THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Arterial Arc

Go down 
+7
Count Adhemar
Giladis
Cavalier
facelessabsalom
Cavash
Lord_Alino
Flint13
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Flint13
Slave
Flint13

Kabal of the Arterial Arc Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25 2013, 12:51

Good Morning Dark City!

I've been on here for a few weeks now, mostly checking out the modeling and painting going on (I'm not much of a gamer of late) and I finally have decided to sit down and start a lil plog of my own. I'll admit to being caught by the allure of the +3 armor save for quite awhile but I've decided to go with something completely different, both as a color scheme and an army. Hopefully this will get my "hobby batteries" recharged and I'll have plenty of fun updates for you folks to yell helpful things at in the coming months.

Anywho, my idea for a dark eldar kabal has been awhile in the making. My local "meta" is pretty highly geared towards loyalist power armor, especially with the release of the new SM codex not long past. So I wanted something both fun and attractive to paint, as well as something completely different on the table on the rare occasions I do haul them out to play a game. I love some midnight blue, don't get me wrong, but I wanted a complete visual overhaul for my next army. I wanted something that could show some dirt, blood and weathering. I also wanted something that wouldn't take me an age to paint on each individual. The days of eight hours on a single Nightlord are, hopefully, behind me.

I'll get into my Kabal's little fluff bits after awhile, but for now, enough jibbajabba! Here's a test shot of my color scheme for perusal and helpful review.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9130021_zpsbf14560c

and the flirty side.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9130022_zps255db915

We also have another squaddie:

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9200024_zpsb36c0b3f

The Banner(wo)man for the Sybarite:

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9200023_zpsbc0abd9b

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9200026_zps0d11e70a

A monstrous creature killer cannon:

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9220033_zpsa86e997a

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9220032_zps5758ad72

And the Squad Leader:

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9220034_zps1d4440d8

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9220035_zps1bd05feb

And her close up for whatever passes as Vogue Magazine in Commorragh:

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9220038_zpsf19af99a

And a group shot of the gang so far!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc P9220023_zps37a53b1f

Feel free to yell helpful stuff in abundance.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06 2013, 23:00

I like the colours, maybe paint the bases? I enjoy my bases being painted. and yours look like they would be desert or snow ones.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2013, 00:07

Very nice colour scheme. i have similar colours for my Trueborn killteam.

How did you paint such lovely loincloths? That blue is exquisite !

Welcome to Commorragh!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2013, 00:59

Loving the bone armour, nice job!

Cult of Bladed Violet & Kabal of Violet Storm - DE army

The Ovatan Dynasty - Necron army
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2013, 01:33

Love it. There is something really sinister about Dark Eldar painted in pale color schemes. The blue and purple accents really work well too. Nice work looking forward to seeing more...

Slave
Giladis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2013, 09:14

They look great.

You coul, maybe spend just a little bit more time in model preparation to remove all the molding lines, since those have a tendency do bring models down.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2013, 09:21

Giladis wrote:
They look great.

You coul, maybe spend just a little bit more time in model preparation to remove all the molding lines, since those have a tendency do bring models down.

Cheers
I sometimes find they hide from me. I painted up some Dire Avengers recently and gave them the once over when I was prepping them. Didn't see any mould lines at all. When it came to actually painting them I suddenly saw them everywhere and thought "How the hell did I miss those?". Shocked 

Flint13
Slave
Flint13

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11 2013, 14:48

Wow, thanks guys! I tend to jump back and forth between these guys and my Nightlords, but I'll try to keep the updates coming. So far I've got these first five based (black gravel and dirty snow, so good call, Lord_Alino!) and the next six started.

As a general guideline, where are a few prominent mold lines? I'm kinda new to dark eldar models, so I'm having trouble picking them out at first (or second or third...) glance.

@Cavash: Double thanks! The cloth is pretty simple. Kantor blue, followed by watered down altdorf guard blue on everything but the crevices, then *really* watered down ice blue (oldschool!) in slim lines on the raised surfaces.

Wash it purple with drucii violet and done! Its the same thing I use to do the eye lenses and banners.

Last edited by Flint13 on Mon Nov 11 2013, 14:52; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Cause I'm bad at seplling.)
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12 2013, 09:05

These look great! I'm a big fan of the lighter colors on Dark Eldar. I think it actually makes the models look more sinister. I can't wait to see what you do with some vehicles. It took me forever to base my models, but even a simple base actually made them look a lot better. I still struggle with mold lines. I always feel confident that I got them all till I start painting and then I realize how bad I did at fixing them.

Excellent work!

Slave
Flint13

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12 2013, 23:31

Evening guys!

@ Trystis - Thanks! I just spent a half hour checking out your awesome bone colored dark eldar. At first, I thought that such a similar color as yellow would look a bit bland against bone, but you managed to make it look pretty darn awesome.

Bit of an update for you all. Finished up an whole squad, including basing, and starting work on their transport. Also started building my lady archon. Let me know what you think!

Whole Squad!
Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120011_zps9373341d

A little closer

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120013_zps37861d6d

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120014_zps16583f34

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120015_zps14952b71

The Sybarite takes picturesque command! (I kinda just like this model ^_^ )

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120016_zpsc091b000

A couple of the new guys.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120017_zps437d101d

I'm really happy with how this topknot turned out.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120018_zps5a4b26f7

And lastly, the Archon of the Kabal of the Arterial Arc. Still thinking of an awesome name for her. Suggestions are certainly welcome.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120019_zpsee842e3d

Normally outfitted with the dueling kit (shadow field, husk blade, soul trap, combat drugs) I've had some pretty impressive results with her so far. Along with her Haemy and Grot command squad, she has soul trapped a Wraithknight when she rolled a lucky +1 strength for her combat drugs. With something that cool, I had to build her a better model! Still very WiP-tastic, but getting there.

