THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings

Go down 
+6
Chaeril
Gobsmakked
Cavash
The_Burning_Eye
Evil Space Elves
wilku
10 posters
AuthorMessage
wilku
Archon's Challenge HQ Winner

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings Empty
PostSubject: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23 2012, 20:26

Hey,

So it's time to put up my army project log and hopefully have some clues on my paintjob as I've already forgotten which colours I had used here and there Wink

So the first thing comming is the repaint of the Lhamaean (yes, although I was lucky to win Archon's Challenge HQ stage I found out that she need some more work):
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7427241410_eb8934f6e7
I'm working on shoulderpads (LGS currently), shading and weapon blades - what do you think about her left-hand blade (with toxin's dripping)? Does it look like an acceptable NMM?

Now the second thing: Wyches
I'm expermienting a lot with my colour scheme - firs, I wanted them to be mainly white. Then I decided it would be better to fall into blueish grays, and then I added some red. Now I can't actually decide which variant is better, and can't figure out how to paint the bases so that they compliment, yet don't overhelm the model, so I gave it a try on one:

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7427239392_736da3cf64

the following have less red and more grey (this time true grey on armor, not blue-gray like clothing), like this one
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7427241064_0bc124802e

the whole photo set (will be updated now more or less regularly)

any/all constructive criticism is highly appreciated (concerning the color scheme as well as painting techniques)

Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23 2012, 20:48

Love the additional purple on the middle Wyche. Looking forward to more Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23 2012, 23:09

the bottom one looks a little pale, even for DE, but i think it's the white hair, were you planning on colouring that?
I really like the middle photo colour scheme though, the bright red shoulder and knee pads are really striking, and i think because of the faint blue in the clothing and the fact that it's not directly adjacent to the red, the purple really goes well with the whole scheme (I would usually avoid red and purple next to each other, but the bit of separation you've got means it really works).
TBE

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
wilku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24 2012, 17:43

I'll stick to the purple then.

The skin is pale as it was not finished yet - I just can't figure out how I painted the other one...

And I can't decide on how to paint the weapons - nothing seems to fit the scheme I've chosen :/

Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24 2012, 18:08

Great job on the paint work.

I think the weapons would look cool if you painted them to resemble polished obsidian. I don't know if theat would look good for the Splinter Pistols, but for the bladey weapons it would be cool.

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24 2012, 19:13

Yeah, I though about dark black blades, but maybe adding some dark blue and / or purble will do the trick.
Any ideas on pistols though?

Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24 2012, 21:22

I think that something along the lines of the old Tin Bitz colour would be good. I don't know if there is even a current equivalent to it, but it could be mixed, possibly. I think it would have to be washed heavily, to contrast with the bright white, though.
Dark black/blue will work well for the blades, although using a dab of red would help tie the knives in with the rest of the model, so I think red would be better.

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27 2012, 18:48

ok, silly me - I often stop at about 70% of completing one unit and start something else...
so here it goes:

Wych capoeiristas (WIP):
Flickr album

sorry for B&W - my gf took some photos before me and I didn't change the settings
what do you thin?

Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28 2012, 02:01

The re-posed wyches look really good, certainly different from others I have seen, but nicely executed as well.

I love the frosted look of your minis and limited colours, it's a great scheme. The middle wyche above looks terrific.

The NMM on the Lhamaean's blade is absolutely fine, I wouldn't change it at all. I might add a bit more poison dripping from it, so it's a little more visible, but perhaps I have too much on my own. It does look OK proportionally.

For your pistols, what about a gunmetal blue? Reaper makes one that I use on my vehicles and body armour and like, it might fit with your scheme. I also continued the flouro green of my dripping poison into the grooves along the sides of the barrels, just a suggestion.

One final thing for you - I saw the following about 3 years ago, it's an Ork Nob painted by Paul Valenx just using two different colours. It's not unlike the look and feel I get from your models, and it demonstrates wonderfully what can be achieved even with the most limited palette.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/233333

Looking forward to seeing more of your work Greg. Cheers.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 12:04

It's been some time since i updated my project log - I haven't done much in terms of my army - I've focused on upgrading my workshop, buying tools etc.
However I've managed to airbrush some vehicles, and experiment a bit with colour shading on them (got a really crashed venom for that).

enough talking - pictures:

Crashed Venom
(notice different shading on the sides - I was searching for the blend that I'd like the most)
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7655576082_db8af65289

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7655576614_f7af93ddb2

Not crashed Venom Wink
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7655576208_c9bbcb5644

Raider:
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7655576484_52f8b521d0
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7655576344_80a37ab31b

Oh, and I've starded working on a tabletop Commorragh terrain. I'll make another log for that, because it's a totally different story

Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 12:40

I really like the shading on the right side of the crashed Venom. (Second from the top) Good stuff Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 13:12

Such a clean blend! Fascinating!

Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28 2012, 22:02

Chaeril wrote:
Such a clean blend! Fascinating!
Thanks.
It's done with an airbrush (raidr & venom) and many highly dilluted paint layers - water + gliceryne as a dillutant (crashed venom)

Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04 2012, 15:33

so icy cold. wikid sick ghost bear style. Cool

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
kizzdougs
Hellion
kizzdougs

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14 2012, 11:25

Awesome colour scheme! The light grey is really great, especially when contrasted with the purple hair.

Warriors of Chaos 'distractions' thread
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14 2012, 13:22

ah yes, thanks for reminding me - I have to get back to painting again... so much work, so little time :/

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31 2012, 18:01

It's been a while since I posted any update on my works, so it's time to add some more pictures.
I've left the Commorragh buildings for now, as I need some inspiration to finish what I started, but it allowed me to pay more attention to my unfinished models - Wyches precisely.
I've assembled and basecoated a few, but that's not interesting right now.
What's cool (I hope) is the fact that I've managed to do some kit-bashing and repositioning of Wych parts to get a more close combat / capoeira dance-fight style. They are already basecoated for zenithal lighting so don't worry about the "snow effect" - they'll get their colours to match the first squad.

So, tell me what you think about these pictures:
First, a duel:
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901138548_dea74372d7
I'm not happy with it. It sucks actually. But it took me a lot of time, so it stays this way.

And now two much better duels (IMO):
Hydra gauntlet armed Wych vs. SP+CC:
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901138136_0c9b718481
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901137800_cf7a17179e

and Hekatrix with powersword vs SP+CC:
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901139434_2ab756a4c1
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901139006_a0eeee3347

I am really happy with those two:
WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901137348_0d61bde6d1

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings 7901139694_fb4c98c743

Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31 2012, 18:04

I agree: they get better as you go on. Cool idea!
Back to top Go down
Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31 2012, 18:21

I love the guantlet model! Well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings   WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WIP = wilku's incomplete paintings
Page 1 of 1