THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?

Go down 
+4
Igradar
Nomic
1++
Evil Space Elves
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? Empty
PostSubject: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01 2012, 05:45

I'm finishing up the last of my Wyche cult models for the Dark Olympiad Apoc formation and have only the beast unit to go. I was trying to figure out the load out that I should use for the squad and thought I would ask for the advice of other archons as to what has worked for them in 6th. I'm considering using 2 beastmasters, 5 Khymera, and 2 razorwing flocks. Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced,
ESE
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01 2012, 07:10

I've had good success with the "net load out" of 3 BM's, 5 K, 4 RWF - run the with the Baron up front and he can LoS the wounds onto various units - Low AP on himself or onto a Khymera, or for < Str6 LoS onto the Flocks.

The're movement is great, esp if you have a tonne of other stuff zooming forwards too. Move 12", Run (with reroll) then Move 12" then hopefully be within charge range.

I've theorised other builds, like 5 BM's, 5 CF (and Baron) so you get majority T5, excluding the Baron you have 25 T5 wounds, and at the very least 25 Str 5 attacks, thats about the same as a unit of 8 Grotesques, for slighty cheaper and can move twice as fast....

Last edited by 1++ on Sat Sep 01 2012, 08:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01 2012, 07:51

4 BMs, 10 Khymerae and 4 Razorwings is good if you have the points. Lots of 4++ saves to soak up hits, and both Razorwings and Khymerae can hit very hard. 5 Khymerae is good as well if you want to save the points (or use the actual models which are really expensive. I just got some Chaos Hounds and painted their fur like Mandrake flames).
Back to top Go down
Igradar
Slave
Igradar

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2012, 14:50

No-one seems to have mentioned that as of now, Baron gives Beasts Hit-and-Run. So every time I would consider taking Beasts, Baron would be a given - this gives Beasts so much more freedom of movement - all the while you can pepper the enemy unit to death with the rest of your force after escaping cc to run amok elsewhere.
Yes please
Back to top Go down
http://swordofvaul.blogspot.com
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2012, 15:11

so far, 1 archon 1 haem, a klaivex and 7 incubi did the best munchin' for me, but i am currently revising my lists, and am uncertain what the good stuff will be after that - will need a few games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2012, 15:38

Evil Space Elves wrote:
I would ask for the advice of other archons as to what has worked for them in 6th. I'm considering using 2 beastmasters, 5 Khymera, and 2 razorwing flocks. Thoughts?
I think that's an okay build - very minimal but probably workable.

I personally use 3 Masters, 5 Dogs, 4 Flocks as my default build - it's not that many extra points and really gives a lot of extra impact.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2012, 16:13

Thor665 wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:
I would ask for the advice of other archons as to what has worked for them in 6th. I'm considering using 2 beastmasters, 5 Khymera, and 2 razorwing flocks. Thoughts?

I personally use 3 Masters, 5 Dogs, 4 Flocks as my default build - it's not that many extra points and really gives a lot of extra impact.

I was leaning towards a similar unit down the road. My original build was designed to minimize the impact on my wallet Razz Beasts truly look to be more effective in large units.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2012, 19:18

Evil Space Elves wrote:
Thor665 wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:

I was leaning towards a similar unit down the road. My original build was designed to minimize the impact on my wallet Razz Beasts truly look to be more effective in large units.

Beastmasters can obviously be converted from hellions, I wasn't over fond of the skin dog look, so I've used plastic Chaos hounds with a small amount of conversion. Then you really only have to foot the bill for the birds.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04 2012, 02:05

Yeah no decent substitutions for the birds, but everything else can be converted quite effectively

ADDITION:

In my next 1999 game I'll be running these:

Baron
5 Beastmasters, 5 Clawed Fiends
5 Beastmasters 5 Khymera, 8 Razorwing Flocks

Baron starts with the CF unit, 2nd Beast unit runs close behind (shielded)

As the lead unit starts as 6 T3 models and 5 T5 models, a Beastmaster has to head the charge (arrowhead type formation), with the Baron in position 2. Beastmaster takes the first shot and dies, the unit is then a majority T5, and the Baron begins to Look Out Sir wounds accross the rest of the unit.
A single CF model has 4 Wounds, and when it losses a wounds it gains an attack. Therefore, 5 models, losing 3 wounds each = total 15 wounds = 15 more T5 attacks. 4 Beastmasters left = 4 more T5 wounds to soakup if need be, but the point is to get the CF's up to max attacks, and if there are anymore wounds to save, the Baron can Shadowfield them.

Assuming this goes to plan, we then charge in with 40 Str5 + Baron's 6 Str6 attacks, preferably hitting and wiping out tanks...
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06 2012, 07:30

In 5th i ran the net approved 3BM 5K 4RF unit almost every game. The baron is great but not mandatory.

In 6th im finding the dogs to be more effective than the birds.

Ive run 3BM 8K 2RF in 5 games of 6th now and im not looking back.

Only 6 pts more than the net unit.

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06 2012, 08:18

Painjunky wrote:
In 5th i ran the net approved 3BM 5K 4RF unit almost every game. The baron is great but not mandatory.

What enemy units are you throwing them into? Non elite MEQ units?
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06 2012, 08:55

1++ wrote:
Painjunky wrote:

What enemy units are you throwing them into? Non elite MEQ units?

Yes i avoid and shoot any elite MEQ units but tanks are what they're usually hunting.

Im taking more dogs now because since wound allocation changed, if they don't run with the baron for LOS!, they need more dogs running out the front to survive ive found. Once in combat the dogs are great too.

Also with 13 models they need 4 instead of 3 casualties before they test morale, not much i know but every little bit helps/ Very Happy

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06 2012, 09:02

Yeah those extra models do help, bigger foot print tho...I find the Baron has been great at controlling LoS wounds. And with the changes to the Assault phase, I can charge my Clawed Fiends into 2 transports, wreck them, then charge my 2nd Beast unit into the cotents.....

Last edited by 1++ on Thu Sep 06 2012, 11:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06 2012, 09:35

The baron is the man for LOS! i agree totally im just having a little bromance with my archon leading a cc unit of some description at the moment....

A large footprint can be used to your advantage with the beasts.

I honestly have only run Fiends once a long time ago, I'll definitely try them in 6th soon.

2 beast units!!! A couple of guys at my local club have told me they will refuse to play me if a take 2 BM units! They think they are OP because they have to choose between killing them, which is very hard or ignoring them and their tanks getting multi charged turn 2... and on some forums people say DE are not a competitive army.

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06 2012, 11:09

Aww man I love that - are they the same ppl that field TH/SS Termies LOL.

Yes well I am experimenting with the 2 Beast units ATM. They really do soak up a tonne of wounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?   Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beast unit builds in 6th: what has worked for you?
Page 1 of 1