THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Will the Decapitator be released soon?

Go down 
+3
Mr Believer
valmir
Elzadar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

Will the Decapitator be released soon? Empty
PostSubject: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 02:19

So I had a theory. GW is currently using dataslates to make units like the hellbrute better viable. Including with the hellbrute dataslate they also released a new hellbrute model. Seeing how the release schedule is very flexible now, I wouldn't  be surprised if we would see some Dark Eldar models appear.

One of our recent discussions covered the fact that there are too many characters without models, and that likely a few will be scrapped in the next codex. Also a mandrake dataslate is about the most demanded release for a while now, probably even more than for the Voidraven.

So what could GW do? Release a Mandrake dataslate! Together with a model of Kheradruakh this would be a big seller and solve issues for our future 6th/7th edition codex in 2015.
Back to top Go down
valmir
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 15:42

I'm sorry, but I truly believe you are radically overestimating how interested the world would be in a mandrake dataslate...
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 17:47

I'm with Valmir on this one, I really don't think Dark Eldar generally are particularly high on the list of priorities for GW. We get the occasional crumb thrown our way to keep us in the running, such as being allowed to ally with Eldar, or use there super-heavies, but I can't see them addressing the problem this way. More likely they'll change his rules with the next codex release, whenever that comes, and perhaps give him a new model then as part of the initial push. I'd think that's much more likely than updating a less popular army piecemeal. A dataslate for mandrakes is more likely, but I wouldn't bank on any new DE models.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 18:12

I could see them being lazy and releasing a dataslate for lelith, now that she has "new rules." It's a beautiful model too, so, they could make a little money off of it. Who wouldn't want to add a skimpy murder machine to their army/collection?

Other than that, I'm as skeptic and pessimistic as everyone else.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 18:45

The ease with which Dataslates can be produced means that they are churning them out at a prolific rate; I see no reason why every model on sale shouldn't get included, popular or not.

Previously, to promote a given model required a new published codex, and all the development that incurs:new kits, flagship models, major investment.

Now, the team of trained monkeys in the game design department only have to think of a number, turn it into a statline, get their 11 year old son to write the fluff, playtest it for the time it takes for the kettle to boil, then upload it.

I might be in a cynical mood, but joking aside, dataslates allow a model with a weak codex entry, old or new, to be revised. Take Genestealers, for example; within a month of the new Codex:Tyranids failing to make them viable, their Dataslate gave them a big leg up.

There is no reason not to do Mandrakes, which were after all a flagship model, heavily promoted when our codex was released. A quick PDF could be knocked out, and even if it only sells some Mandrakes and Decapitators to DE players, that is still a good return on the investment.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 19:23

Everything you said is true commandersasha. The pessimism stems from the fact there are 14 other armies that sell better than Dark Eldar (I think). And while mandrakes are likely the first thing GW will dataslate, I just don't see it happening any time soon. Not until all the other larger markets... I mean armies, are tapped.

Edit: After all, how many mandrakes would move compared to say, sanguinary guard, who aren't as terrible but few blood angels players I know use them but want to?
Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 20:35

they could still do it before the new codex release though, similarly to how Chaos Daemons were treated in august.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 21:10

I disagree that mandrakes would be dataslated.

I have to say, and I'm sorry.

Most of the other dataslates have either been characters there are no current rules for, or Codex Supplements for either well-established army spin-offs of new armies that can be made up with existing codecies. Mandrakes are just one unit (and a character). They're not the basis for an entire army.
Also, dataslates that have expanded on units in other books have added to, rather than completely altered, those units. They've been given a few new choices, usually based on the theme of the army supplement, but never had the full upgrade that Decapitator and Mandrakes need.

If Dark Eldar were ever to get supplements, and based on the current trend I could certainly imagine they would following a new book at some point, but I can't imagine one being for Mandrakes. Kabal of the Black Heart quite possibly, maybe even the next book being generic Dark Eldar with supplements for Wych Cults and Haemonculi Covens (I see that one as being more likely), maybe even Baron Sathonyx and Hellion forces, but not Mandrakes themselves. They're too......low-key......for expansion into anything other than an interesting unit.

And I say this despite loving the mandrakes and Decapitator, but mainly for what they USED to be.

Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
valmir
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 21:28

I'm with squidmaster. I think it would be much more likely that they would start "at the top" in terms of dataslating Dark Eldar. Like he said: a slate for a particular Kabal, or to run cult- or coven-themed lists.

Are Mandrakes even popular as models? I mean, are they something that every DE player is champing at the bit to run, but simply doesn't because the rules suck? I suspect not...
Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 23:14

They could release a formation with the decapitator, where they would have some special kind of deployment and a free pain token though.
Back to top Go down
valmir
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16 2014, 19:23

Elzadar wrote:
They could release a formation with the decapitator, where they would have some special kind of deployment and a free pain token though.

Yeah, of course they could... Wink

I think we're more likely to see a Lelith/wych formation, or a Baron formation (which would be awesome!), personally...
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16 2014, 21:21

Provided they had a Baron model in the works.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16 2014, 22:06

A Lelith/Wych formation would see me doing a little happy dance.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16 2014, 22:31

Dont see it myself...

...However the `Path of the Archons` going to be `Drake-centric, isnt it? Bellathonis is now in Aerlindrach, isnt he?

(No doubt very cold and bored by now...)
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16 2014, 22:50

commandersasha wrote:
A Lelith/Wych formation would see me doing a little happy dance.

I almost did a happy dance just reading her mission rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the Decapitator be released soon?   Will the Decapitator be released soon? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will the Decapitator be released soon?
Page 1 of 1