THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Starting Dark Eldar

Go down 
+4
Sith'ari
Thor665
LTKage
DarkDestroyer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkDestroyer
Slave

Starting Dark Eldar Empty
PostSubject: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSat May 26 2012, 21:33

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and in a sense the hobby. But I like the look and feel of Dark Eldar, and after seeing them in action I would love to get my hands on them. I have exactly £140 and I'm not afraid to spend, so what would you guys recommend to get me started?

By the way, what's the deal with a Sslyth? What's his story?

And, is the battleforce a viable option?

All help welcome. Thanks in advance. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSat May 26 2012, 22:27

Welcome. The Battleforce is a pretty good buy. I don't know about UK prices but in US prices you basically get a 22% discount on everything in the box. Beyond cost, the Battleforce is a good option because it gives you two troop choices, a fast attack, and a transport. You would probably want to buy another raider and a ravager next because they're staple choices regardless of point level. You would also want to pick up an HQ.

More importantly, what kind of army do you want to play? Are you into firepower or melee? Do you like depraved space elves or is the carnival of flesh more your cup of tea?

Honestly, I would pick up the Dark Eldar Codex first and try to figure out what you like best. Ask around for tips and advice. Do research before buying a bunch of models. I would also try to figure out what your local gaming scene is like

Important note: Don't buy a 5th Edition Rule Book because the new edition is coming out soon. Share with a friend if you can.

The Sslyth are basically a race of mercenaries that hang out in the Dark City, earning a living as bodyguards in the service of Archons. They're part of The Court of the Archon, which is a group of animals, concubines, and sycophants that accompany the Archon into battle.
Back to top Go down
DarkDestroyer
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSat May 26 2012, 22:36

Well, I don't want an army like tau that is supreme from long range and then gets decimated in CC, and I don't want an army like nids where they do nothing at range (exceptions of monstrous creatures) but own at CC. I'd love to find some sort of middle ground, capable of destroying targets from range as well as butchering guys in CC. Is this even possible, or do I have to make a choice?
Back to top Go down
LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSun May 27 2012, 00:48

DarkDestroyer wrote:
I'd love to find some sort of middle ground, capable of destroying targets from range as well as butchering guys in CC. Is this even possible, or do I have to make a choice?

Based on my admittedly limited experience, you don't have to make that choice. Dark Eldar are pretty good at destroying armor and mowing down infantry. But yeah, do some research before you go out and buy things. There are lots of blogs and tactica articles on the Dark Eldar.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSun May 27 2012, 00:52

DarkDestroyer wrote:
I'd love to find some sort of middle ground, capable of destroying targets from range as well as butchering guys in CC. Is this even possible, or do I have to make a choice?
This is absolutely possible with DE - our two primary Troop choices (both are in the battleforce, fyi) are Wyches and Warriors. Wyches are excellent in h2h versus a variety of targets, and Warriors are pretty solid shooting tools (though mostly paired with Venoms to supplement their shooting)

Back to top Go down
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSun May 27 2012, 17:05

Hi and welcome!

As Thor and Kage have already mentioned, Dark Eldar can do both pretty well. In fact starting with the battleforce and another Raider would give you an great opportunity to test out the playstyle. Throw on a Haemonculus to lead them and you'd have a great start for any DE force and a fun army for some small games! Cool

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 04:16

I'd buy the Codex first and build some army lists in theory. Post them in the army list section and let people add their two pain tokens to it. This will also help with carving your own playstyle.

But the Battleforce is a good buy, as every unit in there is viable.

Now if they filled the Battleforce with Mandrakes and Drazhar........
Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 06:01

1++ wrote:
Now if they filled the Battleforce with Mandrakes and Drazhar........

That would make it...the Battlefarce...*puts on sunglasses*

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 09:39

I've just started my own DE force and I'm aiming for something similar, ie a hybrid list. I can certainly echo what the others have already said about the battleforce. In terms of the content I'd have to say it's probably one of the most useful battleforces available from GW as everything is usable and you really do have the core of a decent small army.

I bought a battleforce, an extra box of warriors, 2 venoms, 2 ravagers and an archon and with that I've been able to come up with a few lists that I'm going to try out. Might need to proxy a few models to fill in some gaps in the lists (like beastmasters) but looking forward to getting it on the table and trying it out.

Andy140491
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 14:52

Did somebody mention a NEW codex? What the hell? :S the current 1... Has only been out like 2 years if that?? Were did you hear such a rumour??

As for starting an army, I brought myself a HQ an 2 troops, as I have a horrendous habit of not painting my armies. I'm going for a CQ type army, lots and lots of firepower Smile
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 15:08

Andy140491 wrote:
Did somebody mention a NEW codex? What the hell? :S the current 1... Has only been out like 2 years if that?? Were did you hear such a rumour??

No, the codex is only a couple of years old and won't be redone for a few years yet. There is however a new edition of 40k itself coming out pretty soon.

Andy140491
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 15:27

*slaps forehead* Jesus how could I get that mixed up! Sorry my bad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting Dark Eldar   Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting Dark Eldar
Page 1 of 1