THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Magnetizing vehicle options?

Go down 
+18
xzandrate
Incubi Death
Plague
Gobsmakked
Grumpy Kwi
GrenAcid
SinisterPlank
Torpedo Vegas
Fah
Foo
Fletch
Darklight
Local_Ork
Nomic
GAR
Lysis
Radium
Kinnay
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 16:50

I did magnet to magnet. The magnets I have are just the right size that two of them replace the part connecting the sail to the base (I just cut thta part off, glued one magnet in it's place and glued the other one onto the base).

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 16:58

magnet to magent

Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Plague
Kabalite Warrior
Plague

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 21:33

Nomic wrote:
There's a special shock prow ram that comes with the Ravager.

Good to know as I really like the look of the Raider with the ram much more than I do without.

Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02 2011, 19:09

I actually finished up the majority of my raider last night. A couple heads to put on, and the spikes and skulls around the prow. But I manged to magnetize quite a bit.

The entire sail assembly is magnetized to the grating, the magnets fit perfectly in the grate I just needed to sink some similar sized magnets into the posts.

The front gun mounting hole needed to be drilled out just a bit, and a magnet fit perfectly. The bottom of the gun mount had the peg cut off, and drilled in a little to put a flat headed nail to magnetize to. The gunner arms worked nicely at fitting to the gun and clipping into the gunner that they didn't have to be glued, so the arms pivot at the shoulders, and the gunner stands freely.

Finally, because of the issues and potential breakage with the sail assembly coming off, I magnetized the pilot. Small magnets were sunk into his feet, then two slightly larger (and stronger) magnets were slid under the grating and glued into position of where his feet would stand.

It actually worked fairly well, I was happy that the pilot grates didn't actually touch the body of the raider, so there was room to slide magnets underneath after the fact. Lesson learned though, grates go in last next time.
Back to top Go down
stinger989
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15 2011, 17:38

having everything magnitized is really nice for transporting and i do it to save room in my foam. That way when i order my battlefoam i can get more in a bag as i need less room.

makes things way less prone to breaking too.
Back to top Go down
Allidor
Slave
Allidor

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27 2011, 15:09

The nice thing about the weapon turret is that it doesn't need glue or magnets to stay in its slot. In retrospect, I wish I had magnetized my sail on my first Raider instead of accidentally snapping the piece off and then greenstuff/gluing the top on.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles
High Elves 2000 pts
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 17:03

I also magnetized the weapons on my Razorwing and Talos. The magnets I have happen to be just the right size to fit into the weapon sockets of the Rzorwing and the tail socket of the Talos (and I had an extra tail since I got two of the kits and made one into a Chronos). The hardest part about magnetizing the Razorwing is the front gun, which I needed to do a lot of cutting to.

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 17:12

Allidor wrote:
The nice thing about the weapon turret is that it doesn't need glue or magnets to stay in its slot. In retrospect, I wish I had magnetized my sail on my first Raider instead of accidentally snapping the piece off and then greenstuff/gluing the top on.

my turrets are magnetized and the gunner is glued to them. All I do is pop it off and then I know the weapon is destroyed.

Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 18:02

What about magnetising the venom pintle mount cannon - anyone done this?

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 18:36

Massaen wrote:
What about magnetising the venom pintle mount cannon - anyone done this?

I thought about it briefly, but I don't have magnets anywhere near small enough and I couldn't see how to do it decently so as not to mess up the aesthetics of the mount. My opponents are always happy with a weapon destroyed counter anyway, so overall it just wasn't worth the effort.

It's not going to get knocked around during transport, either.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 18:40

I simply magnetised the gunner's foot to the floor and glued the weapon to him. This way I can plug the pintle weapon into the slot without having to magnetise that small part, while still having stability through the magnet in the gunner's foot.

SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 21:59

Nomic wrote:
I also magnetized the weapons on my Razorwing and Talos. The magnets I have happen to be just the right size to fit into the weapon sockets of the Rzorwing and the tail socket of the Talos (and I had an extra tail since I got two of the kits and made one into a Chronos). The hardest part about magnetizing the Razorwing is the front gun, which I needed to do a lot of cutting to.

1) There's a much easier way, put a piece of styrene behind the mount, and put a magnet in it.
2) Put a magnet in the back ot the cannon piece so it connects with the magnet in the body
3) discard the rifles' mount and glue them to a flat piece of styrene
4) put a square piece of styrene on the back of this strip, like the locating peg on the cannon
5) Put a magnet into the piece of styrene from step 4

Done! Smile

I will post pictures tonight to explain better.

Last edited by SirTainly on Fri Jul 29 2011, 06:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 06:29

As promised -

Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 5986928010_a2c4013cd6

Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 5986928006_a871741eac
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 10:14

Only magnets I had were too big to fit into the hole like that, so I had to cut away the top part of the piece behind the weapon and put the magnet there.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Magnetizing vehicle options? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnetizing vehicle options?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2