THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

vehicles cover in area terrain

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tlronin
Wych

vehicles cover in area terrain Empty
PostSubject: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 12:32

Ey peeps,

I know the general rules about models (any model so also vehicles, monstrous creatures etc...) in area terrain. They don't need to be obscured. But I had a few games with various people and some things strike me as really odd which makes me to believe we're not playing this right. Like:

- A huge tank on top of an empty piece of cardboard which we declared area terrain with 5+ cover and the tank claimed that 5+ cover;
- A huge deamon prince on top of an empty piece of cardboard which we declared area terrain with 5+ cover and the prince claimed that 5+ cover;
- But... I also once had this big Ork trukk with barely one of his tracks in a small bit of area terrain (a rock with a bit of base work which we declared 5+ area terrain) and he claimed the coversave from the area terrain.

Are we missing something or is area terrain this crazy really?

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 12:48

Vehicles can't benefit from area terrain (BRB page 75).

As for monstrous creatures they do benefit from area terrain so yes a wraith lord in a forest will get a cover save.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 12:52

Thnx mate.

I knew it! I knew there was a passage addressing this issue. But I doubted myself because I had 2 different opponents claiming the same thing.

Odd about that would be, a Deamon Prince with only his left hoove in area terrain still claiming coversave. Oh well... It's ofcourse an abstraction, so we' ll have to deal with that. Wink

Well, case closed I'd say. Some questions are easy... Embarassed

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 13:09

Personally as I see it a daemon prince with his foot in area terrain, is not "in" area terrain but "partial in" area terrain. The rules state the model needs to be "in" area terrain. If the models base is not entirely in the area terrain then the model isn't "in" the area terrain, and therefore doesn't benefit from the cover save. That's how I see it anyway.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 13:16

Well, I would agree with you, because playing it otherwise seems a bit silly to me.

On the other hand, I was once made to take a dangerous terrain test on my Venom, because a part of it's hull (a sideblade) was over area terrain...

Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 13:19

Don't have my rule book at the work, but if I recall correctly the picture beside the rule Mush mentioned shows that it is only required to clip the terrain in order to gain coversave. The wordin on the other hand says othervice. (same as hull mounted weapon arcs ,different pic and wording)

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 13:28

That's how I play it with my daemons anyway.

Another alternative arrangement is 50% of the models base needs to be in area terrain. In any case it's pretty silly to have a Trygon benefit from area terrain because the edge of it's base is 1/2" into area terrain.

Quote :
Don't have my rule book at the work, but if I recall correctly the picture beside the rule Mush mentioned shows that it is only required to clip the terrain in order to gain coversave.

On page 19? The Orks that are clipping terrain in that picture are behind a ruin (that's why they get the cover save). The ones in the crater look like they are wholly within the crater. But it's one of those things the rule book doesn't clarify unfortunately. Sad

Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 13:32

@Vasara: Maybe it's because you don't have your rulebook with you at work, but I'm looking at a digital version at work (for personal use only ofcourse) and picture 1 actually explains that less than 25% is obscured so the Rhino does in fact not receive a coversave (if you' re talking about page 75 that is).

@Mush: Clear agreements up front I suppose....

Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 07:56

I need to scan my rulebook also...

Then I can check before I post false rules.

Mushkilla wrote:

On page 19? The Orks that are clipping terrain in that picture are behind a ruin (that's why they get the cover save). The ones in the crater look like they are wholly within the crater. But it's one of those things the rule book doesn't clarify unfortunately. Sad

I also looked more closely to that picture and the one was clearly behind the ruin alright. But those that were in the crater. Two of them were only partially in it. But certainly more than 50% in it. Thanks GW for clear rules scratch

Please edit the post next time, will you? - Saint
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 08:14

Yeah it's pretty hard to tell with the irregular crater shape. It's really only an issue with big base models.

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 20:32

I've moaned about this to my friend who plays with nids for ages! Cover save for a monstrous creature that is not obscured is crazy imo.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 20:32

I've moaned about this to my friend who plays with nids for ages! Cover save for a monstrous creature that is not obscured is crazy imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vehicles cover in area terrain   vehicles cover in area terrain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

vehicles cover in area terrain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: