THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Are you going to buy the new Court models?

Go down 
+11
GrenAcid
Archon Sussarkh
Nomic
Judgex83
Sorrowshard
Aroshamash
abjectus
Gobsmakked
Saintspirit
Tiri Rana
Sky Serpent
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Yes, both
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba1310%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 10% [ 6 ]
Only the Ur-ghul
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba130%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 0% [ 0 ]
Only the Medusae
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba1310%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 10% [ 6 ]
I'm going to convert my own
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba133%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 3% [ 2 ]
I'll wait until the other two are released
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba1319%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 19% [ 12 ]
Too expensive
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba1311%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 11% [ 7 ]
I would but they're Finecast
 10% [ 6 ]
I'll wait a while
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba135%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 5% [ 3 ]
I don't ever intend on using them, so no.
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba1324%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 24% [ 15 ]
I want to see them in the flesh first.
Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba138%Are you going to buy the new Court models? Voteba15
 8% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 62

AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Are you going to buy the new Court models? Empty
PostSubject: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 14:44

I'm interested in what people really think about the new Court models. I think that like the Beast models they are rather nice, but, rather pricey. Are you actually going to buy them?

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 14:59

I think I'll eventually buy them, one time, since I try to have atleast one original model for every unit. But I want to see them in the flesh first and wait till the other two are released.

All in all I probably will convert a full court with one original mixed in, just get more flexibility and variation, but as I'll never field one in a competetive list I won't buy a full backup.

Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 17:27

Prefer to have my Archon either with wyches or Incubi, so probably not. The Medusae could be used for some nice conversion though.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 21:31

I'll wait quite a while before deciding. I really want to see the other two fig's first as I'm not enamoured with these. I already prefer Hydra's Archontin (as a Medusae) and Lucky's Lhamaean and Sslyth conversions, so I may very well convert my own eventually. That would be more fun and satisfying.

Also, I'm not planning on fielding the Court ever, so it's not a priority.

And there's that Finecast 'thing', which I am hoping to avoid in my army even more than metals.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 21:43

As I run both Duke and the Baron I don't use an Archon so for now I don't plan on using them, however that hasn't stopped me from making numerous other DE purchases that won't be seeing the tabletop anytime soon.

I am planning on collecting a grand army though so perhaps when it is time for Lady Malys to make a cameo then she will get her own court.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30 2011, 08:13

I will just get Medusa and convert urghuls. Unless they come with two head options or are 2 pack, then I'll get both. I think the urghul price seems low for two pack but high for what the figure amounts to for one. If the urghuls come with two heads I'll put the extra on fantasy ghoul. I have some pewter models from reaper to use for Sslyth and Lhamaean till GW makes some.
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30 2011, 11:29

I like what the Medusae look like, but I imagined the Ur-Ghuls as much more bestial than a lanky humanoid with 5 nostrils instead of eyes. I'm still trying to figure out what to use as a bottom jaw for a planned Ur-Ghul conversion using the "head" of a Tyranid devourer as the top jaw. No ideas on the body either, but probably a khymera or sabre-tusk.

I just like the image of them being much more "bloodhound" like.

Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30 2011, 11:32

Too expensive, made from finecrap and the unit is lame, if I could just buy two medusa and stick em in a venom .....

Hellion
Judgex83

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2011, 03:20

Sorrowshard wrote:
Too expensive, made from finecrap and the unit is lame
This sums it up for me to. For me to put up with fine crap the unit has to be awesome. If they make lhameans I will prolly give in even thou they will be finecrap.
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2011, 16:23

I don't really understand the hatred of Finecast. I've had no trouble with it at all so far, and have bought more than a few Finecast models. Personally, I see it as an improvement from the metal, and one just has to look at the new Wraiths/Banshees to see what new possibilities it creates for the sculptors.

Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2011, 17:14

Finecast is not really any improvement on the metal, its also floppy and flimsy with a high miscast incidence, it warps and suffers failure in hot weather and for all that I get charged more while it costs GW less to make ??, not hatred as much as not being a retard consumer, Ill pay more for a better product ?

Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2011, 17:16

Aroshamash wrote:
I don't really understand the hatred of Finecast. I've had no trouble with it at all so far, and have bought more than a few Finecast models. Personally, I see it as an improvement from the metal, and one just has to look at the new Wraiths/Banshees to see what new possibilities it creates for the sculptors.
They are plastic though, but I still agree with you. Finecast hasn't been much trouble for me, though I usually open the box in the store so I can check if there is any failures.

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2011, 20:10

I might get the medusa because I like the way it looks, and then use it as...something. A Warck, an objective marker, maybe even a counts-as blaster in my Warrior squad (eybeams!).

Archon Sussarkh
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2011, 22:51

I would only buy the Medusa, just to have another nice model for my Dark Eldar, which I furthermore could use as a painting challenge to try to make a show case miniature. The Yr'Ghul though, I mean Ghoul stays Ghoul how much eyes it may ever have Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 00:59

Theres no way I would buy them at all. No reason, medusae have decent model but why I would put my archon in such a unit when I have Incubi Blodbrides ect??

