THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Making the most of Stronghold Assault

Go down 
+10
Balisong
Bugs_N_Orks
Crazy_Irish
Mandor
Azdrubael
Expletive Deleted
Unholyllama
Pherean
Count Adhemar
Sky Serpent
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dirtydeeds
Hellion

Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 20:26

Ha, totally buying the book today.
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 20:33

Dirtydeeds wrote:
I'll have to try tgat escape hatc idea... I don't think my local meta is aware of this funcation.  Does the hatch need to be placed in your deployment zone?

The book doesn't give any restrictions on the escape hatch...just within 12" of the building it's purchased for.

I emailed GW FAQ hoping for an answer on if the escape hatch is a 1-way exit or if you or the enemy can enter using it.  If you can enter using it as well, it may be better to keep the bunker right at the edge of your table half and then use the hatch (in your deployment zone) to enter the building - making the unit protected for your opponent's next turn - and then exit using the building's normal access points on turn 2 which would allow you to assault still. :-D

EDIT: after re-reading the rules (quoted below) the escape hatch isn't placed until after the building is first occupied and not first claimed so you would have to get a unit into the building first to get the escape hatch to materialize and then move troops up using it. So not really feasible and takes too much prep work to make it happen.

Last edited by Unholyllama on Tue Dec 10 2013, 21:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dirtydeeds
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 20:42

Are you sure we can assault out of it though?
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 21:06

Dirtydeeds wrote:
Are you sure we can assault out of it though?

I have a couple of questions on this manner outstanding.

All buildings in Stronghold Assault (that can be occupied anyways) have the Repel the Enemy special rule that allow you to disembark your normal 6" in the movement phase and still charge in the Assault phase.

The escape hatch upgrade for buildings allow the first player who claims the building to place a new Access Point within 12" of the building (provided it's not in another building, impassible terrain, etc.). Models using this access point cannot use the Repel the Enemy special rule.

To Quote it precisely (sorry if I break the rules here):
Quote :
When this building is first occupied, the owning player can place an escape hatch marker anywhere within 12" of the building that is not impassable terrain or within another building. The escape hatch marker is an additional Access Point for the building, but models using it cannot use the Repel the Enemy special rule.

The questions I have is
1. Is the escape hatch access point 2-way or just an exit only? (RAW I interpret it as 2-way since it's another access point.)

2. Does adding an Escape Hatch remove Repel the Enemy special rule for the entire buliding's access points or just the access point created by the escape hatch? (My interpretation is just for this new access point and not the original ones on the building).

3. How big is the marker?

So my idea of deploying the building at the table 1/2 edge and then using the escape hatch was incorrect since it's when it's first occupied and not first claimed (since purchased fortifications are claimed by default). Regardless, knowing if it truly is 2-way is going to be worthwhile since we don't want to put an escape hatch 12" forward and end up giving the opponent an easy way of entering or assaulting the unit in the building.
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite
clively

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 23:56

I'd say:
1. RAW, it's two way.  A normal AP is by definition a two way and they didn't provide any limiting language.

2. No, it's only the AP that doesn't get Repel the enemy.  Seems pretty clear.  " but models using it cannot use the Repel the Enemy special rule."

3. The bastion kits have always included an access point in the box.  It's *roughly* 2.5" x 1.5" if I remember correctly.  We just didn't have rules for those bits until now.
Back to top Go down
Dirtydeeds
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11 2013, 20:00

Now my queston 8s if an enemy unit can block off the escape hatch by covering it with models.
Back to top Go down
Bugs_N_Orks
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11 2013, 21:08

Yes they can, but
Bugs_N_Orks wrote:
if an enemy tries to block the hatch just disembark normally and charge them.
since if they're blocking the hatch they must be within 12" or so of the building.
Back to top Go down
Dirtydeeds
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11 2013, 22:21

Oh yeah. That makes sense lol. My first army was tau, so gove me a break if I I didn't consider charging them.
Back to top Go down
Bugs_N_Orks
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12 2013, 00:56

Haha fair enough. Them being within 12" also means their in easy rapid fire range (or shuriken catapult if you like guardian allies), and since you get to place the template it's easy enough to put it in view of a fire point of two.
Back to top Go down
Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18 2013, 13:51

I like how this new book has made me right about being able to target unoccupied buildings.....
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18 2013, 21:06

Timatron wrote:
I like how this new book has made me right about being able to target unoccupied buildings.....

Me too! The rules clarifications and explicit scenarios concerning targeting and claiming helps address a lot of confusion. The fact that if you place a quad gun on the bastion's battlements makes it an emplaced weapon is going to be annoying since you will only be able to destroy it via the build damage table. Though the rule book states that it's an emplaced weapon in the example in the emplaced weapon section, many TOs have ruled that it was just a gun emplacement due to the upgrade ruling in the datasheet. SA finally clarified such which is bittersweet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of Stronghold Assault   Making the most of Stronghold Assault - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making the most of Stronghold Assault
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2