THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Flatout = Dead Passengers?

Go down 
+2
Massaen
GreySeerZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GreySeerZ
Hellion
GreySeerZ

Flatout = Dead Passengers? Empty
PostSubject: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06 2011, 15:15

Hey Dark Citians!

I have a quick question. Recently I played a game against our goody-two-shoes cousins (Eldar). His wave serpent, containing Eldrad and crew, moved flat-out accross the board in one of the final turns. I then proceeded to explode said transport (I also had it surrounded). Besides this fact someone assured me that when moving flat-out, any result of wrecked/exploded automatically kills any passengers riding inside as well (As explained in the rule book FAQ or somewhere like that).

Now obviously, being a DE player, flat-outing my venoms/raiders is a constant tactic for me. Originally I had played that when wrecked/exploded my troops simply took a Str 3 hit like normal, and deployed where it was toasted. Is this correct?

Thanks!
-Z
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06 2011, 15:40

Correct.

Only if you wreck YOURSELF when moving flat out are the passengers slain as well.

The FAQ refers to turn and the same FAQ clarifies this is player turn unless specified as game turn.

So just don't fly into terrain when flat out!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!
Kabalite Warrior
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 04:53

Massaen wrote:
Only if you wreck YOURSELF when moving flat out are the passengers slain as well.
Do we have any reason from the game designers as to why? It seems odd to have GW clarify such a specific thing.

Hellion
theblackjackal

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 07:34

Maybe it's assumed that a vehicle moving flat out slows down to a stop at the end of the movement phase?

Of course, this could also be explained as GW logic (just when you thought it made sense...).

https://sites.google.com/site/frontier2170
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 13:43

I think this was FAQed to discourage deliberately destroying own vehicles to let your troops disembark.

Fluffwise this could be explained by a pilot, who can evade or slow down, when shot at, but who can't do so, when deliberately driving or flying through rough Terrain or ramming another vehicle at full speed.

GreySeerZ
Hellion
GreySeerZ

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 14:53

Tiri Rana wrote:
I think this was FAQed to discourage deliberately destroying own vehicles to let your troops disembark.

Fluffwise this could be explained by a pilot, who can evade or slow down, when shot at, but who can't do so, when deliberately driving or flying through rough Terrain or ramming another vehicle at full speed.

I know failing difficult terrain while moving flat out causes unit death. This kind of makes sense, as moving flat out through canyons is a risky tactic, and there should be some penalty for trying something risky. Getting blown up by opponents guns isn't risky, its just bad luck on your part, haha. Plus, if it was during opponent shooting as well, skimmer armies would be a lot less competitive.

Right. I kind of get it. Its like, moving flat out gives you a benefit, but at a risk. So wait, lets say I had a unit in a raider that tank shocks another unit, moving flat out, and they decide to use death and glory, and end up wrecking/exploding my raider. Does the unit then die?
Back to top Go down
Venkh
Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 15:31

yes.

Because it happened in your turn

Similarly if your vehicle was destroyed by a mine you would lose the squad as well.

why? because 'turn' always means 'player turn'
Back to top Go down
GreySeerZ
Hellion
GreySeerZ

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 15:32

Venkh wrote:
yes.

Because it happened in your turn

Similarly if your vehicle was destroyed by a mine you would lose the squad as well.

why? because 'turn' always means 'player turn'

Ah, ok, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 17:47

its to stop you flying your raider, laden with incubi 24", ramming an enemy so as to force an emergency disembark when your paper plane explodes and then being able to fleet and assault...

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2011, 21:06

The problem is, that troops in a destroyed vehicle precisely not perform an emergency disembarkation. If they did, there was no problem, because the unit could do nothing the reminder of the turn, but if a vehicle is wrecked, the unit disembarks normally and if the vehicle explodes, they are merely placed.
But your point is true, if this hadn't been FAQed it would be possible to intentionally wreck your own vehicle to circumvent the speed restrictions that apply to normal disembarking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatout = Dead Passengers?   Flatout = Dead Passengers? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flatout = Dead Passengers?
Page 1 of 1