THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Regarding terrain

Go down 
+5
Dethric
Devilogical
Mushkilla
xzandrate
Lord Puberis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Puberis
Hellion
Lord Puberis

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 19:10

Having a discussion with my friends, and I keep reading that there is no area terrain, however I a. Can't see that
B. I'm pretty sure the description for the wood thing states that if your on the base you get a save regardless of the obscurity of the model?

Can anyone explain this to me? Really struggling to get my head around it?

Jk
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 19:40

You pretty much have it.

Basically, they define all terrain pieces as having it's own rules (I'm guessing so they can sell more terrain). So there are no generic rules that affect all terrain labelled "Area Terrain".

Instead some terrain pieces have rules that allow you to claim a save while you are within their footprint, basically making certain pieces act like the old area terrain.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 19:45

Same with ruins. If you're in them you have a 4+. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite
Devilogical

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 20:19

I think it`s important here, that models get cover regardless of the obscurity, which is mean if u attack from behind, u still in cover.
Back to top Go down
Dethric
Hellion

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeTue May 27 2014, 08:18

Devilogical wrote:
I think it`s important here, that models get cover regardless of the obscurity, which is mean if u attack from behind, u still in cover.

That was already the case with area terrain.

I kind of like the new terrain, except that it only describes the terrain GW is currently selling, and not generic pieces. (They describe what Citadel Woods do, not what Woods do Razz)
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeTue May 27 2014, 18:08

Dethric wrote:

I kind of like the new terrain, except that it only describes the terrain GW is currently selling, and not generic pieces. (They describe what Citadel Woods do, not what Woods do Razz)

They do describe other, generic terrain - page 108, under Difficult Terrain-"It includes areas of rubble, woods, ruins..." and so on, stating "Unless specifically noted otherwise, a model in cover behind difficult terrain has a 5+ cover save." They also clarify that "behind cover" means the model has to be at least 25% obscured by the terrain. It's pretty unequivocal, with ruins getting special treatment (4+ regardless of whether or not they're 25% obscured, like Mush said).
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeTue May 27 2014, 18:34

Terrain is essentially the same concept just without the 'area' part and now any unit not classed as a vehicle gets cover for having a toe inside most terrain. My wraithknight has been pretty happy landing on top of ruins so far.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 13:16

Area terrain was essentially for people (a lot of people) that would base their ruins and terrain which while good for aesthetics, was also practical and defined clear boundaries of the terrain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Panic_Puppet
Wych

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 13:46

'Area terrain' as a rulebook defined term is gone. That's the big difference. As p 108 states, there are now two terms, 'in cover behind' and 'in'. The former basically means that if you are 25% obscured by any terrain piece, you get the appropriate cover save.

Certain things give you cover for being 'in' the terrain piece rather than having to be 25% obscured by it; specifically Ruins (4+), the rather nebulously defined Rubble (4+), Craters (6+), Battlescapes (5+) Twisted Copse (glorified woods) (5+) and Moonscape (glorified Craters) (6+). If you're 'in' anything on this list you get the noted cover save.

The +2 to cover for going to ground in area terrain is now gone as a blanket rule, and applies only to craters/moonscapes.

The way to do it with things like ruins on a base would be to either count the whole terrain piece as a ruin, so a blanket 4+, or agree to have the actual ruins part as a ruin, conferring 4+, with the remainder just counting as 'difficult terrain' for a 5+ if you're actually obscured.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Regarding terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding terrain   Regarding terrain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regarding terrain
Page 1 of 1