THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

My Homebrew codex

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Humnhapymeal
Hellion
Humnhapymeal

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17 2013, 22:43

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>
I will keep the updated file here as well
Codex Version 1.3

Last edited by Humnhapymeal on Fri Feb 21 2014, 10:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Humnhapymeal
Hellion
Humnhapymeal

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02 2013, 00:28

Ok Version 1.1 is out with more balancing and less over power

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8t97nermiognmq/Dark%20eldar%20code%20V1.pdf

Hekatrix
The Red King

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02 2013, 08:15

Decided to move our discussion here in case we were getting "off topic" on the other post.

My version 1.1 critique is:

Swift blade: I failed to notice in the first edition, but this rule will need to state that they can disembark from a vehicle that has made a full move before it can ever allow them to assault out of it. In fact, saying just disembark instead of assault would have the same impact, since all the rules for our open-topped vehicles allow for assaults anyways. It's only disembark rules preventing it.

Wyches: Poison stash covers the poison aspect, daggers can be left as simply CCW for simplicity's sake. Also shouldn't the hekatrix sergeant have access to a stinger pistol just like the sybarite?

Bloodbrides: Maybe too many attacks, I'll know after some play testing. Otherwise same as wyches.

Haemonculus: Lord of the cult should be lords of the coven or lords of flesh.

Mandrakes: On skilled hunter, perhaps it should be d3 str...etc. per model, and then they don't attack (since they have already possibly generated more attacks then they would have normally (but possibly less if you roll poorly) as well as avoiding overwatch (I assume it ignores overwatch. should state either way).

Scourges: Also not gang units :/ you just love you some gangs huh lol

General observation: Maybe you should remove gang and just grant "fair fight" and "skyborne" to applicable units. Also, total grammar natzi, but you missed a few cases of "pulse cannon" might confuse anyone who hadn't read the original.

Baron: What kind of power weapon? A lance is probably the closest in appearance?

Voidraven: May need to up the cost on the implosion missiles. I mean it is a "remove from play item".

Ravager: Darklight lashback could be changed to darklight resonance or darklight flux perhaps, since you were looking for other names. oh now I see, storm is good too.

Webway portal: Should that be "ongoing" reserves? I think that's not too un-balanced.

Obsidian pillar: Might not be too op to make that basically a power fist and give it 2x str.

Liq gun: Both say assault 2. Are they no longer templates? and if they are torrent may be too strong on the heavy. It's 1 str shy of being the helldrake's baleflamer except with a 2 in 3 chance of instagibbing termies too. Might have to lose torrent at least, maybe drop to str5 either way.

Okay, rant over. I hope you don't get tired of my grammatical and name/fluff related critiques. Just playing spell check to your sleep deprived mind lol

Hellion
Humnhapymeal

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02 2013, 19:55

The Red King wrote:
Decided to move our discussion here in case we were getting "off topic" on the other post.

My version 1.1 critique is:

Swift blade: I failed to notice in the first edition, but this rule will need to state that they can disembark from a vehicle that has made a full move before it can ever allow them to assault out of it. In fact, saying just disembark instead of assault would have the same impact, since all the rules for our open-topped vehicles allow for assaults anyways. It's only disembark rules preventing it.

Wyches: Poison stash covers the poison aspect, daggers can be left as simply CCW for simplicity's sake. Also shouldn't the hekatrix sergeant have access to a stinger pistol just like the sybarite?

Bloodbrides: Maybe too many attacks, I'll know after some play testing. Otherwise same as wyches.

Haemonculus: Lord of the cult should be lords of the coven or lords of flesh.

Mandrakes: On skilled hunter, perhaps it should be d3 str...etc. per model, and then they don't attack (since they have already possibly generated more attacks then they would have normally (but possibly less if you roll poorly) as well as avoiding overwatch (I assume it ignores overwatch. should state either way).

Scourges: Also not gang units :/ you just love you some gangs huh lol

General observation: Maybe you should remove gang and just grant "fair fight" and "skyborne" to applicable units. Also, total grammar natzi, but you missed a few cases of "pulse cannon" might confuse anyone who hadn't read the original.

Baron: What kind of power weapon? A lance is probably the closest in appearance?

Voidraven: May need to up the cost on the implosion missiles. I mean it is a "remove from play item".

Ravager: Darklight lashback could be changed to darklight resonance or darklight flux perhaps, since you were looking for other names. oh now I see, storm is good too.

Webway portal: Should that be "ongoing" reserves? I think that's not too un-balanced.

Obsidian pillar: Might not be too op to make that basically a power fist and give it 2x str.

Liq gun: Both say assault 2. Are they no longer templates? and if they are torrent may be too strong on the heavy. It's 1 str shy of being the helldrake's baleflamer except with a 2 in 3 chance of instagibbing termies too. Might have to lose torrent at least, maybe drop to str5 either way.

Okay, rant over. I hope you don't get tired of my grammatical and name/fluff related critiques. Just playing spell check to your sleep deprived mind lol
Swift blade: now reads

Swift blade - Unit, entirely composed of models with this special rule, May Disembark as normal out of a vehicle that has moved at cruising speed

Wyches: have be clarified as having CCW and poison stash. Do let me know if this unit is to powerful i have a hunch the poison was enough to take it to a good unit but extra attacks are probably a bit much.

Heamonculi: I honestly will correct all the names next run through

Mandrakes: Added your suggestion, it was a great idea... allthough i will play test them both ways and see what i like better. Also i updated travel by shadows special rule

Gang units have been merged with the wych coven along with their special rules

Baron: defined his power weapon as being

Hellglaive of the Banished: Is a Unique power weapon with Strength: +2 AP: 3 master crafted.

