THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
depayen
Hellion
depayen

Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? Empty
PostSubject: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 16:18

Sorry if this has been covered already. I am thinking about trying them just want to use them correctly. If some one could explain this and what to watch out for would be a big help.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 16:33

The wording is pretty specific;

"...A model with Enhanced Aethersails can move an extra 2d6 inches. Though passengers may not disembark that turn, and the vehicle and passengers may not shoot in the following Shooting phase."

Not turbo boost or flat out, as these are specific actions taken in the shooting phase in 6th edition, but extra movement. An important difference to be sure, as in 5th any movement over 12" counted as flatout. Basically, Aethersails let you move faster in the movement phase at the cost of shooting/disembarking and a +1 flatout bonus to your cover save for the benefit of not being wrecked if you are immobilised in the following turn.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 17:50

I hope they get FAQ-ed to allow you to snapfire after using them.

Looks like they need an FAQ now anyway (if they don't have it already). So far as I can see there's nothing in the RAW saying when you can use them - and now movement doesn't happen only in the movement phase, I could see someone wanting to use their extra movement in one shooting phase (perhaps after shooting), saying he'll miss the chance to shoot in his FOLLOWING shooting phase...
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 18:13

Ben_S wrote:
...So far as I can see there's nothing in the RAW saying when you can use them - and now movement doesn't happen only in the movement phase, I could see someone wanting to use their extra movement in one shooting phase (perhaps after shooting), saying he'll miss the chance to shoot in his FOLLOWING shooting phase...

Perhaps I read it differently, but they allow 2d6" of extra movement; not turboboosting or flat-outing which granted are movement types but very specific ones, and have rules for different units that can use them.

Trying to wrap my head around it,(not enough caffeine yet Smile ) but if you used your aethersails in the movement phase, and then flatout in the following shooting phase you net the same movement as you suggest Ben_S, with the added advantage of being able to shoot in the following shooting phase. The way you describe it you are cheating yourself of a shooting phase I think.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 18:34

For the record, I'm not saying that this is the RAI or that it's advisable - if someone tried this trick on me in a friendly game then I doubt I'd be playing them again, but just to get clear the possibility I'm suggesting (which seems to be permitted by RAW*)...

It's like this:
Turn 3 movement.
Turn 3 shooting - shoot as normal
Now use the aethersails (in turn 3 shooting phase)
Now you have to miss turn 4's shooting

Darkgreen Pirate wrote:
if you used your aethersails in the movement phase, and then flatout in the following shooting phase you net the same movement as you suggest Ben_S, with the added advantage of being able to shoot in the following shooting phase. The way you describe it you are cheating yourself of a shooting phase I think.

But that way you lose the ability to shoot in *this* shooting phase (because you flat out instead). Either way, using the aethersails is going to involve losing a turn's shooting, but the point of the trick I was describing was to make it the next turn's shooting phase (rather than this).

That can be advantageous in many ways, particularly if you're currently in the last turn, but also if you happen to have a particularly juicy target right now. Also any passengers could disembark in turn 4 and you could argue that they can then shoot normally since they're no longer passengers.

*Footnote to say it might not be if you're right (Darkgreen Pirate) that movement - as opposed to things like consolidation or turboboosting - can only happen in the movement phase. But then movement is being used here as a technical term, so it would have been better had it been capitalised or something: +2d6 Movement (i.e. when moving in the movement phase). The way aethersails is currently worded in the Codex doesn't make this clear, presumably in part because it was a 5th edn. Codex.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 18:55

I see what your saying, and I agree in a friendly that tactic would be a little cheddar-like. I think though you can chose to flat out OR shoot, and Aethersails say "extra" movement, which to my mind would mean you have to be moving first so, no shooting then Aethersails. As a late game tactic I can see the advantage as you explain it, especially as a late game contesting unit. Perhaps you can use it in either phase, but if it requires movement first then the advantage of usage in the shooting phase is somewhat negated.

I agree it does need a little clarification though, and a discussion with your opponent beforehand is always adviseable.
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 02:33

move the barge 6", disembark the unite, move them a bit, then EAS the barge between them and the enemy. Lets see wyches, 5up cover, 5uf fnp from haem...way better than only a 5up cover...vs bolters Smile And if the barge is shot down, it provides TLOS blocking, and since its is faster to strip hull points off, than to explode, most of the time, you dont even have to be afraid of the blast Smile

well...atleast thats how i use them, or if the opponent has something cheesy in the back and all his counterassault unites are tied down, AND i have a free wych squad...mmmm, munchies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 16:41

Enfernux wrote:
....move the barge 6", disembark the unite, move them a bit, then EAS the barge between them and the enemy.....

I dont think this can work, as the Rule as Written is "A model with Enhanced Aethersails can move an extra 2d6 inches. Though passengers may not disembark that turn, and the vehicle and passengers may not shoot in the following Shooting phase." So moving the barge, disembarking, then aethersailing would be against the rules.

Additionallly, as far as I know, you must complete a models moves before you move another within the same phase. So you could not move raider / disembark troops and move them / move raider. Unless you are suggesting that you move the barge in the shooting phase with just Aethersail movement, and not flatout movement?
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09 2012, 01:39

gosh, i overlooked that part about disembarking, and come to think of it, i just borrowed an english dex, and in the form it is written, ive been using it totally wrong. Translation rulz! -.- Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
depayen
Hellion
depayen

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09 2012, 18:03

Sorry I have been out of town but thank you for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?   Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aethersails how do they work and is there advantages?
Page 1 of 1