving only Xenos and I have always had an interest in the DE (Drukarhi), so this is a perfect excuse for me to start an army.
Back to top Go down
szeszej
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 25 2017, 16:43

Hmm, the previous post was quite helpful I must say, but didn't answer the critical question - I have the Start Collecting box, what should I focus on buying next? Should I get some more Warriors and Venoms/Raiders? A Ravager? Some Fighters? Smile
Back to top Go down
merse24
Kabalite Warrior
merse24

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 25 2017, 17:24

I wouldn't invest too heavily until the codex comes out. Until then, I would focus on stuff that will be useful regardless. For example, warriors, raiders, venoms, ravagers. Can't go wrong with any of those. They have always been the staple of our armies and I can only assume that they will still be viable after the codex.
Back to top Go down
Meatwagon
Slave
Meatwagon

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 25 2017, 21:56

Good point merse24. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
NiallJC1984
Slave
NiallJC1984

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28 2018, 22:40

Hi all, I'm a newcomer to the Drukhari.

I'm just wondering how much of this thread is still relevant following release of the codex? Is there a new beginner's guide somewhere on the forum for 8th, post codex?

I suppose I should state what my goals are for this army? I'm coming from a competitive Age of Sigmar scene, looking for a casual entry to 40k. I don't really plan to attend 40k Tournaments, I have AoS for my competitive buzz. 40k is going to be more of a 'paint what I like' sort of affair, but I still want to build a Drukhari army correctly for matched play in store with mates.

So I suppose my main question is; where do I start? Are the SC sets a valid option?
I already own one of the older DE Start Collecting Sets (the Kabal Warrior one) and can easy grab a Wych one too.

Hoping to get some models assembled and onto the table soon, even if only using Power Level it'll be a good starting point.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30 2018, 02:15

Much of it is out of date as of the Codex. I don't believe there is an updated beginner's guide, and there are a lot more ways to make a viable list these days, so it isn't as easy to say start here as it once was.

The first key difference is there are now basically three separate subfactions of Drukhari (Kabal, Coven, and Cult) and in order to benefit from Obsessions you can't combine them in a single detachment. Kabal are good at shooting and mobility, Coven are very resilient and strong in melee, and Cult are fragile but do good damage in melee.

Recommended Detachments:

Black Heart Spearhead (Archon with Writ of the Living Muse + 3 Ravagers)
Flayed Skull Battalion (2 Archons and multiple Kabalite units in Raiders / Venoms)
Prophets of Flesh Battalion / Spearhead / Vanguard (Vexator Haemonculus, Urien Rakarth, Talos, Grotesques and Wracks in most combinations)

All three of the Cult Obsessions are viable, but not as potent as the Kabal and Coven options above. Strife does the most damage in most cases, Cursed Blade is similar damage and best for morale if deep striking large Wych units, and Red Grief for first turn tie ups with Reavers.

What's good or otherwise could change a bit with Chapter Approved in a couple of weeks (likely points adjustments).

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30 2018, 06:51

I've un-stickied this thread as it is hopelessly out of date. If anyone fancies taking a stab at an update version please feel free - Count Adhemar

NiallJC1984
Slave
NiallJC1984

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30 2018, 07:28

Thanks for the tips Smile

In just listening the Splintermind Codex review (on part 2). It’s really helpful for new players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2