THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.

Go down 
+12
Bibitybopitybacon
thejamppa
Brom
Cavash
autopilot
bklooste
Mushkilla
Count Adhemar
The_Burning_Eye
Black Death
Massaen
mug7703
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mug7703
Sybarite

Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  Empty
PostSubject: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 07:34

It seems they have a bunch of viable options. I particularly like the following three. What are peoples thoughts?

Load-out 1:
3 WWs with 2x Scatter Lazers each. The classic mass S6 setup for just over a couple of hundred big ones. Can kill infantry, hurt light armour.
- Rules question: Can a model with 2 SLs use one to twinlink the other?

Loud-out 2:
3 WWs with 1 SL and 1 other weapon. This will most likely be a lance. Same cost as before and now you have a twinlinked lance weapon for hitting tanks and also you have the option of shooting up infantry as well make these guys quite all rounders.

Loud-out 3:
3 WWs 1 SL and EML with flakk missiles. This gets costly at nearly 300 points for the lot but, you now have the ability to skyfire 3 TL shots, you can also shoot up infantry and damage tanks making these quite versatile. They'd become quite a high target priority though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 07:40

Mope. No TL for scatter lasers from laser lock... Re-read the entry

I like the scatter laser and star cannon combo myself

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 08:54

I agree with Massaen but also liked my scat laser/bright lance combo.

Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 09:27

I like the idea of the scatter laser/bright lance. My lance rolls with my ravager are awful (average one hit) so twin-linking is a great idea.

Not sure about option 3, it only becomes twin linked if you score a hit with the scatter laser, and while statistically speaking you should manage that, I'm sure we've all seen those overwatch rolls where no sixes come up for an entire squad rapid firing. That in itself isn't too much of an issue, but for nearly 300 pts it seems overly expensive.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 09:45

If I was attempting to add Skyfire to my army list I'd consider 2 EML's per Walker each with Flakk missiles and make damn sure I have a Farseer casting Guide on them. That does get very expensive though.

Personally I think I'm going for either the SL/BL combo or dual BL with Farseer support to add some much needed AT to my list.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 11:22

I think now that shuriken cannons have "rending" I think the default cheap and cheerful double shuriken cannon load out is quite nice. That being said it's hard to pass up on two extra shots, twinlinked and more importantly 36" range for 10pts.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
bklooste
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 16:55

2 lances

2 Scat laser

2 Star cannon are tempting ...

Back to top Go down
autopilot
Hellion
autopilot

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 20:21

Mushkilla wrote:
I think now that shuriken cannons have "rending" I think the default cheap and cheerful double shuriken cannon load out is quite nice. That being said it's hard to pass up on two extra shots, twinlinked and more importantly 36" range for 10pts.
I thought the same thing. And if you're worried about the 24" range, keep in mind that on your first turn you can Scout, then move 6", and can run + shoot because of battle focus. Easily have range.

I've opted for SL + SC on each of my warwalkers. Works well. I only lose 1 shot each compared to double SL, and the SC shots become twinlinked and can light-rend on a 6. Can threaten everything.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06 2013, 20:52

SL and BL, in my opinion. It will punch a whole in just about anything.

Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
bklooste
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 00:24

You have shurikens on everything .. I would try to get something different on them..
Back to top Go down
autopilot
Hellion
autopilot

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 00:53

bklooste wrote:
You have shurikens on everything .. I would try to get something different on them..
Thats a fair and valid point. If you're bringing eldar as your primary force, then it makes sense to put lances on them. As allies for DE, though (for example), that S6 comes in handy.
Back to top Go down
bklooste
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 04:09

I think as allies the Scatter Lasers work well as well .. 8 mostly twin linked shots / walker ... give some anti air especially vs AV10 ( 11 is ok , 12 forget it)

Loses the run / shoot though.. so its pretty even .. maybe take 2 SC and 1 Scatter Laser.
Back to top Go down
autopilot
Hellion
autopilot

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 04:20

bklooste wrote:
I think as allies the Scatter Lasers work well as well .. 8 mostly twin linked shots / walker ... give some anti air especially vs AV10 ( 11 is ok , 12 forget it)

Loses the run / shoot though.. so its pretty even .. maybe take 2 SC and 1 Scatter Laser.
You can't twinlink a scatter laser with the Laser Lock rule, only other weapons. So if you take all SL's, nothing is twinlinked (unless you Guide). Still good anti-air, though. Especially with Guide.

You always have Battle Focus, no matter what weapon you use.
Back to top Go down
bklooste
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 05:09

Your right the first ..scatter laser will not be twin linked .. It says .. other weapons not other types of weapons so the 2nd scatter laser will be..

Battle focus says Heavy can not use fire / run them unless relentless ( platforms are they arent) , which is also a downer for lances..

How does guide work with twin linked....
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 07:09

bklooste wrote:
Battle focus says Heavy can not use fire / run them unless relentless ( platforms are they arent) , which is also a downer for lances..

Walkers are relentless. So where is the problem?

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 07:52

bklooste wrote:
Your right the first ..scatter laser will not be twin linked .. It says .. other weapons not other types of weapons so the 2nd scatter laser will be..

Nope, re read laser lock... It speaks about 1 or more weapons with this rule all must fire first.

Guide does nothing to twin linked

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 08:47

And being able to outflank with, well let's just say that was juicy.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 14:19

Massaen wrote:
bklooste wrote:

Nope, re read laser lock... It speaks about 1 or more weapons with this rule all must fire first.

I did wording is

roll with this weapon first . If it hits all other weapons on the model are twin linked
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 15:49

bklooste wrote:
Massaen wrote:
bklooste wrote:

I did wording is

roll with this weapon first . If it hits all other weapons on the model are twin linked

No, that's not what the wording says. Massaen is quite correct and the wording is abundantly clear on the subject. In fact, it goes out of its way to be clear!

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 16:04

I agree with Massaen and Count Adhemar, it specifically notes that you roll to hit with weapon(s) with the laser lock rule first, so if you have two scatter lasers they must both be rolled together.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 16:09

It actually makes a pleasant change that GW seem to have looked at the rule and thought "People might wonder what happens if you have more than one scatter laser. We better make it clear" rather than FAQ it 6 months later.

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 16:11

Almost as good as FAQing something before the codex is released...

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 18:04

I think in the summary it says weapon singular, that's probably where bklooste is getting confused. That being said summaries often have mistakes in them.

Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07 2013, 19:09

Im considering war walkers myself, 2 with either 2 bright lances each or SL/BL for 140. Damn good multi purpose unit (defending the DS, ravagers etc) either way.

It dont think the twin linking thing is that clear though. When you roll crappy with the lances TL is welcome but often id just rather have more chances with lance shots. I know math hammer puts them similar (.87 hits difference) but dice are still dice and I need more long ranged AT for av12-13 most ATM.

Back to top Go down
bklooste
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09 2013, 08:05

Mushkilla wrote:
I think in the summary it says weapon singular, that's probably where bklooste is getting confused. That being said summaries often have mistakes in them.

Yes i just looked up the summary ....which contradicts it and hence the summary is wrong...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.    Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best load-out for Eldar War Walkers.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next