THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

I swear by Night Shields

Go down 
+9
MurDok
Timatron
Denizen in the Dark
Silverglade
KingKae
Mngwa
SCP Yeeman
ligolski
Haemonculus
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Haemonculus
Hellion
Haemonculus

I swear by Night Shields Empty
PostSubject: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 16:28

I've sworn by the Night Shield for my raiders for years... But recently i've been thinking that its not as good as i thought with all the longer ranged weapons around.

What are YOUR thoughts on them?
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 16:40

Honestly, I don't bother with the expenditure in points. The most I'll ever upgrade is the extra SC on the venom. I try to maximize models on the field usually without to many upgrades that aren't super necessary. Then again that depends on your list.

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 17:10

I will put Night Shields only on my Ravagers. They are nice to have because armies like Necrons and Grey Knights simply get boned. Also, it allows all those long range guns to have to get that little bit closer to me incase I am on 1 flank. I will agree that their use is marginal and sometimes never come into effect, but more often than not forcing your opponent to move a Wave Serpent up 6'' more than normal means you can assault that turn or not.

I don't leave home without them on the Ravagers.
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 19:04

I think night shields work better on ravagers, like said.
They are best used on vehicles that are going to stay far. Raiders usually try to get close to the enemy, and once they are empty, they wont be that much targeted anyway.

THE CULT OF THE BURNING LEAF

THE COVEN OF THE HOLLOWED
Back to top Go down
KingKae
Slave
KingKae

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 21:51

I always use them on raiders and ravagers, only time i dont use them is when using raiders just to get CC guys forward. The main reason i use them is to protect them from the basic guns as the armour is terrible
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 22:33

I have recently been debating stopping using my night shields.

Now that my main opponent (grey knights) knows I will usually have them, he has dreadnaughts with autocannons (48" range) and razorbacks with lascannons to combat them all the time.

So I'm starting to think they are just extra points.
Back to top Go down
Denizen in the Dark
Hellion
Denizen in the Dark

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 23:47

Night shields on Venoms and Ravagers is a MUST!
Staying out of range is key and they help a lot.

Raiders I can see dropping them,since you're pushing up field to shoot or jump out anyway.

Sybarite
Timatron

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 02:18

They are the best counter we have to SMS toting Tau, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 02:44

A podcast from 40k global discussed this topic once.  The player (can't remember his name) said that Nightshields and Flicker Fields were a waste on vehicles when purchased as it can be expensive when added all up.  I tried them in the past but now I too feel like there meh, I never leave home without flicker field though with all the Tau and Thunderfire Cannon around my area.
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 04:41

Night Shields happen if I'm bringing Ravagers, or if I know who I'm playing (IE Tau, Timatron is right on the money again).

Raiders are hit-and-miss. I field mine with Splinter Racks if I'm bringing Kabbies, so I usually justify that as enough.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 05:36

MurDok wrote:
A podcast from 40k global discussed this topic once.  The player (can't remember his name) said that Nightshields and Flicker Fields were a waste on vehicles when purchased as it can be expensive when added all up.  I tried them in the past but now I too feel like there meh, I never leave home without flicker field though with all the Tau and Thunderfire Cannon around my area.

not sure how nightshields will help you against the Thunderfire cannons...60" barrage, Tau on the other hand I would agree with.

If I faced more Tau I probably would try them more.

Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 06:16

Yah NS definitely don't do as much vs Marine armies in my experience; all their heavy anti-vehicle fire outranges our 36" guns, often by a LOT.

Ligolski, I believe MurDok was talking about flicker fields helping vs Tau & TFCs.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 06:40

I've always thought NS were a must on gunboats. Without them the boat just gets boltered down to easy.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 09:54

I always buy flickerfields for my vehicles due to the amount of cover ignoring weaponry and the danger of getting shot to death first turn but I tend to leave night shields off these days as I find them far too situational.

eris
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 12:02

I never ever take them.

1) Most opponents are marine centric, and so their heavy weapons have sufficient range to make NS of no benefit.
2) They're a points sink. We tend to be quite vehicle heavy; 3 ravagers, 4+ venoms, so you're suddenly almost 100 points into NS. That's enough for another unit or two in my list.
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 10 2014, 14:42

Laughingcarp wrote:
Yah NS definitely don't do as much vs Marine armies in my experience; all their heavy anti-vehicle fire outranges our 36" guns, often by a LOT.

Ligolski, I believe MurDok was talking about flicker fields helping vs Tau & TFCs.

derp you're right Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I swear by Night Shields   I swear by Night Shields I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I swear by Night Shields
Page 1 of 1