THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Farseer as an ally

Go down 
+12
Massaen
FenWulf
Skye26
Nomic
mug7703
Siticus the Ancient
Murkglow
Lay_Ayanesha
Count Adhemar
Saintspirit
colinsherlow
DarkCycu
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DarkCycu
Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 23:06

hello fellow kin(and probable rivals), this is my 1st post here with following questions:

1. Can i employ farseer with suqad i a transport ( I know that allies can't use allied vehicles, but maybe IC is an exeption)?
2. ways of using Seer? Which powers are the best for DE?
3. Are CWE allies useful?

Last edited by DarkCycu on Thu Jan 31 2013, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 23:22

1. I don't believe the farseer can get in an allies transport.

2. I tend to take a seer with ruins of warding. A jetbike and a cheap power for divination. The default power is a much improved guide. So I usually take that. The seer is a force multiplier so I put him where needed. Near a ravanger, warrior blob and beast pack or war walkers. He can also contest enemy objectives late game if necessary with a 48inch move+turbo boost.

3. I love using eldar allies. I take the seer as above in a warrior blob and a ravanger.
I also take 2 units of 3 guardian jet bikes (which i always reserve) which can also move 48 inches to capture objective. And 3 war walkers with scatter lasers (usually outflank).

You don't need eldar allies, but they deff give your army a good boost

Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 23:37

Tyvm Smile
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 23:42

Guardian jet bikes in my opinion are the best deal point for point troops in the game. At 66pts you have a T4 3+ save a 5+/4+ jink save and a unit the can travel 48 inches to grab/contest objectives. These are game winners in my eyes. So 132 points gets you 2 awesome scoring units

Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 07:50

Moving this to mercenaries and allies (this is about Eldar, not Dark Eldar)

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.

Last edited by Saintspirit on Sun Feb 03 2013, 16:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 09:32

colinsherlow wrote:
Guardian jet bikes in my opinion are the best deal point for point troops in the game. At 66pts you have a T4 3+ save a 5+/4+ jink save and a unit the can travel 48 inches to grab/contest objectives. These are game winners in my eyes. So 132 points gets you 2 awesome scoring units

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I see a 3-man unit across the table from me, with T4 and a 3+ save, that unit is dead. No question about it. In fact, I'd make a point of targeting it 1st turn for an easy VP.

As for the OP's questions:

1) There was an argument recently on one of the blogs I read where the author seemed to feel that the rules for IC's joining units override the rules for Battle Brothers not being able to embark on allied transports. It seems however that he is the only person who feels that way I'd have to say that the specific point made on page 112 takes precedence over any general rules for ICs

Quote :
However, note that not even Battle Brothers can embark in allied transport vehicles.

2) I'm a big fan of Eldrad. For less points than a similarly geared standard Farseer you get a far better version. Only drawback is that he can't ride a jetbike but for me that is not an issue as I stick him in the back with some decent firepower around him and use him as a force multiplier.

3) Yes, very much so. Not essential but very useful.

Lay_Ayanesha
Hellion

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 10:05

Count Adhemar wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I see a 3-man unit across the table from me, with T4 and a 3+ save, that unit is dead. No question about it. In fact, I'd make a point of targeting it 1st turn for an easy VP.

You're totally right, thats the reason why a smart DE player should reserve and hide them until the 5th turn. But if the game won't end after the 5th, three small jetbikes are death in most of the cases. Eldar jetbikes are nice, but nothing more.

1) No farseer in DE vehicles.

2) Farseer with divination or Eldrad with telephaty. I prefer to support my beasts with them or....

3) Eldar Harlequins, an Archon and a farseer with eldar powers. The are a little bit slow, but if you play them right, extremely powerful.
Back to top Go down
DarkCycu
Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 10:17

I'm trying to make my army a bit stronger, especially when it comes to fight 6th ed. DA and CSM, that is why i looked in this direction. I have a friend who plays CWE, but he's rarely at home, so I have to have my own Eldar Very Happy

Do u think that Seer with dark reapers would be a valid idea ? An IC in defense while Warlord is on the front line can be good option. What do u think ?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 10:25

DarkCycu wrote:
Do u think that Seer with dark reapers would be a valid idea ? An IC in defense while Warlord is on the front line can be good option. What do u think ?

