THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? Empty
PostSubject: Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?   Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24 2011, 17:03

Hey guys, new to the forum and am trying a new technique on my Venoms and new Raiders. I am a long time DE player and am finally getting around to switching out my old Raiders. I paint them in a deep egg plant purple highlighted up to Muderous Magenta (or Warlock Purple as my old army was). Accents are done in a jade color with banners/sails in Bubonic Brown. I am experimenting with the Tamiya X-25 Clear colors to make a teal/jade colored clear coat mixed with iridescent medium from liquitex on the purple to give it a candy apple effect. I finished my first Venom last night and brushed the mixture on so as not to piss off my neighbors on the other side of my wall with an air compressor at 11:00PM. I have the X-20 thinner and was wondering if anyone here has experience with that, and what ratio they used.

I would post a picture, but the lighting at my place is terrible and you really wouldn't be able to see the effect. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?   Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24 2011, 23:01

While I don't have personal experience with that kind of stuff, You should use brush. I had link to tutorial about using them (it also contain reason why use brush, it may dry too fast and make "fog" effect) but it's:
A) in Polish
B) I couldn't find link

Anyway You want paint with it INSIDE, no "fixing" when it dry, 1 layer per 24+ hours (so it would dry and "harden").
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?   Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 05:55

I was thinking of airbrushing it only because of the thickness of it. It would be easy to apply thinned coats once per 24 hours to get an even finish. Brushing it on is a little thick and it dries very quickly. I'll look around for an article in English on using it as my Polish is TERRIBLE.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?   Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 19:00

I have used Tamiya before and it does take quite a bit of getting used to. There are terribly user friendly.

However, if you have an airbrush, you could use a clear thinning medium with regular paint so it is very thin.

Also, another airbrush technique is misting, which is using your paint from a greater distance from the model so the paint goes on much more dispersed. If you thinned the paint or mixed in some clear paint medium you should be able to replicate a clear paint color or something like a glaze.

I've used these techniques before, but not for the method you have in mind so I am not 100% confident about how it will turn out.

Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?   Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 20:32

The first Venom that I tried it on with a brush did turn out pretty sweet in the correct lighting(we don't see the sun much during July on the central coast in California with the fog and all). It is subtle, but what the hell? I will try it later this weekend on a raider that I am picking up so that I cab paint the hull separate from the rest of the parts that I use Dullcote on. I'll try a sample piece tomorrow using the X-20 thinner from Tamiya.

Thanks for the help guys and I promise to put up a picture if the sun is out when I'm home.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?   Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airbrushing Tamiya clears colors?
Page 1 of 1