THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Empty
PostSubject: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 02:59

Hello

Shrike here with battle report two. Pictures have been linked. I have no idea if I have linked them in correctly, so anyone who knows how do it correctly, please tell me whether I did it wrong. That would be most appreciated. (No need. Mush fixtured them Smile )

My list was the exact same as the battle versus the Grey Knight/Tau alliance, with the exception that I added another talos. Yeah, I was about a full hundred points short last time. Sad

So here it is.

Cult of The Howling Abyss

2000pts double force org.

HQ
Lelith Hesperax
Haemonculous with liquifier
Haemonculous with liquifier

Elite
True born with 4 blasters in a venom with dual cannons
True born with 4 blasters in a venom with dual cannons

Troops
9 wyches with a heka with a venom blade and haywire
Raider with dissie, FF
Raider with dissie, FF
Raider with dissie, FF
5 warriors with blaster
Venom with dual cannons

Fast attack
4 reavers with a heatlance
4 reavers with a heatlance

Heavy support
Lance Ravager with NS
Lance Ravager with NS
Talos with TL liquifier
Talos with TL liquifier

My opponents list went something like this

Chaos of the Red Death

HQ
Lord with Murder Sword MoK
Sorceror lord with three powers

Elites
5 possessed

Troops
CSM with plasma gun
20 cultists
10 Beserkers

Fast attack
6 nurgle bikers plasma gun
10 raptors with a melta

Heavy support
Hellbrute melta flamer
Landraider dirge caster warpfire guns
Predator 3 Las

Mission: Purge The Alien
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil
My warlord trait: Conqueror of Cities (stealth in ruins)
His warlord trait: rerolls on the chaos boon table after killing a character in a challange
Night fight: No
Combat drugs: reroll to wound

The board
This board was densely packed with alot of terrain on both sides. A big ruin sat in the center with forest on its right and a hill on the left. At my end of the board there were two forests, a lake, a imperial statuary and a chaos shrine within spitting distance of each other. Team Fotress anyone? Razz on my opponents side, there was a ruin a forest and a lake.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmdeploymen

Deployment
My opponent placed his landraider full of the khorne lord and beserkers behind the hill, the hellbrute stood on its right and the CSM squad with the sorceror lord on left. (all of this is from my perspective). The cultist stood between the helbrute and the landraider with the possessed hiding behind. The Las predato went to the right of the helbrute and the nurglebikes were placed on the far right. The raptors will be deepstriking.
Over on my side, I placed one talos, a reaver squad, and a true born venom behind the central imperial statuary (3+ cover save ftw Razz ). One haemonculi wych raider went to the far left opposite the CSM. The other haemy raider and Lelith's raider loitered on the far right by one the forests and the chaos shrine. The second talos went with them, taking cover in the forest. The last true born venom and the warrior venom hid behind lelith's raider. The first ravager deployed behind the chaos shrine and the second one deployed dead center with a clear shot on the land raider. The last reaver squad went in reserves.

Chaos wins roll off and decides to go first.

My opponent didn't bring his dex so he had to refer to the GW copy of it to determine his gift of mutation. I was just as bad in the fact that I left all my dice, measuring tape, and dexes at home like a numpty. So I had to borrow the dice of doom from a friend. They are called that as they have a notorious habit of rolling loads of ones. Sad

Opponent rolls for boons getting adamantium will on the lord and reroll armours on his biker champ. He gets iron arm and weapon rot ( unit targetted counts weapons as gets hot) and a nurgle blast on his sorceror.

I fail to sieze with a one *facepalm* no surprises the.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn1chao

CSM turn 1
My opponent rumbles forward with his infantry. The cultist moved into the center ruin and later ran six inches. The CSM climbed the hill and lurked behind the crest. All vehicles bar the hellbrute remained still to maximize shooting. The possessed crept forward in the shadow of the land raider and the nurgle bikers hurtled up the flank.
In the shooting phase the bikers unleashed bolters and a plasma gun on the rightmost haemy raider succeeding in glancing it once. The landraider opened fire into the talos in the forest but failed to hurt it. The predator did the same and also failed to wound it. Only the hellbrute managed to hurt it with its multimelta. The CSM ran into position and so did possessed. The sorceror casted the weapon rot power on my reavers but they denied the wych. (That left her very unhappy. The wych I mean Very Happy )

