THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended

Go down 
+2
Darthvegeta800
Zahaladune
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zahaladune
Hellion
Zahaladune

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 09:19

Thought I should go ahead and start a project log for my new Kabal.  The color scheme is fairly set in place, and the following models will look very similar to this first image submission.  

I decided to try out the color scheme out on a larger model, hence my first model being a raider.  After over a year away from a paint/air brush, I think things turned out fairly well.  I hope to have more additions to post in the coming weeks.

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_15781_zps01acd2d3" />

And the final version

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16441_zps6753df17" />

Anyone interested in the backstory of this Kabal, and their affiliated syndicate, can find a link in my signature.  Hope you enjoy the picture, keep your eyes peeled for new additions to the log.

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log

Last edited by Zahaladune on Sat Dec 28 2013, 09:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darthvegeta800
Hellion
Darthvegeta800

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 09:24

Looks beautiful! Smile
Back to top Go down
Zahaladune
Hellion
Zahaladune

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 09:34

Thanks  Very Happy .  I think I went a little heavy on some of the highlighted areas, so we'll see how the second one comes out.  This is the first time I used GW transfers, and didn't realize the overt glossy effect they can have; will have to trim down the shapes a bit to reduce some of that glare in the future.

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log
Back to top Go down
Dakkon
Slave
Dakkon

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 16:26

Nice! i like the pops of red on the black. Regarding the transfers, to remove the transparent 'glare' around the transfer you can try to put some varnish over the decal, this will help hide the edges.

Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 18:14

i like you Dakkon.... -blows kiss- That's from the High Lord Archon Alino Las'Kalo, feel honoured.
Back to top Go down
Zahaladune
Hellion
Zahaladune

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 22:17

Thanks for the tip Dakkon  Very Happy .  Sadly, and perhaps funny enough, I already put a layer of 'Ardcoat over the transfers as the sails were to have some level of glossy shine to them; yet the transfer still shows through.  

What this makes me think, is that I may have not gotta all the air out from underneath the transfers, and that the effect you see is due in part to a thin layer of trapped air......  Embarassed

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log
Back to top Go down
Zahaladune
Hellion
Zahaladune

PostSubject: First Ravager   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 06:39

And now it starts...

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16641_zps1f5167ee" />

Finished up priming and base coating a whole batch of models, and am now starting in on my first Ravager. I prime using Model Master Acryl Grey Primer with a dash of Vallejo Model Color Black; all shot through an airbrush.  The base coat is a simple airbrushing of the aforementioned Vallejo Black.  Highlights are done with Vallejo Basalt Grey, with touches of Citadel Ceramite White.

Got most of the grey highlights on, now to just touch up areas and then apply the white finishing touch.

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log
Back to top Go down
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 07:39

Thats a nice scheme you have there, the grey and black work really well together, and the red really "pops". Looks really good!

Hellion
Zahaladune

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30 2013, 04:09

Nothing big to update the post with, but I did stumble across a new technique I plan to use on all future models.  

Take a look

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16651_zps87c004e3" />

Now compare this with the Raider above.  The highlights are much softer and blended into the model, and have no apparent brushstroke touch-ups.  What I did was to simply go back over the entire model with a light dusting of the base color through an airbrush; after having completed the highlighting process.  What this effectively did was blend the seems between base and highlights, as well as dull and mute some of the brightness brought about by the highlights.

I'm fairly happy with it, and when compared to my previous work, it's a few notches up on the quality.

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log
Back to top Go down
Zahaladune
Hellion
Zahaladune

PostSubject: Ravager Sails   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31 2013, 00:30

Just finished up the sails and banner for the Ravager. Hopefully I'll have this completed in the next two days.

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16731_zps60a3d548

I wasn't able to get the Kabals' Heraldry on the sail, so I modified the banner to include both symbols.

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log
Back to top Go down
Zahaladune
Hellion
Zahaladune

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31 2013, 07:43

Got the gunners done on the Ravager, sorry that the pictures are a little blown out, gotta make a light filter box here soon....

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16881_zpsb3a69743" />

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16891_zps6ee13e75" />

A close up shot of the cockpit...

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended <a href=Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended IMG_16901_zpse809b203" />

Commorragh - The Game
Core Rule Project Log
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06 2014, 11:22

the work your did on these black armor plates is fantastic, I use a similar technique to paint black on big models like vehicles, only way to get some good blending with the grey edges.

The way people handle their highlights and how thin they are tells a lot about how skilled the guy is, I'm usually attracted by skilled painters as they work is a joy to watch.

The red on the cloth and sails is a bit weird, not sure what you were trying to do there.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended   Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Ilmaea Ascended
Page 1 of 1