THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?

Go down 
+8
Gobsmakked
Xelkireth
Archon
Radium
Aroshamash
SinisterPlank
Local_Ork
Kinnay
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? Empty
PostSubject: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 08:43

Recently I've been wondering if it would be okay to represent some official weapons with others, without causing confusion or problems.
What I'm looking at are the following two items:

- Agonizers: I don't like those whips. I guess I'm kind of alone with it, but I really don't like them. I plan on using them for my Beastmasters or Harlequins instead. As Agonizers I wanted to use the weighted flails of the Wyches/Reavers, as I find the idea of Dark Eldar slashing at weak points in the enemy armor much more... Dark Eldar-y.

- Hellglaives: Again, I don't like the idea of Skyboard riders wielding these things. They seem to be so unwieldy, especially with one of the blades pointing at the wrong direction. The Hellglaives are going to be cut apart and used as back-trophies for champions and/or Incubus weapons, as beautifully demonstrated by a few of the users here in The Dark City. Instead, I'm going to use the spears and pikes of the Raider/Venom/Scourges, as I think a spear is a much more fitting weapon for units floating above the heads of their prey.

Would you let your oponent do this? Do you see any problems with it? Do you do something similar with your weapons? Let me read your opinion.

Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 10:32

I liked old Ago (bladed hand), and probably would make fer of those since thy fit my Kabal theme (Kabal of the Rending Talon).

Anyway as long as Your enemy would know what they are (explain before game) then you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
SinisterPlank
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 10:49

On the agoniser, I'll quote the codex. "though agonisers come in a variety of forms, the most common are whips or barbed flails". The most common, is the same as not all of them, right? So go crazy with your ideas!

The description of a hellglaive is very short. it's a two handed weapon that confers a +1 strenght. Not alot of restrictions there... give them anything that looks twohanded and mean. if I'm not mistaken, spears tend to have the two handed and +1 strenght rules on them, so that sounds perfect to me.
Personally, I love using the hellglaive weapons for my Wyches.

I love Count As, it lets my creativity flow and personalizse my models. That said, the most important aspect if the Count As when gaming is concerned, is that you clarify what counts as what to your opponent.
Back to top Go down
SinisterPlank
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 10:54

Edit, from rereading the OP. The barbed flails from the wych kits are, from what I get from the codex, as common as whips. Just powerweaponify them alittle. Scavange power supplies, and make a "Power Flail" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 11:15

Actually I especially liked the idea of them not being power-y. Just like in the description of Lelith, I think it is way cooler if Dark Eldar are able to expertly hit the exact weak points of armor. Imagine Agonizer wielders slashing their envenomed flails in arm and leg joints, throwing them into helmet visors, breaking them through the thinnest parts of the enemy armor. No need to cut through armor if you can cut inbetween it!

The most pleasent death is the one of a thousand cuts, rather of one heavy blunt smash.

Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 17:31

I'm currently trying to figure out how to model my Archons counts-as Clone Field/Grenade Launcher, the Darklight Corona. The idea behind it, background-wise, is that it's a device behind his head giving off small pulses of darklight, not enough to cause physical damage, but enough to scar the eyes of anyone looking at him.
Oh, he's also got a Husk-whip, because I don't like the look of the blade, but I like whips for my Archon.

Really though, the only rule is to make sure your opponent knows what's what, and that you try to distinguish between models armed with different weapons, yet modelled with the same weapon part. For example, make sure that your weighted flails counting as agonisers are distinguishable from weighted flails that don't have any special rules.

Lastly, regarding the hellglaives, the "backwards" blade is so the Hellion can swing it one-handed from a standard position, and still lop off limbs. Basically, imagine them in the pose of the model holding the hellglaive behind its back in a two-handed grip. Now, as it swoops past, it lets go with one hand, swinging it around, and catching an enemy on the reverse-facing blade, bringing the blade back into a normal grip, with the forward-facing blade in position to be swung normally.
It's also so that it's far more likely that whatever angle the Hellion is holding his blade at in his hands, he'll have a blade facing the enemy, rather than having both facing outwards. This way, it allows them to follow through with swipes, and hit with another blade, rather than the back end of one.
They're actually fairly well-designed, from my non-expert opinion, once you start to think about how they'd be used. They aren't for standing duels and rapid exhanges of blocks and parries, but rather quick, sweeping strikes at a moments notice, with considerable reach if needed, with hooks to "slingshot" the Hellion around poles or branches.

Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 21:54

As long as it's obvious what's what you're good to go. Just remember not to use the awesome flails on regular wyches Razz.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 17:25

I wouldn't have any problems if I was your opponent, Kinnay. You are well within the descriptions of the weapons as provided by the codex and WYSIWYG rules. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 01:31

As long as they're clear in what they are and your conversions are consistent, I don't see what the problem would be. You'd need to clear all conversions with a TO if you wanted to play competitively.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 08:03

Your ideas sound just fine, not too far out of the norm to worry about.

But I would always allow a well-done conversion to get fielded, anyway, regardless of what it was supposed to be. If you put the effort into it, then fine.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 17:33

Thanks for the many replies, guys. I'll do my best and go for it. Smile

So, weighted flails as Agonisers, hence no weighted flails for normal troops, so that no confusion arises, and spears as Hellglaives.

Gonna be fun to convert, stay tuned for my project log. Wink
Thanks for the motivation!

Plague
Kabalite Warrior
Plague

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 10:08

I really like the idea of using a razorflail to represent an agonizer. I might have to add a power source to one and incorporate that into my army.

Nightmare Doll on the Loose
Grumpy Kwi

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 17:39

I think using a different weapon is fine, opponents do not know what an agoniser looks like anyway.

As long as the weapon you choose looks like it's powered (by painting it as glowing or uniquely) you should be more than fine. This would prevent the whole "shell game" when the squad is in combat.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Vanq
Hellion
Vanq

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01 2011, 01:29

All my agonizers are swords for the Wyches, and Flails for my characters. I just love the idea and look of the flails. Painted blue to stand out, and not used anywhere else.

I don't see a problem with it, and I don't swap the load outs around so no cause for confusion Very Happy

Slave
Allidor

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27 2011, 15:14

At my LGS, people tend to encourage conversions, and as long as you have a good, legible list there's never really a problem. Of course we don't enforce WYSIWYG at all, so you may want to check with your local gaming crew first.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles
High Elves 2000 pts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?   Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Representing some weapons in other ways. Okay or not?
Page 1 of 1