Voidraven: fixed

Webway portal: fixed

Obsidian pillar: updated to x2 strength

Liq gun: semi fixed

And i also added a warlord trait table

also i do appreciate your help and i don't even mind you being a grammar and fluff nazi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8t97nermiognmq/Dark%20eldar%20code%20V1.pdf

here is 1.2

4a. Please refrain from double posting. You may "bump" a post every 48hrs if you feel you are not getting responses. Double posts in project logs are acceptable. /Your friendly mod SS
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03 2013, 03:44

I'll give it a read after work and try and get a game in with it tomorrow night. I think we've moved past ant obvious imbalance to things that will only come out in games so the critique may slower in coming this time.

I wish there w a larger audience taking interest in all the hard work you're doing here.

Kabalite Warrior

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03 2013, 07:29

i look forward to trying this fandex with my friends, though idk what they will say, i have won practically all of my games vs various armys, to the point that i almost don't want an update(as all 6th edition army's get stronger) so they cannot complain when i play them, this has already happened with my grey knights, which ironically he did not complain about the grey knights themselves, but rather, my inquisitorial artillery squads that i was using, that with a few dredknights, there was little that could stop them, they even gave TAU a run for their money when he got the new dex(all is beside the point however, i do not begrudge them, we try not to abuse OP things, it was simply something that i had thought to be cool, as i had never heard of an inquisitor and his retinues doing so much damage from so far)

hope you did't beef them up too much, i have been using a wych cult army; afik, one of the weaker configurations, but they do complain about my splinter born, that being 3 true-born w 2x splinter cannons in venom with extra splinter cannon w night shields, it cost a mere 131 pts, but it has killed so much Smile
Back to top Go down
Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20 2014, 20:22

If you don't mind a little critique, I still think that you're loading units with too many special rules. You can simplify it without losing anything. For example, 'Swift Blade' lets the unit disembark after cruising speed, and 'High Speed Training' lets them shoot at full BS after cruising speed. You can fold them both together and make it a rule of the vehicle instead of the unit: 'Units embarked on the vehicle may disembark and/or shoot at full BS after cruising speed'. That's one less special rule on units and it also adds more flexibility. Why shouldn't wyches shoot at full BS or kabalites be free to disembark if they want to?

Then you notice that there is already a special rule for vehicles that is very similar. Aerial Assault lets Ravagers fire all their weapons at full BS after cruising speed. Why not fold all three together and just give Aerial Assault to Raiders and Venoms?

You could also eliminate 'Poison Stash' and just add 'Wargear: Wych Knife (close combat weapon, poisoned (4+)' to the wyches entry. Or eliminate 'Storm of Flesh' and add Wargear: Hyper-Stimulants to the standard Haemounculus. (And add a Wargear section in which the effect of hyper-stimulants is explained.) It just seems neater.

Point Two: The way you've phrased the Mandrakes' 'Travel Through Shadows', it reads as if the mandrakes may move normally toward the nearest unoccupied terrain. They could do that anyway! Also, if I read 'Skilled Hunter' correctly, all your opponent has to do is never move within 6" of the marker, and the mandrakes will never turn up? And Kheradruakh... even with 14 special rules on him, he still looks pretty bad, sorry.

Point Three: Darklight Storm, why overcomplicate it? Just make it Str D and be done with it. Str 10 AP 1 is so 2013.

I'm still not sure about wyches. I do want them to kick arse, but poisoned attacks, invulnerable saves, haywire grenades, improved charge range, all at 12 points each? If I were a Howling Banshee I would be, well, howling.

I hope you don't mind, but you did put it up for critique Smile
Back to top Go down
MFive
Kabalite Warrior

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20 2014, 21:09

@ Agatha
I agree that for 12 points, the mobility buff and the extra poison is much, but adding a "poisoned blades" upgrade would be great, an extra point or two per model would balance them out imo

then we have 14 points for a wych who has the following extra buffs over normal
5++ when not in CC
4+ poison in CC
Haywire nades
may disembark from a transport moving at 12"
i seem to remember something about running and assaulting
again, memory somewhat fogy, but did't he give to effects on the drug roll?

seems great to me, even if the last two are wrong
Back to top Go down
Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20 2014, 22:56

This is weird. Someone is offering suggestions to make wyches more powerful and I'm arguing that they should tone it down? I need to check my door, it's possible that I woke up today in the wrong house.
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21 2014, 02:05

Barking Agatha wrote:
This is weird. Someone is offering suggestions to make wyches more powerful and I'm arguing that they should tone it down? I need to check my door, it's possible that I woke up today in the wrong house.

All the ROFLs are belong to you good lady.
Back to top Go down
Humnhapymeal
Hellion
Humnhapymeal

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21 2014, 10:51

@ barking agatha i thank you for the critique and hope for alot more i am currently starting to comb through the codex and consolidate alot of special rules. i will make a final decision on wyches soon i think everybody has their own solution to fix that unit but i think i will increase the point cost and compact their special rules

i largely left the mandrakes alone besides the permanent 4++ and allowing them to assault at anytime i dont think that they are a bad unit i just think that they have a age problem they needed to have a refresher.

and i will look into the decapitator he does need a boost i might make him rival a greater demon and jack his cost up and give him a major flaw

Ok so i changed alot over the past week so here you go here is version 1.3
Codex version 1.3

4a. Please refrain from double posting. You may "bump" a post every 48hrs if you feel you are not getting responses. Double posts in project logs are acceptable. /Your friendly mod SS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Homebrew codex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Homebrew codex   My Homebrew codex I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Homebrew codex
Page 1 of 1