THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points

Go down 
+2
JackKnife01
Panic_Puppet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Panic_Puppet
Wych

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points Empty
PostSubject: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30 2014, 19:02

Was fortunate enough to get a pick-up game at my local club last night against someone who's scheduled opponent couldn't make it - 1750 points against Death Guard Chaos Space Marines. We knew beforehand that thanks to his low model count army that relied on high toughness, and my large amount of poison alongside not-very-durable-at-all units, meant that mission would play a larger than normal role in determining the game. Unfortunately for the Death Guard, we rolled the game that gave the Dark Eldar the biggest possible edge...

Mission: Crusade (5 Objectives)

Deployment: Dawn of War

Dark Eldar forces:
Archon, Huskblade, Shadowfield, Combat Drugs, PGL, Venom blade
Haemonculus, Liquefier, Shattershard, Venom blade
3 Grotesques, Aberration, Raider (characters both go here)
3 Trueborn, 3 Blasters, Venom, extra Splinter Cannon
10 Warriors, Splinter Cannon, Raider with Splinter Racks
5 Wyches, Haywire Grenades, Venom, extra Splinter Cannon
5 Wyches, Haywire Grenades, Venom, extra Splinter Cannon
10 Wracks, Liquefier, Acothyst with Hexrifle, Raider
5 Scourges, 2 Haywire Blasters
3 Reavers, Heat Lance

Razorwing Jetfighter, Flickerfield
Talos, Twin-linked Splinter Cannon, Twin-linked Liquefier
Ravager
(The aberration and a lot of extra bling on characters were added when I found I had 60 points spare)

Death Guard:
Typhus
Warpsmith, Burning Brand, Mark of Nurgle(?) (Can't remember exactly what he had beyond the brand)
10 Plague Marines, 2 Plasma guns, Aspiring Champion with Power Sword
10 Plague Marines, 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion with Power Sword
5 Chaos Terminators, Mark of Nurgle
3 Obliterators, Mark of Nurgle
Chaos Land Raider
Bastion with Icarus Lascannon

Typhus got Plague Wind and Weapon Virus as his powers, and comes with his own Warlord Trait (Fear). My Archon rolled Night Attacker as his Warlord Trait, and I got Hypex for a combat drug. I won both pre-game rolls for table sides/objectives, and for first turn, and elected to make the Chaos Marines go first.

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points De_11_16
Deployment. The blue objectives were deployed by myself, the white objectives by my opponent. He deploys the warpsmith and obliterators on top of his bastion, with the plasma-gun plague marines inside; the meltagun squad inside the land raider, and Typhus and his terminators behind it. I counter-deploy, making sure I'm more than 36" away from the bastion. The Land Raider doesn't bother me unduly as I'll be able to snag a 2+ cover save on turn 1 with whatever it shoots at. Warrior raider is on my left, then the archon's raider, and the trueborn venom in the ruins, along with the scourges. Talos is in area terrain, and I've got the wrack raider and the ravager hidden, flanked by the haywire wych venoms. The warpsmith chooses to shatter the defences of the ruin my scourges are starting in (a mistake, in my opinion). I don't seize, and the chaos marines start the game!

Turn 1 - Death Guard
The land raider pivots on the spot, and there is no other movement. My opponent begins his game plan of going after my troops by opening up with the land raider into the wrack raider, but I make all my cover saves (4+ for shooting through a ruin, +2 for shrouded thanks to night fighting).

Turn 1 - Dark Eldar
Everything begins to move, so I'll have 5+ jink saves at a minimum from here on out. The two raiders on my left flank move 12" round the building, and the venom with trueborn jumps over it. The scourges fly out, causing the first casualty of the game as one smacks his head on a roof beam. Talos struggles forwards, and the wrack raider advances 6" to keep pace. Ravager and one haywych venom move to my right flank, and the other comes to my left, moving flat-out to get near the trueborn venom. Shooting starts with the ravager scoring an unusual 3 hits, but doesn't even manage to glance the land raider. I fire lances from my 3 raiders at it, and manage to immobilise it, which I will happily take. To compensate for my poor shooting with lances and haywire blasters, I get lucky with splinter fire picking off 2 of the terminators. Shooting at the obliterators is ineffective.

