THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?

Go down 
+2
Evil Space Elves
Servicious
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Servicious
Slave

What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? Empty
PostSubject: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17 2013, 05:33

So I found this awesome defense line on Warseer and I originally thought it was made with plasticard (towards the bottom of the page).

Ihttp://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?321618-The-Darksnake-Brotherhood-DE-Haemonculi-army/page4&highlight=pazuzu

I tried to make one my self with plasticard, but I could not get the cuts as smooth as he did, nor the angled edges, not to mention getting that curved effect. What material is he using or am I just using the wrong too to cut my plasticard?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17 2013, 05:40

That link went nowhere for me. Can you repost?
[EDIT]
What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? DSC09444
This is plasticard

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17 2013, 07:52

Damn, that is good! Definitely plasticard, and I don't think he has actually angled his edges, I think it's just the angle at which they are presented to the camera. You can angle your edges by filing them after you cut out the shapes, or by dragging a knife along them at near-perpendicular, to scrape the edges, but either way you would not get as smooth a finish as he has and the finished shapes would not match together so perfectly.

These are just straight cuts, with a helluva knife judging by the thickness of the p-card.

Awesome piece!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17 2013, 13:45

It could be some kind of hard foam. I suspect he needed some filing and sanding work done.

Cult of Bladed Violet & Kabal of Violet Storm - DE army

The Ovatan Dynasty - Necron army
Back to top Go down
Servicious
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17 2013, 14:16

Maybe I am using the wrong kind of plasticard, but my exacto knife wont cut plasticard as thick as he is using at all. What tool should I use to cut plasticard that thick? I used scissors and just forced it, but the cuts are VERY rough. Also, look at the bullet holes he has in the bottom of the right middle piece. How do you get that with plasticard? I am thinking it is some kind of foam as well, but I have been to multiple hobby and hardware stores and can't find anything like it.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17 2013, 14:52

I would use a small saw or a rotary tool tool to get cuts like that.

The bullet holes are actually the easiest part-lightly tap the bullet hole with a drill bit, score out from there with either a knife(harder way) or use a small cutting attachment on a rotary tool.

I use a Dremel a lot though, and tend to see every problem as an opportunity to fire it up!  Razz Razz 
"When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail."

Back to top Go down
Servicious
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18 2013, 05:03

I never even thought of using a Dremel, but now that you mention it. I think that is exactly how this guy did it. Explains the smooth round cuts. Thanks Evil!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18 2013, 06:40

Servicious wrote:
I never even thought of using a Dremel, but now that you mention it. I think that is exactly how this guy did it. Explains the smooth round cuts. Thanks Evil!

I know Dremel work when I see it!  Razz 

Back to top Go down
Servicious
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30 2013, 22:22

Ok, so I used the Dremel and now I have the shape that pretty closely match his. But when I dry assemble it, it still doesn't look quite right. I think this is due to some subtle curvature he applied to the otherwise straight and flat card (you can see this more clearly on the photo shot from behind the wall on Warseer.) Any idea on how to achieve this affect with plasticard?
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30 2013, 23:24

You could place them on some gently-curved surface and carefully apply some heat to bend them. I usually steam plasticard or model bitz to re-shape them.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Servicious
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31 2013, 00:41

Can you tell me more about how you steam them? The card I am using is very thick. I tried popping it the toaster oven at 250 (as the Plastistruct website detailed) and that worked ok, but it was hard to control the bending. I am also trying to copy his dual layer effect with a smaller gauge card attached to the front. Would you recommend gluing the two pieces together first THEN shaping or shaping one or the other/both then gluing?
Back to top Go down
CavDoc
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31 2013, 00:51

Try using steam from a kettle. That allows you to reheat the plasticard as needed. Try to find something that has the amount of bend you want. Maybe a large coffee tin. It's easier to mold around something than shape by hand.

And yes, I would glue both pieces together first. Otherwise it'll be hard to get both curves exact. Just be careful that the steam isn't causing your glue to unstick.
Back to top Go down
kourac31
Kabalite Warrior
kourac31

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31 2013, 06:19

Hi everybody,

The guy is using expansed PVC card. It exist in various thickness. In france, it is use as back sheet for advertising panel combine with transparent one. It is very easy to cut even at 5 mm thick. It is souple also, so It can be bend easily. I've use some for my voidraven bomber.

the full link: DE defense lign

You will see the DE scenery is making.
If the pictures are not enough clear, I could translate some of the explanation. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?   What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What material is this guy using on this AWESOME defense line?
Page 1 of 1