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn1dark

DE turn 1
I reacted to this blunt assault in the only way I could, by surging forward with my army. Lelith's raider moved towards the bikers with the warrior and true born venoms following. The dinged up haemy raider zipped behind the ruin in the middle. Both ravagers zoomed forward, one gunned for the landraider the other for the bikes. The true born venom behind the statuary on the left edged out a little and the reavers flew forward to aim for a Turbo boost over the cultists.
My shooting phase was a bit more successful than my opponents. The ravager in the center took a crack at the landraider carrying the lord plus berserkers. The three beams of dark light only dealt a single hull point worth of damage. Awww. Trueborn and their sneaking venom shot the CSM squad, rolling alot of ones in the process, but killing two CSM. The vehicles on the right flank did a little better, with the venoms, true born, and pistols from Lelith's hand maidens obliterating all the biker squad except for the champ. This lone biker champ went onto to surviving the ravagers lances, the warrior squads rifles and the reavers slashing him ( they bladevaned him in the attempt at first blood). 5+ jink and rerollable armour saves kept him trucking. Well... that was fail...
On top of that my reavers were one inch away from him due to the board edge and that meant he could assault them with his power sword...
On a happier note my Talos in the forest flamed some cultists. The bad thing was that when he went to charge them he failed due to cover and the flamer took off a wound! ( rolled a one for the save Evil or Very Mad ) he has a single wound and is looking down the sights of a lascannon predator. Crap.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn2chao

CSM turn 2
The raptors decided the time was not right to descend and stayed in reserves.
My opponent attempted to capitalize some of my mistakes from my previous turn. His land raider ground forward to the base of the hill to trade shots with the ravager in the center. The sorceror also casted weapon rot on it and iron arm on himself, boosting his strength and toughness by two. The lone biker champ predictably turned around to deal with the impudent fools who tried to cut him earlier. He clearly wanted to hack them a bit to make them understand how it feels to be slashed by a biker. The Las pred left the talos, to my surprise, and poked around the ruin to take out Lelith's raider. Uh oh.
The possessed moved to reinforce the cultists and the cultists backed away from the Talos . The shooting phase starting with the Las pred annihilating Lelith's raider in a thunderous detonation that killed six wyches and put a wound on Lelith. ( just like when I fought the knights and tau) confused the squad was not pinned and passed its leadership test. The hellbrute and cultists blasted the Talos with no effect. He is just unkillable! The sorcerors CSM squad ripped off one of the true born venoms splinter cannnons, while the land raider stunned the central ravager. The lone biker champ shot up the reavers to 0 effect. The champ then charged them and made his rerrollable armours from poisoned over watch. Hammer of Wrath killed a single reaver. The three remaining bikes slapped the champ and wounded him twice thanks to combat drugs. The champ made both saves however, and I thought he was going to chop my reavers into mince meat when he missed all three power attacks. The reavers lost by one but held in combat denying me a chance to kill him.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn2dark

DE turn 2
Reavers came on from reserves and turboed over to the central ruin, near the Las predator.
I started by moving the dinged up haemy raider so that it was six inches away from the landraider. My raider landed on a rock and immobolized itself ( curse you ones!) The wyches disembarked taking the haemys pain token and leaving him on board for some flamer action. The far left haemy raider zipped in front of the stunned ravager to protect it from harm. The mobile ravager scooted back behind the chaos shrine in order to line up a shot on the hellbrute through the center ruin. Both Taloi closed in menacingly on the cowering cultists. Various venoms hovered into different attack positions, moving only six to make the most from blaster fire. The slightly deweaponed venom and crew decided to suicide up the middle as the CSM were on their doorstep anyway. Lelith and here maidens advanced on the foolish tank that trashed their ride.
In the shooting phase the disembarked wyches attempted to 'soften' up the landraider by chunking a haywire grenade at it. One 3 and two 6's later and the landraider was blown to the moon! The resultant five inch explosion killed cultists three wyches and a possessed! KABOOOOOM!
The lord and beserkers were dumped unceremoniously into a landraider shaped crater, losing one of their number to the fiery detonation. That left them open to more shooting. A great majority of the units on my left flank took opportunity to whittle down the beserkers before the wyches charged. After a hail of dark light and splinters, only two had died in total. The snapfiring ravager attempted to help out and missed, luckily not getting any gets hot. A wych in leliths squad threw a haywire grenade at the Las predator and also got a six to pen, but thankfully pulled of a lascannon instead. Phew Laughing
The true born on the right flank attempted to help out, but all they did was bung off a hull point. A Talos flamed three cultists and caused them to flee, making way for the possessed behind them. The other one ran through the forest and activated an archeotech, which turned out to be a booby trap which failed to hurt it. Toughness seven has its merits Smile
The assault phase was... brutal. The wyches charged into the lords unit and the nearby hellbrute, tanking over watch. The lord challanged and my hekatrix, Bellatrix, accepted. Bella struck first, but rolled ones to wound with her venom blade. Errgh! The khorne lord proceeded to murder her with the murder sword or try to, as Bellatrix made both of her invulnerable saves! The two wyches in combat with the brute penned it on a six and immobolised it (haywire on a roll here!), the brute struck back but failed to get past the wyches invulnerable saves. The six berserkers were far more successful, butchering the last five wyches and leaving Bellatrix to face down the lord by herself. Bella lost by five but passed her morale on snake eyes and fought on!
On the right flank Lelith and her three remaining maidens charged and wrecked the predator with haywire.
In the reaverr combat, the bikes slapped at the champ and wounded him three times but he passed all his saves and fought back, failing to even hit the reavers.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn3chao

