THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Snow basing tutorial

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

Snow basing tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Snow basing tutorial   Snow basing tutorial I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02 2015, 19:55

Howdy everyone. Just wrote this snow basing tutorial for my blog but thought it might interest some on here. I like my method as it can make fluffy fresh snow, or more icy frozen snow without having to use expensive crushed glass and such like, is fairly quick and simple to create, and looks good to boot Smile

First thing to do is base your miniature with sand ect and get that painted ready for the flock. I paint mine grey as I like the contrast between the white snow and the dark slate and rubble, but you can use any colour you choose to do this And it will still look good.

Snow basing tutorial 0DB07CBF-4668-4930-9272-6995E5C9C3BD_zpstsltjmfg
Next you will need a pot of Gale force nine snow flock (I think Woodland scenics also do a similar product), a spatula of some sort, pva glue (Elmers glue), and a mixing surface. I do not use the GW stuff to create my snow as it is more like a static grass than a flock, and I do not think it will work as well, but you could give it a try on a spare base and see if that is all you can get.

Snow basing tutorial 9B21B930-8548-4D28-8D14-D5B6FCBE8A8A_zpszsi0hbmd
Blob a large amount of pva glue onto your palette and slowly add the flock and mix it all together until you have a sloppy mixture. How much or little you add of the flock depends on what you want your snow to look like. The sloppier the mixture the more icy your snow will look, whereas if you want your snow to be nice and fluffy you will want the mix to be alot drier (but not too dry).

Snow basing tutorial 6715BE83-2057-4E27-8498-A03ADE11CE42_zpsdxkb7yxr
Once this is mixed add pva glue to the base of your model where you want the snow to sit. This creates a better bond to the base for your mixture, but also creates a nice graduating effect on the snow when you get to the final stage.

Snow basing tutorial 36A6E256-E4B7-4A3F-936A-968D658A4CB9_zpse5n40al1
Spatula your snow mixture onto the base where you have added the pva glue patches and spread around as needed (this is where you create the hight and depth of your snow mounds, so pile it up high if you want nice big drifts or spread it thin if you want a more flat blob of snow).

Snow basing tutorial FBDF4661-75BD-473B-BF1F-C8AA6E28DD43_zpsipwq8nbb
While the snow mixture is still wet we add the final dusting of snow on the top. Sprinkle a healthy amount of flock onto the top of the mounds of snow you have created, and then shake it back off. The flock will stick to the parts you have mixed and glued, creating the final snow effect (this is where adding the pva glue to the base has an effect, as it created a nice graduation to your mound of snow and makes it look more realistic).

Snow basing tutorial 08806565-661F-4869-9610-979703881BE9_zpsqml1fnj9
Wet
Snow basing tutorial F6E88447-D9D2-46EF-9E1D-D7B40E7A33D9_zpsovt41trr
Dry

Let it all dry and hey presto! A good looking snowy base Smile. You can choose how much or little snow you add to your bases, and this method will still work fantastically well, even if you want the whole base to be covered by the snow.

And thats a wrap Smile Any feedback is much appreciated.

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Snow basing tutorial   Snow basing tutorial I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03 2015, 07:03

Good tutorial!

How sparkly is it? It looks a bit on the matte side, but that's hard to tell from photos.

I agree that the GW stuff is the worst. Army Painter's is... not the worst.

I originally used a recipe with white glue, baking soda, acrylic gel medium, and a dash of blue ink. It looked pretty good, but it had a tendency to yellow over time. Now I use the Woodland Scenics snow mixed with the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. While I like the effect I get with it (and it's a lot easier than the complicated recipe I used before), I found that it had a tendency to leech some color from the paint under it, which makes me suspect that's what the baking soda was doing as well. I had to spend an afternoon experimenting on spare bases until I found a set of colors that wouldn't make my snow gross. (Which I failed to write down, so if I decide to do snow bases again, I'll have to experiment again, because I am very smart.)

Snow basing tutorial <a href=Snow basing tutorial IMG_1582_zpsmjtohcrl" />

Snow basing tutorial <a href=Snow basing tutorial Forsaken%201_zpsfwfpksvc" />

Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Snow basing tutorial   Snow basing tutorial I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03 2015, 09:04

Hey Calypta. It is not too shiny when it dries, but does have a bit of a sheen underneath the sprinkled bits, depending on how sloppy the mix is when you apply it. I have not tried the water effects with it but ai might add a little in (or some gloss varnish) to see if I can get it any shinier)

I honk baking soda is slightly.caustic which is why it may be yellowing and leeching off the paint beneath. Also some glues and varnishes yellow eventually as well. I use a (relatively) expensive wood glue for my snow as the first few I made with cheaper stuff yellowed as well.

The pic you show looks really good. Nice and icy effect. I will have a little play and see if I can get something similar

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow basing tutorial   Snow basing tutorial I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow basing tutorial
Page 1 of 1