I used this combo last week to pretty good effect.

Linky

DarkCycu
Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 11:21

Smile very good effect. Tell me, how many powers can Seer have? With stones he has ML2 so rules would allow 2, but then what about codex powers ? Furthermore, i see divination is the best Smile
Back to top Go down
Lay_Ayanesha
Hellion

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 11:38

Divination is extremely powerful, but telepathy can be even harder, if you take a look at casts nr. 5 and 6 (and yes, the need two points to be casted). One game my big unit of beasts was controlled five turns by a chaos wizard with telepathy and did nothing or the beasts killed each other.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 11:43

DarkCycu wrote:
Smile very good effect. Tell me, how many powers can Seer have? With stones he has ML2 so rules would allow 2, but then what about codex powers ? Furthermore, i see divination is the best Smile

Psychic Powers
A Farseer (including Eldrad Ulthran) may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Eldar. If he does so, for each psychic power he has purchased from Codex: Eldar, generate a new power from either the Divination or Telepathy discipline (in any combination) before armies are deployed. Eldrad Ulthran generates four new powers.

Murkglow
Kabalite Warrior
Murkglow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 13:04

In other words, a farseer can have as many powers as you spend the points to buy for them (well up to the max number of powers in the eldar book) mastery level has no effect on that. Mastery level simply dictates how many you can cast a turn.

So a mastery level 1 farseer could have mind war, fortune, and guide all at once (again assuming you pay the points for them) and could trade them for three rolls on the various powers tables if desired. He could only cast 1 a turn though.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 15:36

Guardian Bikes should always be in reserve. So no easy first blood. As for objective taking late game (5th turn). This also puts the opponent in a hard position as they are now forced to deal with 2 units in their own deployment zone. Which can make this difficult for them to sometimes push forwards. Plus by then my opponents forces a rather week and even taking a gjb can beva pain. Both units can try 1 objective as well. Which makes them harder to remove. Plus my bike seer has done this to great effect as well.
I do this all the time at it works if you are a skilled enough player.
If you can't make them work for you then try something else.
They are my piece of cake

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 16:05

With the 6e reserve rules it's hard to keep units off the table for long, even when you want to! You then have to spend 3-4 turns hiding them completely from sight, because if a unit can see them they will die. Not to mention it only takes 1 casualty to force a LD test (on Ld8) and, if you're hiding them, run the risk of having them flee off the table.

I just find them very situational. IF you go second, IF you manage to keep them in reserve until turn 3 or 4, IF you can hide them until Turn 5 without taking any casualties, IF they can get within 3" of an objective on Turn 5, IF the game doesn't go on for another turn etc, etc.

colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 16:27

I see your point. I just have had no troubles is keeping them alive. The unit is small and easy to hide. There ate always bigger threats on the board that my opponent would father's shoot at. If they want to shoot the bikes then that's fine as well. Because that means that they are not shooting at my more killing units. But I do see where you concerns come from

Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 16:35

That and I designed my list to use them well. They are not something just something that you through in. You have to design your list around the allies. Or design the allies around your list

Adhemer. Eldrad does kick butt. If I were to spend more points on my see I would just take eldrad instead.

Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 19:38

Hmm, for keeping things in reserve 6 on divination is awesome Smile 3d6 on reserves? Yes please Smile
As i stated before, i plan on running Seer in defence, or support. I know that it depends on the power rolls.
Keeping that i mind, i'm going to buy 1x guardian, 1x dark reapers and ofc seer.
What do u think about such combination ?
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 21:33

Like others said, Guardian jetbikes really need to be in reserves... but if all goes as planned and they only show up in turn 4... they can nab or contest objectives really fast. Thing is, you usually will want to run two suads of them to maximize their chances of staying alive.

