THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Druchii
Hellion

How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. Empty
PostSubject: How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.   How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 14:24

Hi!

Seems like I have gotten my self into a small dilemma. Last week I got my hands on two boxes of raging heroes blood vestals. But it seem like I can't get the skin tone right. I usually paint the flesh space wolves grey and then use badad black/nuln oil to get a darker shade of grey. The thing is that this works great on faces and other small flesh areas. But when it comes to the larger areas, like on the blood vestals for instance, they look more space wolves grey with a dirty look. Im after a darker grey look not a "month without a proper shower" look. Razz

How would you have done?

Here is a somewhat blurry WIP picture of my Archon to be used as a color reference =)
How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. IMG_9301

[Edit] Here are some better pics. Not great but at least somewhat better ^^

How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. Archon2_zpsa9fe7ffa-1_zps91f9d49e

First we got a close up on my Archon. The skin tone is slightly lighter than the "Wych" below with some darker areas around the eyes and the cheeks

How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. Wych2_zpsead5f82f-1_zps8303990f
Using the same paint methods and the same paints as on my Archon and still there's a more browninsh skin tone.

Last edited by Druchii on Mon Jan 21 2013, 15:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hess
Hellion
Hess

PostSubject: Re: How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.   How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 14:50

Would have enjoyed a more close up of the face with straight light on it rather than from above to give a proper reply. It looks very dark atm Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mein.dk
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.   How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 15:42

I use the new Russ Grey, wash with a 50/50 mix of Druchii Violet and Aggrax(whatever replaced Devlan Mud), highlighted with Administratum Grey, final highlight using 50/50 mix of Administratum Grey/white. It has changed a bit over the years given all of the formula changes from GW paints, but the overall approach has been the same for me since 3rd edition.
Back to top Go down
Druchii
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.   How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 15:44

Yeah I've added two more pics. The pictures are not that great but I don't have a better camera than what my phone offers atm.
Overall the close ups are terrible. =) You can see all the frak ups much easier. I need to make my gals get some more make up before our next real space raid =P

[Edit] I'm to slow to post it seems =P
Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look into those paints and hopefully I'll get better results =P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.   How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to paint "Drow-like" skin tone.
Page 1 of 1