Archon of All-seeing Eye Cabal.
Back to top Go down
Angaurrith
Hellion
Angaurrith

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 04:21

I most likely will never use them, though after the other two are revealed I will decide. I like both the models that were shown, but I honestly don't see the point of the court when so many other, better units can be taken.

Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 08:52

GrenAcid wrote:
Theres no way I would buy them at all. No reason, medusae have decent model but why I would put my archon in such a unit when I have Incubi Blodbrides ect??

Why would you put your archon with the court? Nobody says you have to? scratch

It's a stand-alone "mayhem" unit, with decent survivability, possibility for 2 ultra strong template weapons and overall pretty serious short range firepower in a small package. It's probably not uber competitive, but I envision it in a counter-assault role. Smile

I'm buying two of each - and this is after swearing off finecast completely initally, that's how much I like these models. I assume the court will be the sum of my finecast purchases, though, unless they release Vect or something...
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 11:03

Sorrowshard wrote:
Finecast is not really any improvement on the metal, its also floppy and flimsy with a high miscast incidence, it warps and suffers failure in hot weather and for all that I get charged more while it costs GW less to make ??, not hatred as much as not being a retard consumer, Ill pay more for a better product ?

Flimsy? It can bend, but unless you snap it, it springs back, and it can support a decent amount of weight, as the Vampires Banshee/Wraith models prove. Once it gets out of the teething period the miscasting ratio should go down, and as for actual quality, having bought both the metal and resin Archon models, the details on the resin model are much, much crisper, and the fact that it's so much lighter is awesome.

Still, we're getting kinda off-topic. I can see why people have some problems with Finecast, but I can see what Finecast has brought to the hobby as well. They can now sculpt things that were literally impossible before due to weight.

Hellion
Judgex83

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2011, 21:36

Aroshamash wrote:
as for actual quality, having bought both the metal and resin Archon models, the details on the resin model are much, much crisper

ive seen many claim this and i dont see how its possible since its the same exact molds.
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2011, 22:09

Judgex83 wrote:
Aroshamash wrote:
as for actual quality, having bought both the metal and resin Archon models, the details on the resin model are much, much crisper

ive seen many claim this and i dont see how its possible since its the same exact molds.

Metal is a hot setting material, so it contracts and warps, while cooling. Resin however is a cold setting material, so it does not, or at least less.

The mold is an important part in casting, but the material used is, at least, as important, to get statisfying results.

Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06 2011, 08:08

Stay on topic please. One post deleted.

Keep the Finecast debate in the GW General Discussion section.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Spiney Norman
Hellion
Spiney Norman

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2011, 14:50

Aroshamash wrote:

Flimsy? It can bend, but unless you snap it, it springs back, and it can support a decent amount of weight, as the Vampires Banshee/Wraith models prove. Once it gets out of the teething period the miscasting ratio should go down, and as for actual quality, having bought both the metal and resin Archon models, the details on the resin model are much, much crisper, and the fact that it's so much lighter is awesome.

Still, we're getting kinda off-topic. I can see why people have some problems with Finecast, but I can see what Finecast has brought to the hobby as well. They can now sculpt things that were literally impossible before due to weight.

Finecast is flimsy compared to metal, finecast components snap with relatively little expenditure of force, much less than you would need to snap or even bend a metal component of the same thickness. Metal is also far far easier to correct bent components as whatever you do to finecast by way of heating it etc, it invariably returns to its original shape eventually.

Also its worth pointing out that the Banshee and Wraith models ARE NOT made from finecast resin, they're made from the same plastic as Kabalite Warriors and Wyches.

As to the difference in detail between finecast and metals, it is visible on the unpainted model, but the difference has mostly been obliterated once you've undercoated the model and isn't visible at all by the time you've painted it.

The only finecast model I have bought was the Tomb Kings Liche priest and I had to change it 6 times to get a satisfactory model (twice by mail order and 4 attempts in stores)

Back on topic, regarding the court models there doesn't seem to be many thin or flimsy components to them, which hopefully means the material will hold up ok, though I'd be worried about the medusae's chain if its not molded to her skirts all the way across. I like the medusae, but I'm not so fussed about the Urgul, then again the models you really want in a court are SSlyths and Medusae so if they do a good job of the Sslyths I might be tempted.
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 16:57

Well, we should apparently be seeing some of the new Court models soon, given that the concept art for them was seen at the latest Games Day. Apparently, the Lhamaeans will be wearing a combination of Kabalite armour with a sort of kimono, and the Sslyth have crocodilian heads.

Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 17:06

My Archon hasn't made into a list in about 6 months, but shiny new sculpts have been known to impair my judgement from time to time...The Court is just a little too much of a funky mis-mash of fluffy models that don't really suit my playing style all that much. I do love the Mars Attacks Mudasae though. ACK ACK!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 17:55

Someone pointed out (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) that the medusae reminded him of a zoanthrope. If I buy it and only use it's body, I think I will make a little zoan-ripper-thrope... Laughing

shamroll wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you going to buy the new Court models?   Are you going to buy the new Court models? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next