As for Farseer, I've found an offensive Farseer on jetbike riding with Reavers to be a pretty good asset. One roll on Divination (for Prescience), one on Telepathy (dictating the active combat role a little). Puppet Master is my most favourite power of the bunch - I love the look on the enemy's face when his Leman Russ turns its turret towards his army, shoots, then gets turned into a molten slag with Heat Lances.

One of my regular opponents fields Eldrad a lot, and honestly, if you're not using a Jetbike Farseer, you must use Eldrad - those four rolls on powers for the ability to cast three powers a turn, allowing to doublecast one is just too good to pass up. Basically he's the backfield support kind of guy, as opposed to Jetseer being more in your face and offensive.

DarkCycu
Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 21:52

So generally, seer is out-shined by Eldrad when it comes to defence but seer is better whne we want to wreck our oppenent's nerves Very Happy
Looks like Eldrad is quite OP as far as massive psychic boost is concerned. In this case i'll have to buy hm or just make my own char using his rules Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 21:57

It's got more to do with the fact that Eldrad is simply more cost-effective than a regular Farseer. I remember trying to make an equivalent Farseer (but with Mastery 2 and lacking other Eldrad's adantages) and I came up something close to 260 points. So yeah, that price for a T3, 4++ model when Eldrad has T4 and 3++...

DarkCycu
Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 22:10

Hmm. so ther s only 1 frue psyker Very Happy that s Eldrad Very Happy Gotta test him asap Very Happy And when choosing Eldrad only BDB powers are uese full, cuz from CWE dex only doom can be used, am I right ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Murkglow
Kabalite Warrior
Murkglow

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 22:15

Eldrad is a beast in pretty much every respect. Being tougher then other seers is great but the real value to Eldrad is his staff. Being able to cast a third power and that power can be a copy of one already played? That's nearly priceless all by itself. The fact that it's also stupidly strong in melee (only limited by Eldrad's weak A stat) probably won't come up as often but it is pretty awesome and means eldrad can defend himself better then most support characters. Unless you honestly can't get around the lack of a jetbike I find it really hard not to snap Eldrad up over a generic seer every single time.

DarkCycu wrote:
And when choosing Eldrad only BDB powers are uese full, cuz from CWE dex only doom can be used, am I right ? Very Happy

You can't cast Guide/Fortune on Dark Eldar units, yes. He can still make use of them if you have a set of eldar units to use them on though.
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 02:21

A great synergy is adding a Jetbike Farseer with Doom and a 3 man Guardian Jetbike unit. This comes to under 200 points and so isn't a great chunk of your army. Still I'd only take them in games of 1,000 points or over.

I run this guy in a list with a 9 man Reaver squad who always begin the game with a PT thanks to a Haemon starting with them (when I'm not starting them in reserve which I have the option to do if I get a 6 on the CD table, however they can't be with the Farseer then). I love adding the Farseer with doom for several reasons:

- He can use Doom when you're fighting enemies you want to get the most out of your poison against. He turns it into anthrax giving you a 75% chance of wounding everything!

- He can roll on the Divination table instead, this can give the Reavers a 4++ which is great if you're up against an army with lots of flamers.
- If he gets ignore cover this is great against tyranids and guard.
- If he gets misfortune this is lethal against marines.

- He can always have the option of prescience which is a great power and greatly increases your armies strength. He can start near a Ravager and make it a T1 killing machine.
- If you're fighting an army with good psychic defence you can switch his role to buffing your own units.

I know a lot of this is circumstantial but in my experience he gives me a lot of options between these different results and I can decide what is the best thing to do against the enemy I'm fighting.

He can start with the Guardian Jetbikes and fly around boosting the rest of the army if you don't want to make the Reavers such an appealing target. Not to mention his great psychic defence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
DarkCycu
Hellion
DarkCycu

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 06:42

Some decent usages, Ty. Summarising, Jetseer, eldrad, and what about puting him in serpent and go with e.g. banshies ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Farseer as an ally Empty
PostSubject: Re: Farseer as an ally   Farseer as an ally I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Farseer as an ally
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next