THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

2000 Renegades and Heretics

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

2000 Renegades and Heretics Empty
PostSubject: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27 2016, 04:40

So here is a list I threw together, based on what I think will work against my mates 30K Iron Hands.
Also included is some stuff I like how I painted and how I modelled it. Criticsm and your thoughts are welcome

Purge Detachment

HQ
Renegade Command Squad -187-
Arch Demagogue with bolt pistol, powerfist, refractor field, Ordanance Tyrand and Covenant of Nurgle. Command Squad with plasma gun and Chimera with Heavy flamer (turret and hull mounted)

ELITES
Renegade Ogryns -150-
1 packmaster and 3 chaos hounds
Renegade Ogryns -150-
1 packmaster and 3 chaos hounds
Renegade Heavy Ordanance Battery -71-
1 earthshaker with militia training and 6 crew
Renegade Heavy Ordanance Battery -71-
1 earthshaker with militia training and 6 crew

TROOPS
Plague Zombie Horde -45-
15 zombies

HEAVY SUPPORT
Renegade Rapier Laser Destroyer Battery -56-
2 Rapiers with extra crew and militia training
Renegade Strike Battery -55-
1 Wyvern
Renegade Tank Squad -300-
Leman Russ (battle cannon and heavy bolter) with militia training
Leman Russ (battle cannon and heavy bolter) with militia training
Renegade Tank Squad -310-
Leman Russ Executioner (plasma cannon and heavy bolter) with militia training
Leman Russ Executioner (plasma cannon and heavy bolter) with militia training

FORMATION
Crimson Death -440-
3 Crimson Hunters, including 1 Exarch all with brightlances and pulse lasers

UNBOUND
Court of the Archon -160-
3 Sslyth, 2 Lhameans in dual splinter cannon Venom

Cheers for gettin through that. Let me know what you think

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"

Last edited by flakmonkey on Wed Jul 27 2016, 05:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling, unit corrections and points)
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31 2016, 18:19

To be honest I've never been a fan of brutes.  In this case I'm guessing you're using them as a melee screen to defend the immobile ordnance platforms?  If so, I'd see if your opponent will let you field them as renegade chaos spawn.

There is some confusion about restricted units in the latest R&H book, which sadly has only ever been cleared up in email responses from FW.  You can find the thread of them here, or here which show that chaos spawn and (the number of) zombies are unrestricted in the current book.  The "conditions" for fielding chaos spawn aren't even available in this book (mutant overlord and/or covenant of tzeentch) and the restriction under their title is just left over text.  It's a pretty sloppy collection overall, as they forgot entries for other units that are clearly still field able, like marauders.

All that said - Spawn fill the same role and slot as ogryns, with the same durability/fearlessness, are faster and can ignore all that dangerous terrain you're creating with your purge, and a squad of 3 costs less than a single ogryn.  They also have almost twice the leadership, which eliminates a potential weakness against psykers.  The only things they're comparatively missing out on are frag grenades (which only affect your packmaster) and the run them down rule.

Other than that it looks pretty good.  If you find any more points, I'd say scrounge up some more zombies or maybe try to field another barrage weapon.  I'm curious if your strategy involves exploiting the ordnance tyrant rule at all, or if you're just going to scoot your warlord up the board with that aggressive chimera.

Personally, I tend to min/max the command units, usually with a lascannon.  The arch-demagogue is an independent character, so you can plunk the other 4 dude down some place nice and break him off to go do other stuff (like make your artillery bombard your own people).
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02 2016, 15:12

stilgar27 wrote:
To be honest I've never been a fan of brutes.  In this case I'm guessing you're using them as a melee screen to defend the immobile ordnance platforms?  If so, I'd see if your opponent will let you field them as renegade chaos spawn.

There is some confusion about restricted units in the latest R&H book, which sadly has only ever been cleared up in email responses from FW.  You can find the thread of them here, or here which show that chaos spawn and (the number of) zombies are unrestricted in the current book.  The "conditions" for fielding chaos spawn aren't even available in this book (mutant overlord and/or covenant of tzeentch) and the restriction under their title is just left over text.  It's a pretty sloppy collection overall, as they forgot entries for other units that are clearly still field able, like marauders.

All that said - Spawn fill the same role and slot as ogryns, with the same durability/fearlessness, are faster and can ignore all that dangerous terrain you're creating with your purge, and a squad of 3 costs less than a single ogryn.  They also have almost twice the leadership, which eliminates a potential weakness against psykers.  The only things they're comparatively missing out on are frag grenades (which only affect your packmaster) and the run them down rule.

Other than that it looks pretty good.  If you find any more points, I'd say scrounge up some more zombies or maybe try to field another barrage weapon.  I'm curious if your strategy involves exploiting the ordnance tyrant rule at all, or if you're just going to scoot your warlord up the board with that aggressive chimera.

Personally, I tend to min/max the command units, usually with a lascannon.  The arch-demagogue is an independent character, so you can plunk the other 4 dude down some place nice and break him off to go do other stuff (like make your artillery bombard your own people).

Appreciate the reply stilgar.

To answer your questions in order
-Each unit of Ogryn+Dogs followed behind a squadron of tanks. I hate losing my tanks in CC, and I also wanted a unit capable of taking advantage of the destruction that can be caused by the Leman Russes
-I think I will try out spawn next time as per your suggestion. I'll just have to make sure it's okay with my opponents I guess.
-Only have 5 more zombies. I suppose anything can be a zombie, but I like my green ones.
-I would make another artillery piece if I could. I've been able to build 2 Earthshaker/medusas, and 1 Quad launcher/heavy mortar. Any suggestions with what to use to make more is more than welcome.
-Next time I'll ditch the Sslyth, that'll free up a few more points I think.
-My strategy was pretty much park the guns in the back, leave the Tyrant within 12" of them. Move very aggressive with the tank squadrons and their CC support. Chimera to guard against fast movers. Sslyth to be a fast moving, well painted pain. Crimson Hunters just do what they do.

I played this game on Monday, and it went okay for the most part. A rather frustrating - Outflanking Tank Shocking from Reserves Rhino hit my artillery piece with the Tyrant attached. Tyrant hit back and stripped a HP, but I still lost the artillery piece somehow. That rhino then took out my Wyvern with a lucky melta shot. But my Tyrant did eventually kill 3 of the veterans from that rhino with his power fist. And my opponent laughed about S6 fist at the start.

Ogryns did very little other than act as pretty good bullet magnets. All my tanks bought it, but I think they did okay.
I really feel now spawn would be a better choice, the extra speed will make alot of difference. Ogryns were soooooo slow.
And I may add some Enforcers with melta bombs to try and stop this Tank Shocking wiping my artillery out stuff.

Again, thanks for your reply. I'll make a few changes and put up a new list a bit later.

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2016, 05:12

I've never really been dissapointed in spawn (well this edition), it's a shame they can't take marks though.  They're really a work horse in most of my lists and do everything from tarpitting to screening to general face-eating.  The only thing comparable are sentinels, which take up a rarer and somewhat more competitive fast attack slot (I like hellhounds/banewolves in mine), which is funny since sentinels are slower. Dreads screw spawn up though, avoid anything with a front AV they can't damage, because once they're locked they can't break off.  I do love that they can take a earthshaker round or two and keep fighting, while the marine they were in combat with usually gets ID'd.

Zombies usually make me pretty happy too, but I've been collecting them for years and have over a hundred up on the shelf.  While this means I don't ever take them out of the house, it also means when I get to field them large parts of the board are pretty much just "mine".  You can never have enough zombies IMO, and I don't just mean in 40k.

As for artillery - when I started my renegades and heretics army I was going to do so with as little outlay as possible  so among other shortcuts (cultists rather than renegades models for all but elites) I used these WWII Vietnam M59 Long Tom: 1:32 Scale Models with the shorter barrels.  I was getting them from these guys for something like $6 a piece, I remember I got 6 for about $40 shipped.

