THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders

Go down 
+4
Mandor
Aschen
Brom
cymera
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cymera
Slave
cymera

Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders Empty
PostSubject: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 23:17

I've been thinking about the viability of 3 Trueborn with 2 Splinter Cannons in a Raider.

Similar to 5 Warriors+Blaster in a Venom, but with double the range on the darklight for 7 less points. Also shouldn't be much of a fire magnet. Seems like it could effectively sit backfield while being a decent threat.

Anybody ever tried this out?
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 02:21

Its a trade off, less dark light for greater range and thus greater survivability than blasterborn, I dont see anything wrong with it. They would fill the role of pseudo lite-ravagers maybe if you wanted to run multiple pain engines or something.
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
Aschen

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 07:53

Personally, I run 3 tb, with splinter cannons in a venom. The venom can stay still and get a 5++, meaning that the splinter cannons are always firing at the heavy setting, not the assault setting
Back to top Go down
Mandor
Kabalite Warrior
Mandor

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 10:38

I sometimes run three TB with 2 SCs with a Venom. The TB deploy out of the Venom at an Aegis with Quadgun to mount the gun. This works reasonably well versus reserve heavy forces.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 15:58

its not a bad set up by far, but what makes the 5 man warrior blaster in venom so good is it being a troop choice as well. But if you fill out your troops, these make a decent addition to your army any day.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
PainReaver
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13 2013, 18:52

I can see myself definitely running this should i expand my 1.5 k list into 1850.

Though I need to find a way to make Splinter Cannons after I use them to make Blasters.

Some maths

3 TB with 2x SC in a Raider with DL- 8 (12 stat.) 36" poisoned (4+) ap 5 shots + 1 36" s8 ap2 at 2 different targets on the move.
3 TB with 2x SC in a Raider with DC- 8 (12 stat.) 36" poisoned (4+) ap 5 shots + 3 36" s5 ap2 at 2 different targets on the move.
3 TB with 2x SC in a Venom- 8 (12 stat.) 36" poisoned (4+) ap 5 shots + 12 36" poisoned (4+) ap 5 at 2 different targets on the move.

the Raider with DL gives versatility whereas Venoms are for maximizing damage. Raider with DC can work if your target is heavily armoured.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13 2013, 22:42

Shadows Revenge wrote:
its not a bad set up by far, but what makes the 5 man warrior blaster in venom so good is it being a troop choice as well. But if you fill out your troops, these make a decent addition to your army any day.
This by MILES.

What is better?
5 guys w. a Blaster in a Venom w. 2 S.Cannons
or
3 Guys w. 2 S.Cannins in a Raider w. FF or NS

Cost difference - 1 point.The Trueborn are pretty much markedly better...except that the Warriors are scoring. So, really, the point is to get a shooting unit that can score and be effective, and the best one for that tends to be Warriors w. Blasters in Raiders/Venoms. At that point you're buying up Elite slots to support whatever hose Troops are doing, and since the Troops tend to bring limited darklight, and teh maths tell us we need a fair amount of darklight to wreck vehicles, you tend to start taking Trueborn w. Blasters.

I love the S.Cannon Trueborn build in a Raider. I think it's a great build, versatile, has excellent range advantage, and favors the way Pain Tokens work as compared to Blasters in Venoms. The problem is - what Troop option am I pairing with it?

Wyches are good versus mech only in assault, and are otherwise anti-infantry.
Hellions are anti-infantry (minor assault usage versus mech)
Wracks are anti-infantry.
Warriors can be either anti-infantry or mech, but are far more affordable to make anti-mech while still being good.

Lacking a big win in the anti-mech via Troop slots, there is little value to working the S.Cannon Trueborn.

Maybe if 6th edition keeps dragging us away from mech and we see more foot armies, this will become a viable and valuable build (considering flyers...don't hold your breath). But, until then it remains suboptimal simply because it's not easily pairable with an optimal Troop option to support it considering what most other armies are fielding.

Edit: this made me remember and be sad again about the ability we used to have to field S.Cannons in 5 man Warrior units back in the day.

Back to top Go down
Sharpe
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13 2013, 22:59

Depends really, if you want to be more shooty then take the Warriors they are cheaper than Wyches. But if you lack assault troops then take Wyches with two Hydragauntlets and Haywire Grenades.
Back to top Go down
PainReaver
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14 2013, 01:55

I can see the TB with SC in a raider, if say you're full of AT. I already have like 20 darklight weapons in my 1500 list and in my 1850 list i would probably throw two extra troops to fill in the choices or have 2x TB/SC in a raider (w/TB 22 dark light weapons and 68 (76) SC shots, with 2 warrior units/venom 22 darklight weapons, 84 SC shots + 8-16 splinter rifle shots)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders   Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Splinter Cannon TB in Raiders
Page 1 of 1