CSM turn 3

Raptors appeared and attempted to land behind my venoms on the right flank but scattered of the board, so I got to place them. I decided to put them in a lake far back from all the action. All of them passed their dangerous and the lake became daemonbile. Quite useless.
Chaos began with hellbrute succumbing to fire frenzy and blasting the immbolised raider as Bella was locked in combat and could not be targetted. The raider was cooked faster than a marshmallow over a fire and promptly disingorged an extremely startled haemonculous. The CSM squad moved towards the remaining raider and the sorceror lord casted weapon rot on the single cannon venom that had gone on a suicide run and had been ignored. The cultists fled back a little, enough so that they could see lelith's dwindling squad behind the remains of the predator.
The cultist snapfired at lelith's squad and killed a wyches. The remaining girls held strong. The CSM rapid fired and plasma'd the exposed haemoculous to death. The raptors ran.
In assault the biker champ finally died to a one on an armour save ( my opponent seems to be good at rolling them too). Razz
The reavers consolidated towards the hellbrute.
The possessed charged the talos with one wound left, losing one of their number to ap 3 over watch. The talos attacked first and whiffed. The possessed also whiffed as well.
Now Bellatrix faces down the chaos lord. Striking quickly and furiously she dealt on wound that got past the 2+ armour save. The lord finally remembered how to use a sword and promptly cut her down. Bella called one last spiteful curse before dying, a curse that the chaos gods evidently found very amusing as they rewarded their lord with spawnhood!

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn3dark

DE turn 3

Now that the lord was a spawn, I could easily obtain slay the warlord. Which I did eventually, thanks to the ravager. The suicide venom committed suicide attempting to gun down some khorne beserkers (weapon rot). The truborn popped out and shot the beserkers as well, killing a couple, not losing casualties to weapon rot. The small reaver squad detonated the hellbrute with their heat lance and jumped away. The haemy raider skimmed forward and allowed the wyches plus the haemy to disembark next to the CSM. Lelith and her two last wyches closed in on the remaining cultists and the remaining vehicles manuevered and shot at the beserkers killing all but one. The lone survivor passed morale. The second talos joined the combat with the possessed and finished them off, consolidating towards the CSM.
The haemy and the wyches attempted to rip through the CSM, but eventually lost combat and rolled a one to get away. So they were destroyed. NOOOOO!
The CSM consolidated towards the raider.
Lelith and the two wyches charged and wiped the floor with cultists. The champion dying to nearly twelve attacks. They of course consolidate one inch.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn4chao

CSM turn 4

My opponent consolidates his diminishing numbers in a last desperate push on my left flank. The CSM push in and wipe the trueborn squad in combat. They did lose a marine to an overwatching blaster Very Happy . The khorne beserker moves away from the encroaching dark eldar lines. The 10 raptors jump forward to engage lelith in shooting and combat, but fail at both leaving her very much alive. Yaaay! That's all for him.

