THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hello, Commorragh.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

Hello, Commorragh.  Empty
PostSubject: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 06:00

Well, I've already made my first post but I thought I should put one here because I am new.

My name is Scott. I've been into the Hobby for the last 9 years of my life, starting out at age 11, which makes me 20. I am a college student at the University of Minnesota attempting to earn a Bachelors degree in Computer Engineering. I currently work at the Geek Squad as an Advanced Repair Agent (the eggheads who sit in back and fix computers) and I am engaged to be wed in July 20, 2013 to my lovely fiancé.

Ok, now that boring stuff is out of the way, let's get onto the good stuff. I started out in the Hobby playing Lord of the Rings with an Elven Army. I grew out of the whole LOTR scheme, and moved onto bigger and better stuff at my local GW store, namely a Middeheim Empire army, which I still own, fully painted and based with Ar'Ulric, Seneschals, Teutogens; the whole nine yards. After that the timeline becomes a little blurred. Sometime, during 4th Ed. WH40K, I dabbled in both Necrons and Orks at the same time. My Ork army, is fully painted (except for a few grots), however, my Necron army is far from it, but all the models I have for my Necron army are still used in the current range. The stint with WH40K was short lived, and was followed up with a Vampire Counts Army, strictly Strigoi (I like being hip and different). That army got to about 95% completion until my one true love revealed itself to me. Up until this point (~4 years) I was struggling to find my identity in the hobby, what archetype really stuck with me, and I finally found it: Wood Elves.

When the Wood Elves were redone, sometime shortly after the release of 7th Edition, I immediately began playing them. I loved the models, but more importantly the play-style was something so interestingly unique but hard to grasp (a concept that I love). After getting bitterly destroyed by all the WHF veterans at my GW, my GW closed down because they did not want to renew their lease in the mall where they were placed. So, I began a hiatus for about 1.5 years. All of a sudden, a GW opened in my home-town, not 15 minutes away from me. So, I got my gear together, went down, met someone who was interested in playing a WHF game with his WoC Khorne army (and was talking it up SO much), and I played him. What happened in the proceeding 2.5 hours will not be retold, but it ended in him never showing his face at that GW again, and me getting back into the WE with all the motivation and school girl like glee I needed to get back into the hobby. Huzzah!

By this time, I was fairly good at painting (I was always more interested in that then I was playing, although I do LOVE playing). I was picking up more WE models and continuing to paint them, and my buddy got into WH40K that I'd known for a long time, and he started playing Blood Angels. He signed me up for a commission paint job of his entire army, which over the course of several months grew to 150+ models w/4 vehicles and 5 or more independent characters. Needless to say, I started to become interested in WH40K and wanted to find an army that fit that WE archetype, and I did: Dark Eldar.

That puts us where we are today. I am still currently painting this massive BA army; I have a full DE army in boxes sitting and staring at me. I have thought up a kabal history, paint scheme, kabal motifs, and conversion ideas. It's just waiting for a name, symbol, and some time to paint it. Once I do get time, I'll hopefully update that for you guys, but for now, I'll leave you with some BA models so you get an idea of how I paint!

Hello, Commorragh.  ScoutSquad
Hello, Commorragh.  Scoutyell
Hello, Commorragh.  TacMarineSquad
Hello, Commorragh.  SternguardSquad
Hello, Commorragh.  Rhinoback
Hello, Commorragh.  Full-1
Hello, Commorragh.  Dread2
Hello, Commorragh.  Closeup
Hello, Commorragh.  374790_10150526031148064_745683063_10696896_1138614511_n

Last edited by Shbur on Mon Sep 17 2012, 12:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 08:18

Damn it Vect! What has everyone told you about crashing space marine strike cruisers into Commogorragh!

Great paint jobs, you will love the hobby section here there are some fantastic painters. Same goes for the fluff section there are some very talented writers (both section are very active too!).

WE are the closest thing in fantasy to DE (well apart from the Skaven Eshin army from storm of chaos). So you should take to DE quickly (and be able to put up with how harsh a teacher the army can be when things go wrong).

Looking forward to your contributions. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell

Last edited by Mushkilla on Mon Sep 17 2012, 12:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Searing Wind
Slave
The Searing Wind

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 11:43

Nice painting. I wish I could get my lenses to look the sharp. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 16:06

Mushkilla wrote:
Damn it Vect! What has everyone told you about crashing space marine strike cruisers into Commogorragh!

Great paint jobs, you will love the hobby section here there are some fantastic painters. Same goes for the fluff section there are some very talented writers (both section are very active too!).

WE are the closest thing in fantasy to DE (well apart from the Skaven Eshin army from storm of chaos). So you should take to DE quickly (and be able to put up with how harsh a teacher the army can be when things go wrong).

Looking forward to your contributions. Smile

Well, when you have to kill three scheming Archons, nothing is too extreme! Yes, I do love the Painting and Modeling section. I have been observing Sky Serpent's and EvilSpaceElves' armies develop for quite some time. I haven't checked out the fluff section yet, but I definitely will to make sure I abide by the Kabal creation guide lines. The fact that you say WE are similar to DE makes me so very happy! Maybe the learning curve won't be as harsh to me. I hope my contributions will be worthy of the dark city!

Quote :
Nice painting. I wish I could get my lenses to look the sharp.

I am totally sure you can. Long bristled brush, evenly watered paint, and a nice secure grip on the model. Often times the grip is called the triangle of power. Two elbows on the desk and your palms come together and somewhere in your hands is your model. You can do it!
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 16:26

Shbur wrote:
l. Often times the grip is called the triangle of power. Two elbows on the desk and your palms come together and somewhere in your hands is your model. You can do it!

Painting became a lot easier the day someone pointed that out to me. It really makes a big difference. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
The Searing Wind
Slave
The Searing Wind

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 21:44

Yup, no more shaky hands. I've found that eyes are easier to paint upside down as well. It apparently breaks your minds facial recognition software so you're not looking at it as a face, just as a detail. Which strangely makes it easier to do without over correcting yourself.

I tend to use a 5/0 kolinsky red sable brush for really fine detail. Not exactly long bristled though. Think I should give it a try with something a little longer? Wait, that sounded less dirty in my head!! >.<
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 22:11

Welcome aboard! I took offense when I first read that Wood Elves are the WHFB version of Dark Eldar until I thought about it...and...they are Razz I've always hated playing against WE armies. Perhaps I play Dark Eldar to inflict painful revenge? Twisted Evil

Looking forward to your stuff and enjoy your stay!

ESE

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Commorragh.    Hello, Commorragh.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello, Commorragh.
Page 1 of 1