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points De_11_17
End of turn 1

Turn 2 - Death Guard
Typhus and his friends advance around the left of the Land Raider (as I look at it). Warpsmith splits off from the obliterators to man the Icarus on his own. Shooting from the land raider explodes the wracks' raider for First Blood, killing 3 and pinning the survivors. Shooting from the unit on top of the bastion explodes the warrior raider, killing 5, and the survivors flee. The heavy bolter from the bastion manages to penetrate the nearest wych venom, but only shakes it. Typhus and the terminators manage to glance a hull point off of the other wych venom with combi-bolters. Wracks pass their leadership test thanks to the acothyst.

Turn 2 - Dark Eldar
Both my reserves come in from different corners of the board; reavers hiding in the ruin in my deployment zone. The glanced venom moves 6" and disembarks the wyches in front of the land raider, as even as a gun platform it's still really annoying. Warriors rally and return towards the cover of the exploded raider. Archon's ride and the blasterborn move up (the latter just moving 6"), the Scourges jump into the central terrain piece killing another one (facepalm), and the talos moves up to the edge. I point the Ravager at the bastion, and the wyches disembark from the shaken venom and run into the central cover. End of the phase, the Icarus intercepts my razorwing, but I make my 4+ cover save from the ruin. Ravager fires at the bastion to no effect; and all I can do with my splinter weapons is pick off another terminator. Trueborn get a 4th with their blasters. Wyches charge the land raider, 5 haywire grenades hit automatically, and I don't get any 1s or 6s in my damage rolls, making it a wreck. Plague marines pile out.

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points De_11_18
End of turn 2. Pros - I've got rid of most of the terminators, and forced a plague squad into the open. Con - I'm down two raiders, two venoms are seriously dented, and all my troops are presently exposed.

Turn 3 - Death Guard
The Plague Marines advance towards the central ruins; Typhus and his last friend head for the wyches that just blew up the land raider. Shooting from the obliterators with plasma cannons kills 2 wyches from the other squad, and his shooting also manages to destroy the ravager and the wyches' venom. In combat, the plague marines charge in and easily kill the scourges, taking up station in the middle. Typhus and the terminator charge the 5 wyches. I inflict no wounds, but thanks to poor rolling and good dodge saves, only lose 2 wyches. The remaining 3 fail their morale test, and fall back.

Turn 3 - Dark Eldar
Raider moves, and the archon and friends disembark. Talos moves into terrain. Fleeing wyches rally, and the wracks move out of sight behind the ruined tower - they are now my game-winner squad; plan is to move them out again in the late game. Razorwing is doing nothing, so I send it off table. Reavers move across near the wracks. The warriors advance towards the centre. Both venoms move up behind the land raider. Feeling cheeky, I pop the shattershard over Typhus and the terminator, but they both pass their toughness test.  The blasterborn finish off the last terminator for a pain token. The Talos manages to catch 6 plague marines under his template, and rolls AP3, digging out a good number of the plague marines; after a LOT of shooting (in this case, 'a lot' constitutes the Talos' splinter cannon, the warriors advancing, and both venoms) I manage to reduce the squad to 1 remaining. The reavers turbo boost up bladevaning Typhus in the face to no effect. Archon's unit fails a charge against Typhus (stupid not-fleet Grotesques...) but the Talos makes its charge against the last marine, leaving a foul-smelling smear on a pillar after squishing him with its hammer of wrath attack.

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points De_11_19
End of turn 3

Turn 4 - Death Guard
Without much to do, Typhus moves over towards the Archon's squad. He casts Plague wind, taking 2 wounds from a grotesque. Shooting kills 1 wych from the squad of 2, and the sole survivor falls back. He also manages to kill one of the jetbikes as in theory the heat lance is a threat to the bastion later, but they don't run. Typhus charges, and takes a wound from an AP1 Liquefier on the way in, and issues a challenge which the archon accepts. Typhus fires off the destroyer hive, only managing to net one wound which finishes the wounded grotesque. My archon can't get a 6 to wound, and Typhus lands 3 hits in return, 2 of which wound - fortunately, the shadowfield is up to the task, saving both.