Here are a couple different angles:

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120021_zps7d9247f2

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120022_zpsf3478481

And a close up. I was torn on the choice of head for quite some time. I was this (---) close to just using one of those flat mask wych heads that seem to be so popular, but went with this one last second. I love the lack of emotion besides a light sneer. Very dark eldary ^_^

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA120012_zps2f0a5eda

Thanks for all the positive comments so far! Please feel free to make with some constructive criticism as well. It's the only way I'll ever get better.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13 2013, 01:25

HEY! I LIKE MY FLAT MASK ARCHON HEAD!
Atleast it's a life support system.

as for the archoness, I would name her Sylamydal, Lady Sylamydal, Archon of the Kabal of the Arterial Arc.
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21 2013, 19:08

these guys are looking really cool, the bases add so much to them as well.
The only criticism I'd give is that the cloth on the legs and arms could be distinguished from the armour more (such as washing them down or highlighting them further) but other than that I really like the scheme.

Flint13
Slave
Flint13

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 16:14

@Lord_Alino - I know what you mean, but I'm trying to save all the blank mask faces for a squad of plastic incubi in the works ^_^

@Nullus - Thanks! As for the cloth, are we talking about the loin cloths and tassels or the "body suit" deal underneath the armor?

For today, no painting I'm afraid. I'm such a painting procrastinator! But, I *do* have a second HQ completed and ready for primer.

Meet my new liquifier haemy!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA220012_zps815d8c09

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA220011_zpsb72bc3a5

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA220010_zpscc24080c

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA220009_zpseec8051e

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA220008_zps7f9e37d9

Hopefully that's enough good angle shots to give a decent idea of where she's at. I was shooting for a "fallen angel" sort of look, especially with the vestigial "wings" created by the mini talos arms. Hmm... she could probably use a little greenstuffing around the midsection to blend her upper and lower halves a bit better. And I'm just now realizing how she's looking a bit... ummm... top heavy? Embarassed 

But, as you can see, she's still a WiP, so feel free to let loose with a few constructive suggestions!
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 21:35

The body suit under the armour is the bit I mean Smile
The heam looks really nice.
Cool idea for the conversion and I think you got the fallen angel look Smile My suggestion would be to add a little to the top of the spine as the back "growth" thing seem a little flat to me but that could just be the angles and personal preference. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Flint13
Slave
Flint13

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 21:38

Oh, good point. Her "backpack" does seem to stop a little prematurely there at the top of the spine doesn't it?

Thanks Null! I'll get on it and see what I come up with.
Back to top Go down
the_dukes_scion
Hellion
the_dukes_scion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 09:29

i wouldn't worry about the chest too much. these guys are master body modifiers so hey, a bit of vanity perhaps...

i like all the vestigial arms too, and the liquifier suits too. nice one.

Slave
Flint13

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 16:59

@Dukes_Scion - Thanks! That's a good point... plus a reinforced spine and everything cuts down on back pain, I'm sure Rolling Eyes 

Morning Folks!

Alright, hopefully this will be the last paint-less update for awhile. I've got a bit of free time today, so hopefully that means painting will happen.

So... Catty cheer-leader logic: "If one uggo friend makes me look better by comparison, four should make me Vogue cover material!" Razz 

In that mindset, here are three of my four WiP grotesque bodyguards for my Lady Archon.

Scissorhand!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA230013_zps696d3034

Liquifier!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA230014_zpsb61b0c68

Chainflail!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA230015_zps7578aa00

And the gross, from behind shots!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA230017_zps31baaf93

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA230018_zps9cc5d3fc

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA230019_zps30d7c9a9

Let loose with some helpful suggestions! Not my first green-stuff attempt, but I'm still learning the basics.

Back to top Go down
Flint13
Slave
Flint13

PostSubject: First Vehicle!   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 19:27

Hi again folks!
I'm a little pleased with myself, that I managed to stick to my word and keep the preceding post as my last "paintless" entry for awhile. I've currently got a second squad of kabalites, my archon and her haemy bodyguard primered and ready to lay down color on. I've also finished up converting those grotesques from above, and even gotten started building a coven themed raider to make sure my command squad stays punctual for various face slicing and world massacring appointments. In the meantime, however, my first dark eldar vehicle!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA260014_zpsf4fc0b5b

First time trying my bone technique on a large surface. Also first time trying my mirrored canopy idea.

I am still a bit shaky at highlighting vehicles, but I'm happy with how he turned out.

I know I've seen it a lot, so thanks to everyone who pioneered the underslung double splinter cannon before I got around to doing it!

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA260016_zps1868da34

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA260013_zps115c3789

Also tried my hand at a little dark eldar runic freehand. Came out more like an advertisement for a flower shop, but hey, I think it looks kinda cool.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA260018_zps19e5614b

And lastly a shot from behind.

Kabal of the Arterial Arc PA260017_zps5909e7e7

Let me know what everyone thinks, and anything I can do to start improving the technique.
Back to top Go down
xdiehard1x
Slave
xdiehard1x

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 21:16

I think that this looks amazing, and I love the boney style!

- xdiehard1x

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Arterial Arc   Kabal of the Arterial Arc I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Arterial Arc
Page 1 of 1