THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Squad markings

Go down 
+7
Cavash
King Alacran
ravengoescaw
Erebus
Dogmar
Massaen
1++
11 posters
AuthorMessage
1++
Hekatrix

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24 2013, 11:39

Wondering what others do for marking different sqauds in their army. Wyches can take tattoos but I'm kinda stuck on what to do for my Warrior sqauds.

(working on getting some of those elusive painting points I never seem to catch)

Klaivex
Massaen

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24 2013, 13:06

I have made each units helms the same... this means i eliminated the need for markings!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24 2013, 14:37

I currently paint all my warriors and wyches the same and try to remember which model goes in which unit. That's not too hard most of the time, however I'm thinking about different hair colours or tattoos for wyches and differently coloured shoulder plates on the kabalite armor.
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24 2013, 18:49

Massaen wrote:

I have made each units helms the same
This is what I do. I make each individual unit as uniform in appearance as possible while keeping them as distinct as possible from every other unit.

For example, only pilots get the bubble helmet. Wyches are all bear-headed. Trueborn are also without helm, but wear cloaks. Regular Kabalites are all helmed, with only a Sybarite getting a plumed helmet.

If you want to differentiate between several units of kabalites - and you're using the current range of models - you could paint the cloth on the legs in different colours, or just a line somewhere on it if your colour scheme doesn't allow the whole thing to be painted while maintaining consistency. Alternatively, you could do the same but on one shoulder/knee guard.

Hekatrix

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24 2013, 20:36

Yeah unfortunately everything is built but I do like the helm ideas.

I'm thinking of painting one shoulder pad of each 5 man unit a different colour. I might try to freehand a marking on one shoulder pad. I might do a drybrush tinge and hit the helmets that way. Few ideas to try out

Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25 2013, 05:43

I am looking for the answer to the same problem I was going to try the chest, and a different number of drops for each squad.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
King Alacran
Slave
King Alacran

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25 2013, 16:36

i thought about this also as i like to have my squads versatile as i magnetized all special weapons and switch up squad sizes alot. i thought a gem or skull or some item magnetized on each base for squad distinction. now i don't have examples as i honestly plan to base my whole army when i get a full army painted but for example a skull magnetized to some bases for one squad and space marine brain buckets for another. small items that don't require a large magnet and can be used essentially for any army. a hundred small magnets under 10 dollars a bunch of enemy skulls priceless. i don't find it necessary for distinguishing as i do that already with grey arm less guys but instead to tie them together visually or that will be the plan. scratch
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25 2013, 17:04

All of my squads have a different style paint scheme, so I know who goes with who. My first squad was all done blue with gold shoulder plates and a gold left grieve. Other squads have different parts painted in gold. One of my squads is just blue and another were all painted silver and I used washes to get a blue effect.
They look ramshackle, but it works. Who needs uniformity?

Squad markings YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
King Alacran
Slave
King Alacran

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25 2013, 18:11

but what if you want to field a 20 man/woman squad Razz . i don't think uniformity is necessary in a whole army but its nice within units. least amount of models with the greatest amount of versatility is my aim, but its boring painting the same freaking colors

Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25 2013, 18:40

Then I paint that twenty man/woman squad the same after hitting myself in the face with my codex for not wanting to have two ten strong squads in Raiders. Razz
I do keep uniformity within units, just not within my army, is what I meant.

Squad markings YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
King Alacran
Slave
King Alacran

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 20:30

Razz i understand keeping simply squad uniformity that's how my marines are i would get bored after painting 5 guys the same .but with my fickle nature when it comes to army lists im suppressing my ADD when i comes to color scheme.

P.S. why hit yourself do you like the pain are you giving in to she who thirsts.... i thought that wasn't allowed in the dark city but what do i know I'm still a slave Sad

Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 21:52

Quote :
P.S. why hit yourself do you like the pain are you giving in to she who thirsts.... i thought that wasn't allowed in the dark city but what do i know I'm still a slave Sad

Power from pain! Nobody ever said whose pain it had to be! Razz

Squad markings YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Archon Darkanis
Hellion
Archon Darkanis

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01 2013, 22:14

The way I mark squads is:

SQUAD A: Left knee armour
SQUAD B: Left shoulder armour
SQUAD C: Right knee armour
SQUAD D: Right shoulder armour
SQUAD E: Helmet

I belive this will still work with DE from what I've seen of the models. Sorry I just bought my 1st battleforce and haven't started painting yet. When I was painting models for commission I actually never got to paint any DE.

redwulfe
Hellion

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2013, 05:46

typically with models that I like having individual flavor with I tend to not mark on the model itself but to paint the ring of the base differently to designate squads. so I may pick a base color of dark red almost blackish red to do the base rim in and then paint a symbol on the rim all the way around in a Eldaresque script to make it look cool. For a different squad I would use a different symbol or maybe a different color like blackish green and use the same symbols. all in all the squads can be picked out easily on the table and in my display the bases are usually sunk into the display board so you can't see the bases rim. Just a thought.

Red
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2013, 06:44

I'll differentiate between Kabalite squads by putting a different linear pattern on the helms of each squad. Gunboat squad 1, for example, would have a vertical line on the forehead, squad 2 a horizontal line encircling the helm, and similar things for other squads. Trueborn run around without helmets, and with the plates on their upper left arms painted bone white.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
TheWailingKing
Slave
TheWailingKing

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitimeSat May 25 2019, 07:16

These are all BRILLIANT ideas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squad markings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad markings   Squad markings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squad markings
Page 1 of 1