THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans

Go down 
+4
Jimsolo
sweetbacon
Calyptra
1++
8 posters
AuthorMessage
1++
Hekatrix

Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans Empty
PostSubject: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03 2015, 23:27

So I was looking at Reavers yesterday and thinking about the damage their HoW attacks can do. Cluster Caltrops allows us to Pen AV13 (Walkers) as well as an auto wound at AP2 (Gargantuans).

So them I did some dirty math and it looks like, and this is where I need your guys help, that 4 units of 12 Reavers (with 4 Caltrops in each) would destroy a Wraithknight at the Intiative 10 HoW stage. The same size would do the damage on a Knight too before it gets to Stomp us into oblivion

Thoughts?

Wych
Calyptra

Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 01:35

That's around 1000 points of Reavers. I don't know that that's a bad thing, but it is an awful lot of points. Hopefully you wouldn't be sacrificing them to kill that 300 point Wraithknight.

I don't know how many Reavers you can get in base contact with a Wraithknight, but I suspect the answer is less than 48 Reavers. You need to maximize the number in base contact each time a unit assaults, so I'm not sure it's possible to get all the caltrop Reavers into position for Hammer of Wrath.

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 02:19

Yeah that's what I was worried about too - getting all of them into base to base with the Knight - maybe the tactic would work if you feed in a unit at time - using Hit and Run to then assault in with another fresh/full unit of 9 or 12

Obviously its tonne of points but I think that many Reavers would be able to take on anything! If you think invis, think Horde, think high Toughness. The only thing i am concerned about is their lack of saves when in assault - until T3 when 5+ FnP kicks in thts about all they have, even then that won't help against S8 and above....or D attacks but that goes without saying really.....

Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 11:08

Reavers are great, but I think a 12 man squad would be way too unwieldy and hard to actually get position so that your four Caltrops are in base to base. Getting two or maybe even three Caltrops in position isn't so much a challenge but four may be a bridge too far if you're looking to do it consistently. Plus, that's a huge point sink that you could be spending on Grots which make a great 1-2 punch with Reavers.

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 11:38

Ahh yes HoW is only done by models who are in base contact aren't they

Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 11:51

Sadly, yes.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 12:42

And only against the facing they actually touch, which is why I dislike hitting vehicles with them.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05 2015, 10:36

I wouldn't try using reavers as my primary weapon vs knights of any type. Even if you do take it down a bad explosion result could take out most of your reavers.

That being said I've never had a problem with reavers only being able to hit the facing they touch. With their great speed they can usually hit the squishy side or rear AVs.

My exp is they rip multiple vehicles with AV facings of 10 or 11 into very small pieces. Also they can take out the contents as well as they can surround it. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05 2015, 11:50

I can't see it being that cost effective myself. Although it would look amazing! I suspect a group would assault, do one or two wounds, then get trodden on before they can hit and run out of there. It's a lot of points to feed to something.

Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05 2015, 13:49

I'm going to say no, Reavers with HOW are not our counter to superheavies or Gargantuans.

Superheavies are easy. Scourges with Haywire will eat them alive faster and more reliably than any amount of S6 rending.

Gargantuans are tougher. Wracks with Ossefactors are not model-efficient, but they still reliably wound the blighters and ignore their armour. Razorwings with Necrotoxin Missiles can reliably wound them, but have a hard time punching through armour. I'd go out on a limb and say that point for point our best counter is several squads of blasterborn, or blaster scourges. Multiple Lance Ravagers or a large wing of Razorwings can also work in a pinch.

Reavers are nice, but this is really not their niche. Use them to hunt enemy heavy weapon squads, Havocs, Devestators, ect. and leave the lord of war slaying to our massed firepower.
Back to top Go down
Fulgrym
Hellion
Fulgrym

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06 2015, 04:38

Against gargantuans, in melee anyways, talos with ichor injectors would do well. AP2 fleshbane with possible instant death, yes please!

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06 2015, 06:45

Thanks for the responses guys! Putting this one to bed....back to the drawing board

PostSubject: Re: Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans   Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are Reaver Hammer of Wrath attacks our way of dealing with Super Heavies and Gargantuans
Page 1 of 1