THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Venom Spam

Go down 
+5
Expletive Deleted
eohall
Sky Serpent
Skulnbonz
Kilrane
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kilrane
Slave

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17 2014, 03:40

I've seen a lot of people talking about "spam" builds. Is there other effective army lists?
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17 2014, 15:56

Any army list can be effective if designed and played correctly.
Venom spam is easy, and for dark eldar, kind of forgiving if you make a small mistake or two.

Most armies have Auto-Includes (units so worth their points you are unwise not to include them) and for Dark Eldar, that would be the venom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasybattles.com
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17 2014, 19:48

The reasoning and theory behind Venom Spam is that you are maximising on their anti infantry fire as well as giving your opponent problems with target selection and saturation.

Say you have a Raider with an Archon and Incubi, Raider with kitted out Trueborn and two Venoms with Warriors you instantly know which boats will be killed in which order. Take 6 Venoms with Haywire Wyches you saturate him with targets and losing one does not affect the prowess of the others.

The other effective builds are the Beast Pack Deathstar and 3 Ravagers but you normally see this alongside Venom Spam.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Kilrane
Slave

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17 2014, 23:14

Thanks for the replies. I know it may sound counter productive but I don't like using the most expedient methods to win.  When I played M:tG I would stay away from the popular cards just to emphasize how important the overlooked cards are.  Like I said in my intro, I'm completely brand new to TT W40k and realize that there are just somethings that aren't worth spending money on.
Back to top Go down
eohall
Hellion
eohall

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17 2014, 23:46

If that's how you feel, dont buy more than a box of wyches, stay away from the court of the archon (what a tragedy that is, just look at those models) and you should be fine. Most of the non-optimal choices in the codex are still decent
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18 2014, 00:14

eohall wrote:
If that's how you feel, dont buy more than a box of wyches, stay away from the court of the archon (what a tragedy that is, just look at those models) and you should be fine. Most of the non-optimal choices in the codex are still decent

Surprised you didn't mention mandrakes.
Back to top Go down
KingKae
Slave
KingKae

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18 2014, 11:24

Yeah mandrakes are terrible
Back to top Go down
csjarrat
Kabalite Warrior

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18 2014, 12:53

i'd honestly say that if you're just gaming with friends, you can play well with pretty much anything in the book.
if you're intending to win consistently in a super-hard meta, bring your A-game and leave the court/mandrakes/a few SC's/bloodbrides at home.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18 2014, 17:13

Obvious answer is obvious, but have a good read through our Tactics and Army Lists sections - you'll see what is and isn't working for other people.

Best thing to do though is pick up some models and play. Sit down with the Codex and study it. Work out what is good in your meta.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Brom
Wych

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 00:05

All that said once you own a venom you will likely just keep buying more! They're soooo cool. I have venoms that dont even see play outside 2k just because I couldnt resist..
Back to top Go down
eohall
Hellion
eohall

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 00:27

Expletive Deleted wrote:
eohall wrote:

Surprised you didn't mention mandrakes.

Purely an oversight! They are so abysmal I almost never think about them.
Back to top Go down
Kilrane
Slave

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 09:35

I've watched what some of the other guys play. An eldar player with 2-3 Wraithknights, an ork player with those bikes that give him a cover save (plus all of his guys get FNP because of a named IC) and of course more shootas than you can shake a stick at, and of course the various popular flavors of SM. They all do tournaments so their armies are (from what I can tell with my very, very limited knowledge) pretty solid.

I've been reading the codex, waiting on the first to roll around so I can pick up one of those softback rule books that come out of the boxed set; so I can finally put all of the rules together.
Back to top Go down
NHBandit69
Slave

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 02:48

I play against Orks a lot, and they just hate our massed splinter fire. They actually leave my Venoms alone if I have a couple of Raiders, because a Raider with 10 Warriors, one with SC, and a DC with splinter racks can make Boyz (even with FnP) just disappear in a hurry. They disappear even more quickly when there are two Raiders working together. You also have a longer range than everything he has but Lootas and artillery or vehicles; depending on the board, you can hang back and just destroy him while you remain untouchable.

Don't worry, you can take Orks, no problem.
Back to top Go down
Kilrane
Slave

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24 2014, 01:20

NHBandit69 wrote:
Don't worry, you can take Orks, no problem.

Well, there's one Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Venom Spam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom Spam   Venom Spam I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venom Spam
Page 1 of 1