Turn 4 - Dark Eldar
The wych venom moves back and the warriors re-embark, trusting it to get them to an objective. The 3 surviving wyches move forwards, towards the objective my opponent placed. Everything else, including the returned razorwing, moves towards his bastion, with the exception of the Reavers, who hide behind the land raider (the plan is to contest the only objective he can take). I disembark the blasterborn, and send them into combat with Typhus as well, as now I have 6 spectators instead of 3, giving my archon a potentially crucial re-roll. My shooting does next to nothing as I can't get through the armour of the units on top, and I can only manage a glance on the bastion. In combat, my archon lands 3 hits, and gets a single all-important 6 to wound. Typhus fails his invulnerable save, netting the Dark Eldar Slay the Warlord.

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points De_11_21
End of turn 4. I'm now ahead on secondary objectives, with Typhus' head on a stick and a trivially easy linebreaker. The Death Guard need to wipe my troops to win.

Turn 5 - Death Guard
After some quick maths, my opponent knows that disembarking from the bastion onto the objective will not win him the game, so he needs to play for a later end. He opens up with a lot of shots into the wyches, including the very nasty shock that Obliterators get assault cannons (didn't know that until now!), wiping them out. The warpsmith, back on the lascannon, smashes the venom with warriors hiding inside, killing 4 of the remaining 5; crucially, he passes both his pinning and morale tests.

Turn 5 - Dark Eldar
I shift the last warrior within range of the central objective. Before anything else, my opponent suggests we see if we get a turn 6 as if we don't, I've won. We roll a 2, and the game ends.

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points De_11_21
End of the game!

When we called the end of the game, I've not moved into linebreaker range yet, but have 1 objective and Slay the Warlord, compared to my opponent's First Blood. Dark Eldar Victory, 4 VPs to 1!

Thoughts:
The matchup definitely favoured Dark Eldar, as soon as we had the mission. I really compounded this with my pre-game rolls; forcing night fight on the game AND being able to put the Chaos player in to bat first meant I was able to deprive him of a useful first turn as well as having the last say on objectives. My opponent's priority was spot on - trying to take out my troops and claim that one objective near his bastion - but he'd have had an easier time had he shattered the defences of the central terrain piece which I fought the game over, rather than the one I moved out of on turn 1. I still made a few errors (notably, I didn't use the razorwing well at all; when I brought it back in on turn 4 I should have come down the far right in case he disembarked). I think the Death Guard had lost it no matter what, since I had 2 units to play for objectives with, and the Reavers to contest his on turn 7 in the unlikely event it went that far AND he'd managed to kill all my troops.

Anyway, that's it for this week - C&C welcome as ever, hope you enjoyed!

Last edited by Panic_Puppet on Sun Feb 02 2014, 10:46; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JackKnife01
Sybarite
JackKnife01

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 04:22

Good Hunting! Nice battle report. I would have to agree on the wrong terrain being destroyed. As far as the Razorwing goes, this is why I reduced the number I have to one. Again good battle report, and congrats on the win.
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01 2014, 08:27

Ballsy use of everything, well played. And props for playing to the mission. I'm just sad the Talos didn't get to see more action.
Also awesome to see an Archon drop Typhus, he goes down hard.
How d'you feel about the Lascannon vs Quad Gun, in your experience?

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01 2014, 20:43

That feeling when 60 points of wyches wreck a 240 point landraider... priceless. Well played good sir.
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 00:26

Bibitybopitybacon wrote:
That feeling when 60 points of wyches wreck a 240 point landraider... priceless. Well played good sir.

What can I say? I needed it gone, and that was the most efficient way of doing it Wink (we'll just gloss over the fact that it was crippled...) That was part of my game plan - the idea was to force that plague squad into the open ASAP, then concentrate all my fire on it until it was gone. At that point, my opponent can only ever claim one objective, whilst I can play for two or, if necessary, sent the reavers off to contest.

@Laughingcarp - I'm honestly not sure who's favoured in a match between Archon and Typhus. I need to roll a 6 to wound before I roll a 1 to save; Typhus has a 1/3 shot of getting out alive when I get the 6 whereas I have no such safety net, but that's offset by the Archon's greater WS, more attacks, and greater initiative. I'll just add that nice (though rather smelly) head to my trophy cabinet Very Happy. The Talos did really well, actually - it did most damage to the plague marine squad. As for the lascannon vs quad gun - I'm not sure. The lascannon has a 96" range, which is nasty - you can't hide from it as I originally tried to by bringing it on in the opposite corner thinking it was 48", but my opponent very sportingly alerted me to my error. This is the first time I've ever faced a bastion (as part of a list), and the first time I've seen someone use an Icarus lascannon over the quad gun, so I'd honestly need to play against it a few more times before I can get a feel for what worries me more.
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 07:13

