THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Starting Dark Eldar

Go down 
+3
Rip
Thor665
XorpiZ
7 posters
AuthorMessage
XorpiZ
Slave

Starting Dark Eldar Empty
PostSubject: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2011, 19:02

Hi guys,

I've been reading a bit on the forums, checking the new minis and reading up on the codex, and I've decided to join Commorragh and have me some souls soon.

Also, in my local gaming-group, we're having paint-competitions every few months and this time, the theme is anything, that can dish out a S6-hit, either in CC or in ranged. Also it needs to be at least 75 points (meaning you would have to paint 7 trueborn IE.).

So the question is - which route should I take? I've compiled a list of the options I feel are viable and realistic for me to paint to a high standard (it's still a painting-competition Smile):

Asdrubael, Archon (blast pistol/blaster), haemonculi (orb of despair and some other stuff to get to 75), succubus (blast pistol), trueborn (squad of 5-7 depending on gear), warriors (same as trueborn), 3 reavers (one upgraded to lance or blaster), raider (with lance and both shields), ravager, talos, razorwing or voidraven (assorted missiles).

I'm mostly thinking about the reavers tbh. What would you select, if you wanted the mini to stand out and still be viable in gaming?

Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing.. english isn't my first language, but I've tried my best to formulate my thoughts Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2011, 19:14

The debate between Blaster and Heat Lance on Reavers is ongoing. Neither is a bad option.

The Blaster gives you more range, and consequently more options and more survivability.
The Heat Lance is better at killing things if it can get within melta range.

I'd say go with whichever pleases you - both are competitive.

Back to top Go down
XorpiZ
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2011, 19:18

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not facing that much Mech, where I'm playing, so the Blaster might be a better option, since it can instagib most MEQ's at full range.
Back to top Go down
Rip
Hellion
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31 2011, 19:06

If you want the miniature to stand out you can kit bash, which the range does very well. Not only is everything interchangable, but you get so many spare bits with each kit that you'll need a bitz box the size of a shipping container before long.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31 2011, 20:02

I'd say Reavers personally. I always find them standing out. But that's because I love them *gently stroking his Reavers whispering: "Who's a good boy then?"*

Alsath
Slave
Alsath

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2011, 10:58

I also agree with Reavers, they look fantastic.

However, I'm also in love with the design of the Raiders and Ravagers. There's a lot of opportunity for freehand, painting different textures and customisation (paint-wise) on those and both would serve you mighty well in a game.

Painting a Ravager at that level is a labour of love though, mine's taking forever Sad
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2011, 11:29

@Alseth:
I'm holding off all freehand stuff on sails and such untill a reasonable army is done. So all my sails are black currently...

Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2011, 14:13

I favour small HB Scourges squads because I favour MSU concept but jetbikes are indeed good. Just keep in mind You need a lot of points to make them work propertly and it should be ok.

Anyway my advice is to either borrow or proxy models and check few different lists to define Your favourite playstyle. Probably DE are rare example of 40K book that allow You to take "special" kinds of army. Like WWP. Or Duke Drop. You can also "go mech" or not at all. Anyway... You probably want to enjoy your games, so play what You like.

For example this is why I just don't play Orky Horde, Dredbash (despite fact I have 20 [!] scratchbuild walkers), BW bash... it just bored me to death and/or seemed unorky. WarBikers... well, that's different story.
Back to top Go down
MaleOpener76
Slave
MaleOpener76

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 02:47

I'm tied between two choices :

1. 3 reavers, 1 with heat lance - I favor this combo, since opponents tend to ignore such a small squad until their tank goes pop ...

2. Talos - Honestly, can you past up such a model? All those spikes, blades, and weird weapons? Paint enough blood, on where it needs to be, and you have yourself a winner!

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05 2011, 13:19

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. And sorry for the late response, but I've been busy this weekend :-)

I've ordered a battleforce and I plan to make 3 reavers.. Haven't yet decided on blaster or heat lance, but if I know my self well enough, it will depend on how they look!

@MaleOpener76

I did consider the Talos.. but I'm unsure if I'll ever use it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting Dark Eldar
Page 1 of 1