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death Darkeldarvscsmturn4darka

DE turn 4

This is the finally turn. My taloi pop out of the ruin and unleash liquid death on the CSM and failing thanks to more ones. The rest of the army was much more successful, vaporizing the beserker with darlight and bring down the rest of the CSM except the sorceror who will live to fight again. Lelith and Co, make it to the havoks along with the reavers and butchered them down to two in a frenzy of glittering blows. At this point my opponent concedes. Victory to the Howling Abyss! Somewhat...

Result
De: Slay the Warlord. Linebreaker (Lelith's squad) 7 units killed. CSM:First Blood 8 units killed.
Opponent would have tied but he conceded and thus got 0 pts. I asked him if he wanted to count it up but he was so discouraged that he didn't even care.
Still a tie in my books though.

Well that is all for me today. Hope I put up a decent show.

Tell me what you think. I'll be glad for any feedback. Very Happy

Shrike out.

Last edited by Shrike423 on Sun Feb 10 2013, 02:49; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 08:34

Sounded like a great game! Thanks for the report.

Those wyches must have been using their "special" haywire grenades that make vehicles explode. I take it the chaos player wasn't to happy getting trounced by a bunch of scantly clad evil space elves.

Thanks for sharing the pain. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 15:28

No he sure wasn't.
He was about livid when his lord became a spawn!

Not sure if I mentioned this in the report, but when he killed poor Bellatrix, he actually got admantium will (he got that at the begginning already) but rerolled due to his warlord power and got spawned!

Lol Razz

My reavers were pretty awesome. Kicking a nurgle biker champ's butt in combat, champ had rerollable armor saves too! Then went and blew up a hellbrute with their lone heat lance, and killing three raptors in combat and only losing a single biker! Razz

Plus haywire grenades exploding like loose firecrackers!

Thanks for the feedback mush!

I really enjoyed your battle against the helldrake trio, it was ace!
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 16:03

Thanks. Smile

Shrike423 wrote:
Not sure if I mentioned this in the report, but when he killed poor Bellatrix, he actually got admantium will (he got that at the begginning already) but rerolled due to his warlord power and got spawned!

Haha! That was rather unfortunate for him. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 16:26

And he was rolling all demon princes for gift of mutation, but had to reroll them. So I guess he used them all up when it didn't matter. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 16:30

As a Chaos player he should know the Chaos Gods are fickle. Wink
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 16:37

True to true.
Khorne was not with him that day. He must not have sacrificed enough Khorne flakes...

I actually made a math mistake in the result. I forgot to total in the nurgle bikers, so it would have actually been a victory.

Silly silly me. Need to work on my addition skills study

Oh well then Cool
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 16:42

All the better! Look forward to the next report. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 16:45

Thanks! Much appreciated! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Real Rod Hull
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 19:28

Not to be a dick, but you do know that you're not allowed to take the secondary detachment from the same codex as the primary don't you?
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 20:09

Actually you can in the form of double force organization. It works in games totalling two thousand points
or higher and is detailed I believe on the page after the detachment chart in the BRB.

Hope that answers your question. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 20:11

Real Rod Hull wrote:
Not to be a dick, but you do know that you're not allowed to take the secondary detachment from the same codex as the primary don't you?

Welcome to The Dark City Real Rod Hull!

If you are playing 2000 points or more, you can take an additional primary detachment (BRB page 110).

Hope that clears up any confusion. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 20:16

Thanks Mush for clearing that up! Very Happy

Sorta forgot where it was in the BRB study
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 21:22

Fixed the images and added the report to the sticky.

I will update the Battle Chronicler guide over the next few days with a step by step guide to adding images to your forum posts and using image shack. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 21:32

Wow! They look better already! Shocked

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
zymrix
Slave
zymrix

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 22:55

Wow! Looked like a realy fun game.
A good reed.
Thanks for the report.
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09 2013, 23:03

No Prob!

Got another game tomorrow verse heretical vanilla marines, so I'll have another report up soon.
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 03:19

Looked like a blast. I have not played chaos since the new codex came out. Everyone here seems to have gone to the dark angels.
Back to top Go down
Real Rod Hull
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 15:42

Well don't I feel silly. For some reason I thought it was a 1500 point list, despite the fact there were obviously too many units for that.
Back to top Go down
Shrike423
Hellion
Shrike423

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 15:51

No problem.

We all make mistakes sometimes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 15:53

Real Rod Hull wrote:
Well don't I feel silly.

Don't! It happens to all of us. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death   Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battle report 2: Cult of the howling abyss vs. Chaos of red death
Page 1 of 1