THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey

Go down 
+3
Khain mor
Tengu
Darkgreen Pirate
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey Empty
PostSubject: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21 2013, 09:25

Greetings fellow archons ( and victim, you said you wouldn't peek Rolling Eyes !)

What follows is my humble attempt at a project log, start to finish. I welcome all c&c, just be gentle, this is my first log and I'm a family man; December holidays plus kids equals very little spare time! So remove the barbs from your agonisers at least, I can take a subtle whipping Wink .

My target is creating a very specific look; Egyptian Dark Eldar. Plus he has a disdain for the new raider/ravager kits. His venom conversions are quite visually interesting (if not downright inspired!) so I was left with a choice; a cool Dark Egyptdar unit or a vehicle that would fit the requirements of the raid and his theme. With much debate (self and with my FLGS haemonculi cohorts) I finally chose the latter.

Ever looked at a falcon grav tank from the top and thought it looked like an Egyptian headdress? I did. So my build revolved around a more thematically liberal interpretation of Dark Egyptdar falcon conversion that counts as a raider. Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131126_190940

From that I needed to DE it up a bit, so some spikes and blades were in order.

Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131203_225017
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131203_225057sorry, this one is a bit fuzzy. silly camera phone.

Now that we have suitable pointy bits, it was time to make this look like a chariot. I had the thought that it already looked Egyptian in its lines and shape, but wanted to avoid the pitfall of stargate-ishness. I had the Image of Yul Brenner in his chariot in The Ten Commandments in my head, the javelins off to one side, he at the reigns with his whip. With that I set to work on the "open top" aspect of the build.
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131206_155612
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131206_164700Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131206_164721

With primary construction complete, it was on to paint. Yellow gold and blue are traditional Egyptian colours, so at the risk of an Iyanden cross over I bit the chainflail and went with yellow. It seemed to tie the look of a headdress together nicely. Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131211_195559Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131211_210946

Then some old school black lining between the colours to give them separation. You'll notice the pilot; some green stuff on his head gave him a suitable headdress. The original plan was to have a kabalite hanging off each side of the basket as well but alas time was my enemy, and an implacable one at that.
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131211_223718
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131212_153346
his purple hued armour is a nod to my own army; a visual representation of a gift from my army to my victims Very Happy

Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131212_170416
A view from the top, very headdress like. I thought about thinner lines but Im glad I didn't- the look I felt was quite striking and would have otherwise been muddied with too many stripes.

Here is a hint gents, if you take the hair off a wyche, doesn't matter how many or which wyche (lol), she looks very masculine. The only way to accentuate the driver of this raid was to feminize her somewhat. Admittedly we had been partaking of the oatmeal stout at my FLGS late into the night, and the jeers and encouragement of both the beer and the haemonculi in attendance led to a rather disparate anatomical inequity...Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131213_013938
For those of you not still giggling at my excessive use of green stuff, the gems got a start as well, and the Dark lance was modded and magnetized in the front. I thought of mounting it at the top but the Yul Brenner image kept coming to mind.

I thought to magnetize the raid driver to show loaded or unloaded status, and here is that pic. I drilled the heel and glued in a magnet.Then with her in position I dabbed superglue underneath the platform and slid in another magnet covered in fast set, Click! Glued and in the right polarity. If you have never used fast set to set your super glue I highly suggest it. Works a charm that stuff.
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131218_164025

With the home stretch in sight, I faltered. I must have painted her face 14 times and each one didn't capture what I was after. The new models are great, but I had cut so much away to fit the headdress and theme that most of the subtler details had gone. My FLGS owner and drinking buddy to the rescue. At 1:30AM Wednesday morning he painted in the face in a very stark and taskmaster-esque fashion, with some subtle washes and some fine detailing (yay wargaming Psycho brush) I had given her beauty makeup.
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131218_164140
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131218_164216

Now just final pencilling and I was done. I thought to carry the jade green from the gems on the vehicle and her hat throughout.
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131218_171134

And with that we we're done!
Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey 20131218_172151

All in all I enjoyed the heck out of this. I stretched as a sculptor/painter/modeller, broke a few times, bled ( yes Algae, that one repaired spike actually embedded in my finger lol) and came out with a finished project that I am proud of. I would have liked another 12 hours or so to work on it, and there are things I would have done differently now, but all in all it was a great experience. I honestly feel as if I got the gift, it was a worthwhile endeavour to be sure and I urge those who did not take part to do so next year!
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21 2013, 10:23

Its nice to know there are boob jobs in Commoragh too
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21 2013, 13:52

The weirdest part about this is that is does make perfect sence as a conversion. Some of these falcons conversions just aren't convincing but this one get my full approval.
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Algae
Hellion
Algae

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27 2013, 01:52

As the recipient of this beautiful vehicle of war, all I can say is thank you! DGP made an amazing custom ravager for me! The colors, the pilot, and passenger, everything is perfect.

Cant wait to use this beauty to strike fear (and admiration) in the hearts of my enemys. Thanks DGP for the beautiful work and thoughtful gift!
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27 2013, 23:00

Yeah, this was one good conversion. I think the idea was somewhat silly but it turned out to be brilliant. This is a very good show-off transport for any ridiculous powerful egytpian Archon who wants to ride in with style and brag. I bet it will take up all the attention on the gaming table.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 01:38

This is an excellent conversion JT, very nicely done! Not bad for a first attempt at a project log, either  Very Happy 

The amount of work that you put into this, all the little details and the quality of the painting, is one thing. But the fact that you did all this for Santa's Raid and made it fit so well with something like Algae's really unique army, that's just fantastic. As faceless said, it is the perfect ride for an Egyptian Archon.

I think I need to come and check out this FLGS, especially the beer bit!

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31 2013, 00:05

Thanks guys, as I convalesce with this heinous flu ( ligolski????? Laughing ) It does the organ I replaced my heart with wonders to hear your kind words. Thanks gents!
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 16:51

beautiful Darkgreen. A ride fit for an Archon!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey   Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Secret Space Raid 2013; a DGP Odyssey
Page 1 of 1