THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Popular Topic & New Posts

Go down 
+3
Kinnay
Baron Tordeck
Mushkilla
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Popular Topic & New Posts Empty
PostSubject: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 10:41

Both these icons are a glowing white and look way to similar, making it hard to distinguish new topic from popular topics. Gould glowing white be restricted to anything that has a new post (including horror amps and grisly trophies). Do we even need a popular topic icon? It sounds like a legacy from when the site was a lot smaller.

Hope that helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 16:13

I agree with Mush on this. I was confused in fact at first by them both glowing.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 18:07

I agree in that I don't think we need the "popular topic" icons. Never understood them. Isn't the popularity visible in the post count?
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 18:24

isnt popular topics purple??? atleast that is what I see

Popular topics- glow purple
already read threads- greyed out

P.S. I love the locked thread symbol, a nice touch guys
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 19:27

New Topics - White

Popular Topics - White Xtra Glowing

Popular Topics with New posts - Purple Glow

The idea here is that the popular topics with new content is what we would want to draw people to. The purple icon does that IMHO.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
http://eyeoferror.blogspot.com/
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 19:46

LuckyNo.5 wrote:

The idea here is that the popular topics with new content is what we would want to draw people to. The purple icon does that IMHO.

I already mentioned this in chat with you, but I'll put it here for completeness.

Because the site is all very monochrome I find the attention gets drawn to white icons faster then anything else. Several times I have completely missed the purple ones, or clicked on a "popular thread" icon thinking it was new. I think it's a lot easier for users to associate white = new.

What I would suggest is, purple be used for the "popular topics" and when they get a new post they go white (so the inverse of now). That way users will be drawn to new posts first (white standing out the most), then popular topics without new posts (purple standing out next) and finally regular topics.

That is if the whole "popular topic" concept is to be kept in the first place.

Hope that helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 19:54

I like the glowing popular thread icons. I think that maybe a toned down red could be used for popular thread, or something else, but I really wouldn't like to see them go. (If they go I may have to protest by eating TDC a forum at a time Razz)

It makes navigation so much easier.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 20:14

I reached out to Sky, waiting on a reply. Smile
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 20:16

Mush's suggestion of inverting the way it is now sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 00:31

I've always felt there hasn't been a need for popular topics, that's why when we started updating images with Local Ork, we didn't use them at all and this time round put a nod towards them with a gentle glow.

I just don't see the need for them and would rather have just read topics and new/unread topics.

But that is just me, if you guys feel differently then go ahead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 02:41

Many regulars asked for it so I say we try it out and if it's clashing or too much we can always change it back Smile
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 08:24

Sky Serpent wrote:
I've always felt there hasn't been a need for popular topics

I personally agree with this, I think it makes too much clutter, with all the other types of icons. That being said the new purple to green look seems to look good if they are to be kept. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 20:17

But having the popular topic signs makes it so much easier to find what you are looking for. If you know that it is a popular topic you can just fly straight to it instead of reading every title.

Like in the stories section, when I need to check on Trueborn or Piercing Dark I don't look at the names first, I look at the popular thread sign and navigate from there.

It is just my preference, though.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 23:08

True.

I have to say, since the changes to purple (popular) and green (popular new post) I have had no problems. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 09:37

Upon reflection, it works, no issue with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Popular Topic & New Posts   Popular Topic & New Posts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Popular Topic & New Posts
Page 1 of 1