My other army is CSM, and I've had Typhus laugh his way into and out the other side of half an army solo on more than one occasion. So it's awesome to see some turnaround! Never done the math hammer, but doesn't Typhus generally have more attacks since his scythe is a daemon weapon? You're looking at 3-8 S6 attacks, nevermind his powers. Archon is running ~5. Initiative is definitely a defining factor though. I'll see if my math-capable friend is up for working it out.
Either way, props on the headshot & trophy  Very Happy 

Panic_Puppet wrote:
The Talos manages to catch 6 plague marines under his template, and rolls AP3, digging out a good number of the plague marines; after a LOT of shooting (in this case, 'a lot' constitutes the Talos' splinter cannon, the warriors advancing, and both venoms) I manage to kill 8 of the remaining 9... but the Talos makes its charge against the last marine, leaving a foul-smelling smear on a pillar after squishing him with its hammer of wrath attack.
Definitely having trouble understanding this, think my brain got put in backwards. To my mind, it sounds like "8 of the remaining 9" were killed by "Talos' splinter cannon, warriors, venoms...", then the last one gets hammer-of-wrathed. But you also say he got a bunch of AP3 LG kills (which I just caught), so yeah.
In that case, bravo!

Gotcha. I've played against a couple bastions, but always against the quad-gun. The one time I ever bothered to field a bastion I used the icarus, but it failed to intercept a drop-pod so never again. I think generally the quad-gun is scarier, hence the points bump.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
TotingTenderToes
Hellion
TotingTenderToes

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 10:04

Panic_Puppet wrote:
I'm honestly not sure who's favoured in a match between Archon and Typhus

It all depends abit on combatdrugs, the best roll is +1Str.

Without drugs the Archon hits first, hits on 3s wounds on 6s and Typhus has his 5++ save (can't take FNP), this means you have a (2/3)*(1/6)*(2/3) = 2/27 chance of one of your attacks outright killing him. So the chance of Typhus surviving a turn is (1-2/27)^5 = 68%, so you have a 32% chance to kill Typhus in any given assault phase.

Typhus hits at I1, hits on 4s, wounds on 2s and you have your 2++ save, since he is S6 you get instadeath'ed if you fail any save. Thus he has a (1/2)*(5/6)*(1/6) = 5/72 chance of killing you, the chance of you surviving one turn of Typhus flirting with you is (1-5/72)^(3+daemonweapon) the expected value of extra attacks from daemonweapon is 3.33 (not 3.5 as a 1 doesn't grant extra attack), so you have (1-5/72)^(6.33) = 63% chance of surviving.

So as you can see without combat drugs Typhus has a slightly better chance of killing you than you have of him, but this is completely offset by the fact that you attack first. However, with combat drugs you have 3 rolls that will have an affect, +1str, shred and +1A. These will give you a 55%/52%/37% of killing Typhus in one assault phase.

tl;dr, Typhus will have his ass handed to himself by an Archon, especially if said Archon rolled +1str on his combat drugs.

EDIT: Forgot to add that +1str was the best combatdrug  tongue 

Last edited by TotingTenderToes on Sun Feb 02 2014, 23:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 10:46

My drugs for the match were hypex, so a non-issue Razz. For what it's worth, Typhus rolled a '2' for his daemon weapon in both occasions where he got to fight, against the wyches and first round against the archon.

@Laughingcarp - yeah, I should go edit that, it does LOOK like the liquefier only killed one from what I wrote, but it got a lot more (I think it got 4). Quad gun has more shots, but the lascannon has longer range, game against more targets, and will usually kill whatever it hits. Really not sure, though I suspect the quad gun sees more use for a reason!

Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 14:53

Brilliant report Puppet - very well played buddy, it very much sounds like victory was fairly well ensured from the start as long as you stuck with your plan; your opponent lacked the models (and the maneuverability once you took out the land raider) to truly threaten your ability to hog objectives. I agree on your summise of your opponents choice to shatter defences: he should have chosen a location that would have been fiercely contested and that you would be relying on to provide compensation for your low armour saves.

Great win though and lovely report as always! Am really enjoying the amount of quality reports that get put up here on darkcity - can't wait for the next one! Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points   Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar vs Chaos Space Marines - 1750 points
Page 1 of 1