THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Splinter racks

Go down 
+8
Shadows Revenge
GrenAcid
Urien Rakarth
Hydra
kenny3760
Raneth
Archon Farath Mure
Rainbow Dash
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Rainbow Dash
Slave
Rainbow Dash

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11 2011, 22:34

When I first saw splinter racks, it was love at first sight. Twin-linking a squad's guns? Why would you not? Recently, though, I've become less enthusiastic about them. I simply don't find myself in situations where I want my raiders to move 6" or less each turn nearly often enough to justify the cost, especially since you really need to get within 12" for splinter fire to do anything. As nice as the occasional burst of twin-linked fire is, I'd much rather just spend those points on something that I'll consistently benefit from.

So, what are everyone else's opinions on splinter racks? Worth it or not?
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11 2011, 22:46

All of my gunboats get them. I tend to prefer a burst of fire to whittle down anything I throw a combat unit into before assaulting. Racks make this more effective. Also totally worth it against MCs.
Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11 2011, 23:19

I do often limit myself to 6", but it's to fire the squad's Blaster. No Racks for me.

kenny3760
Sybarite

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 00:44

Venoms, 12 shots at 36", why would you bother with splinter racks?
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 11:39

As always it depends on who you are playing against. I found it quite amusing, shooting the tau army to pieces, since they were firing at more "worthy" things.

And since my warriors are in the raider anyway, why not pay the few points extra?

Ergo: I love them

Hive Fleet Hydra

Kabal of the Poisoned Fang
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 13:50

My opponents hate them, I take Duke Sliscus with a squad of Kabalites and another Raider full as part of my anti-infantry. You may only be moving 6" but there are also my Wyches, my Blasterborn, my Ravagers and my Razorwing, there are a lot of threats and I think that's what works. If they are ignoring my Raiders then they can slaughter stuff, if they go after them the rest of my weapons are wrecking the place.

Also, do not be afraid to move further and sacrifice a turn or two's shooting to get a more advantageous position in future turns. This is something that I am learning about my DE, if you have a choice to take a shot ot setup for a better one later on, run and hide!
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 14:25

kenny3760 wrote:
Cuz duble-spliter cannon venoms arent answer to everything and there are other working options in our dex.

I would see more use for splinter racks if we could fire after DS....just 75pts for deep striking taxi of doom....ehhh....6ed please help us!

Archon of All-seeing Eye Cabal.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 16:39

Why would you use splinter wracks when a venom can do the same thing, for cheaper, at a longer distance??? and yes, they are the answer when it comes to max posion shots.

But anyway, Id use splinter racks more if it effected carbines and/or the cannon. Then sliccus gunboat TB would actually be effective for their point cost
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 16:47

If you move 12" with your Raider can't the squad inside still shot out of it? This would help me see if Splinter Racks were worth it in my list or not.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 17:16

@Cailos - no, you can't.

@Shadow - Gunboats are superior in damage to Venoms, Venoms are superior in range. Both are viable for bringing poison pain to the opponent.

Personally I find racks just not worth it, even with Gunboats. If they worked on carbines and cannons then I'd use them quite a bit, but by limiting it to rifles and pistols they're just too expensive for the extra damage potential they bring.

Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12 2011, 18:23

GrenAcid wrote:
kenny3760 wrote:
Cuz duble-spliter cannon venoms arent answer to everything and there are other working options in our dex.

I would see more use for splinter racks if we could fire after DS....just 75pts for deep striking taxi of doom....ehhh....6ed please help us!

You're right of course Dual cannon venoms are not the answer to everything. However for pumping vast amounts of splinter fire into the enemy from a "safe" range they are simply the best thing we have.
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13 2011, 13:21

Also, while risky, don't forget you can move your Raiders 12", disembark 2" and then Rapid fire at 12" again, OK you lose your splinter racks for that shot but if you find yourself in a bind and need the range the option is there.
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
kenny3760
Sybarite

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14 2011, 15:11

Your only likely to do 7 wounds with a full squad of 10 warriors rapid firing, so you'd better be picking a soft target for that kind of move. Against marines or a unit in cover your looking at almost no benefit in doing that.
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15 2011, 21:08

@up

Sad but true.

Archon of All-seeing Eye Cabal.
Back to top Go down
BlckRven
Kabalite Warrior
BlckRven

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22 2011, 11:17

Splinter racks are quiet the waste, mostly because of the limited range of the allowed weapons and the limitation of weapons on its own.

Venom with extra cannon, and 3 trueborn with 2 splintercannons are much more capable IMO. They have either 12, 20 or 24 shots, depending on your movement phase. And stay at a save range doing so.

Sybarite
SirTainly

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22 2011, 19:33

Rainbow Dash wrote:
When I first saw splinter racks, it was love at first sight. Twin-linking a squad's guns? Why would you not? Recently, though, I've become less enthusiastic about them. I simply don't find myself in situations where I want my raiders to move 6" or less each turn nearly often enough to justify the cost, especially since you really need to get within 12" for splinter fire to do anything. As nice as the occasional burst of twin-linked fire is, I'd much rather just spend those points on something that I'll consistently benefit from.

So, what are everyone else's opinions on splinter racks? Worth it or not?

Range 12 to get the full advantage puts you in charge range of everyone..it's a bad idea IMO - yes I changed my mind on them too.

Now I opt for Trueborn with Shardcarbines to get 3 dice at 18"
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Splinter racks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter racks   Splinter racks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Splinter racks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA