THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Teleporting into area terrain?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tlronin
Wych

Teleporting into area terrain? Empty
PostSubject: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 08:45

Greetings my fellow Archons,

Do any of you own a GK codex or know that teleport move they can do? The GK player had a squad with forceswords and halberts which could teleport 30" once a game. He teleported them right into ruins on area terrain. I've been meaning to ask him, but my curiousity is burning...

Wouldn't he have to make a dangerous terrain test then? Or is that teleport move so special?
Back to top Go down
RabbitMaster
Hellion
RabbitMaster

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 08:58

Yeah he had to make some dangerous terrain test as the teleport is a special ability of their jump pack (and using the jump pack for moving makes you roll dangerous terrain test if you start or end your move in a difficult terrain, such as ruins).

Nothing in the teleport rule prevent this. Still it's a great ability Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:05

Aha, thank you. There's always a trade off for such great stuff. Seemed unreasonable he didn't have any.

It's great indeed. He shoved them down my throaght to deal with it while his other stuff got into position. Everything he had hit on a 3+. Everything had rerolls. S5's and S8's everywhere. He massacred me. Poor dicerolls too though, mind you. I even failed my 3+ coversave from the 4+ ruin + the odd angle modifier. Did my best to claim coversaves all over the place and failed it all basically. Was a horrible game to be honest...
Back to top Go down
RabbitMaster
Hellion
RabbitMaster

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:20

It's not a big trade-off however. Having to roll 1's then fail an armor save at 3+... not really scary nor game-changing (in 5th edition i was afraid of dangerous tests, it's not the case anymore Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:27

The 30" move is called a Teleport Shunt and ignores terrain. Only usable once per game. The rest of the time they move as Jump Infantry and would therefore need to take terrain tests as normal.
Back to top Go down
RabbitMaster
Hellion
RabbitMaster

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:33

Count Adhemar wrote:
The 30" move is called a Teleport Shunt and ignores terrain. Only usable once per game. The rest of the time they move as Jump Infantry and would therefore need to take terrain tests as normal.
The rule only says it ignore intervening terrain Wink
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:37

No, it says "ignores intervening units, terrain etc". You could argue that means intevening units and intervening terrain etc but the general consensus is that it ignores intervening units and terrain (intervening or otherwise). I've certainly never seen anyone require a terrain test from this ability.
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:53

Well, English is not my 1st language. But I would certainly like to argue the meaning of intervening. It means to me any piece of terrain that is in between your start and endpoint. But if you're jump infantry and you END your move in difficult terrain you' ll have to make a terrein test IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:55

tlronin wrote:
Well, English is not my 1st language. But I would certainly like to argue the meaning of intervening. It means to me any piece of terrain that is in between your start and endpoint. But if you're jump infantry and you END your move in difficult terrain you' ll have to make a terrein test IMHO.

I agree but the argument is whether the rule says "intervening terrain" in the first place.
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 09:57

Oh... Well, I don't know that ofcoure. Can anybody with a GK codex help us out?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 10:00

tlronin wrote:
Oh... Well, I don't know that ofcoure. Can anybody with a GK codex help us out?

Points a couple of posts up

I already quoted what the rule says. It's a question of interpretation.
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 10:03

You' re hurting my head. So first you quote the rule:

"ignores intervening units, terrain etc"

And then you say:

"the argument is whether the rule says "intervening terrain" in the first place"

While in your quote of the rule you say that it says intervening terrain... What the hell are you saying?? Lol. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 10:06

I'm saying it says "intervening units comma terrain" and debating whether that means "intervening units and intervening terrain" or "intervening units and terrain (intervening or otherwise)"?
Back to top Go down
RabbitMaster
Hellion
RabbitMaster

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 10:12

Well personnaly, when i read "ignores intervening models, terrain and so on" (actual quote of the codex) i understand "ignores intervening models and intervening terrain and every other intervening things".

If i read it your way, i don't really know what's the purpose of the "and so on". It feels like i can put everything i want here, the teleport will ignore it.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 10:19

RabbitMaster wrote:
Well personnaly, when i read "ignores intervening models, terrain and so on" (actual quote of the codex) i understand "ignores intervening models and intervening terrain and every other intervening things".

If i read it your way, i don't really know what's the purpose of the "and so on". It feels like i can put everything i want here, the teleport will ignore it.

I agree it's unclear and to be honest I think it could actually come down to a "dice for it" situation. Could definitely do with a FAQ. Personally I think it's intended to ignore all terrain but there's a decent argument for only ignoring intervening terrain. Still, as pointed out earlier, dangerous terrain is much less dangerous in 6e so not a huge issue even if you do need to take the test.
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 10:20

Oh I see. Well the "etc" at the end tells me I should read it like: "intervening units and intervening terrain and... whatever else you can think of"

I agree it's not even that important. But still... As a good Archon every dead marine (or Grey Knight) counts! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teleporting into area terrain?   Teleporting into area terrain? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teleporting into area terrain?
Page 1 of 1