THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

What's in a channel?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kung Fu Hamster
Hellion
Kung Fu Hamster

What's in a channel? Empty
PostSubject: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27 2013, 04:59

I've recently decided to start a YouTube channel for my plasticrack addiction, mostly as an easier and better way to share my love of 40K and Fantasy (YES I DO SOME SQUARE BASING AS WELL GET OVER IT Smile), and since it's still in its infancy, I decided to ask around and see what people like seeing most in 40K channels. Painting tutorials/walkthroughs? Tactica discussions? Battle reports? What gets you interested in someone's work and keeps you from clicking on yet another video of someone doing something stupid and potentially painful?

If possible, I'd like some examples of particular video formats as well. For example, I'm thinking about doing some battle reports. Should I emulate MiniWarGaming's typical style of narration over the events, or MWG Dave's Banter Batreps with the joking and running commentary, or something closer to SkaredCast's batreps, focusing on end of turn summaries?

Any additional advice or commentary would be most helpful. The link to my channel is currently in my sig.

P.S. The video quality will be improving drastically in a short time when I can replace the SD card for my camcorder and can stop using my iPhone for recording.

Jack Frost
Kabalite Warrior
Jack Frost

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05 2013, 08:57

I hope you do well on this venture. That's about all I can say.
Maybe add some theatrical music blurbs in-between turns...?

-Jack-

Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05 2013, 09:21

The theatrical music sounds great (as an idea)!
Mostly I like watching batreps, but tactics discussion and occasionally painting walkthroughs are fine for me too
Anyway. I mostly like in all batreps that there would be a clear explanation on whats going on. It would also be helpful if there is some kind of map of the battlefield, not just a sight from one or two side views of the board.
Funny comments and narrating is ok for me, since I usually miss the jokes anyway Razz
Then one special request from me would be subtitles, because it is difficult for me to understand so professional and native english I often hear Embarassed

THE CULT OF THE BURNING LEAF

THE COVEN OF THE HOLLOWED
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07 2013, 07:47

I agree with mungwa, and can be hard to hear on batreps sometimes ( or many other things) so I wouldn't mind some subtitles as well
Back to top Go down
Omnicide
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02 2013, 10:26

I think as long as it is well thought out and done to a high standard of quality it will get you views... for example, while not 40k related in the slightest, this is a link to a guy who does videos explaining different character builds for guild wars 2, specifically for the necromancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QwiTyE5vqw

He has a whole bunch of videos like this, if he can get 7k+ subscribers JUST talking about character setups for a single character class I imagine 40k stuff can get far more.

The thing that makes him so popular is he explains everything in such a way that even people with no experience with the game can understand what hes talking about even with a somewhat heavy accent.

Assuming you have the money I suggest straight up plagiarism ;)do the same thign he does in that video for a specific army list, then do it again next week for a totally different army list etc.

Whether these ideas interest you or not another major point is to use the right descriptions, imagine a web page like this: https://www.youtube.com/user/esltv/videos

Now make sure everytime you put up a video the user knows exactly what they will see if they click one of your links ex "Guide: DE VenomSpam [1500]" or "Batrep DE vs GK" or whatever information is important to the wargame crowd, tournament or casual, point values, list type

Please do not use chat/leet speak. Cheers - Cavash.
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02 2013, 12:44

Omnicide wrote:
I think as long as it is well thought out and done to a high standard of quality it will get u views... for example, while not 40k related in the slightest, this is a link to a guy who does videos explaining different character builds for guild wars 2, specifically for the necromancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QwiTyE5vqw

He has a whole bunch of videos like this, if he can get 7k+ subscribers JUST talking about character setups for a single character class I imagine 40k stuff can get far more.
I would pressume that this video-game would be probably more popular than 40k, so not sure if 7000 subscribers is very realistic number, but we can always hope!

Omnicide wrote:
Now make sure everytime u put up a video the user knows exactly what they will see if they click one of ur links ex "Guide: DE VenomSpam [1500]" or "Batrep DE vs GK" or whatever information is important to the wargame crowd, tournament or casual, point values, list type
On that, I would like to add that not everyone knows/remembers all the acronyms, so I would prefer putting up "Batrep Dark Eldar vs Grey Knights" rather. Versus is common enough, you can keep that 'vs'!

After watching some of that video, I must say it is rather impressive, even though "the most complex guide ever" doesnt really feel inviting. Very Happy

THE CULT OF THE BURNING LEAF

THE COVEN OF THE HOLLOWED
Back to top Go down
Omnicide
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03 2013, 01:09

LOL good points Very Happy

Yeah he goes very in depth with the guides, think he should rename them so its more clear that the complexity comes from trying to explain everything to new characters

You are also probably right about the popularity, I just thought 40k has the tabletop players, the fluff lovers, and people who are curious from the videogames. and compared that to presumably only people who play necromancers from guild wars 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's in a channel?   What's in a channel? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's in a channel?
Page 1 of 1