The problem (for anyone else anyway) is that I can't find the short barreled ones at all anymore and the longer barrel ones tend to come with more stuff and run more like $10.  The barrel is also almost comically long, and much more fragile than the short version.  I've been pretty happy with them but I do want to stress that they're "toys" and while that means better range of motion and durability - there is a lot less detail overall.

2000 Renegades and Heretics 20160811

Table wise they're about the same size as a basilisk so I doubt anyone is going to complain - although the carriages come off and the struts fold up and lock together if you wanted to make them smaller.  I specifically photo'd the ones I primed but didn't paint so you could maybe see them a bit better.  I should have another one somewhere I haven't hit with the auto primer yet I'll snap if I can find it.

2000 Renegades and Heretics 20160810

The renegades (well cultists) themselves do look pretty small against it though, I doubt they could ever actually chamber a shell without some sort of stairs/platform to stand on.  I might add some after I get a ton more stuff done.

Myself, I need to find a good way to produce cheap quad launchers.  I made a couple out of old dwarf cannons with 4 barrels (don't remember what they're called), but I'm not happy with them.  I've contemplated buying some "not forgeworld" ones off ebay a couple times but I just can't do it.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2016, 11:47

I'll chuck in a pic of my (patented) Renegade Crawler Artillery and a few of my "grenadiers".
The Earthshaker/Medusa is basically bits from a drop-pod, Triarch Stalker and Shadowsword cannon. The quad launcher is the same, but I used an Achilles quadlauncher and some sprue. But it's hard to duplicate(only got 1 Achilles), so I may use another piece of the Shadowsword gun, some PVC tubes and a whole lotta gauze.

I'll keep an eye out for 1/35 scale artillery, but I live in Aus, so everything is expensive.

Still workin on a new list, hopefully have a few ideas down soon.

[img]2000 Renegades and Heretics Thumbn10[/img]

Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2016, 17:38

I really like the arachnid looking artillery.  The fluff of my renegades is (dark) mechanicum heavy, but it's strength is slowly being eaten away/replaced as servitors and thralls succumb to a version of the obliterator virus - so some of the zombies and chaos spawn are techno-organic with chainswords and mechadendrites grafted in to their bodies.

I was thinking about trying to find small bullet casings (.22) to stack together as quad mortar barrels, and I have some deathstrike missile bodies I plan on cutting/drilling in to medusa barrels.  In both cases, mounts like these might be ideal.  I might even integrate some of the servitor/cultists in to them as a stand - although that might confuse opponents as to how many crewmen are left.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: New List, just as silly   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2016, 09:15

@stilgar27 - Glad you liked my crawlers. Hope you can get your quad launchers built up soon. The gun bonded servitor idea sounds very cool. It'd be awesome if the Dark Mechanicum was more a part of the Chaos forces.
I like to imagine my own Renegades as mercenaries, the kind of scum you'd find in Null City. I'm also tryin to give them a "xenos friendly" feel, by equiping them with looted (from corpses) weaponry and gear.

I put together a new list, Renegades is similar, but with a bit more artillery (make use of forbidden munitions) and more melta bombs to stop/deter "Tank Shock" shenanigans.
Also slotted in the spawn
The Tzeentch Allies (whilst unfluffy) are newly painted and not much used. I'm looking forward to the Disc Lord flying around and melting stuff and assaulting weak rear field units. The terminators are mainly coz I like the models.
I'm not happy with the CSM squad, feel very pricey. I may decrease the size of the squad. Was also thinking of ditching their Rhino in favour of a Chimera.

As ever, let us know what you think.
Cheers

Purge Detachment

HQ
Renegade Command Squad -122-
Arch Demagogue with bolt pistol, powerfist, Melta bombs, refractor field, Ordanance Tyrant and Covenant of Nurgle. Base  Command Squad
Renegade Enforcer Cadre -90-
2 Enforcers, both armed with Power Mauls and Melta bombs

ELITES
Renegade Chaos Spawn -55-
3 Spawns
Renegade Chaos Spawn -55-
3 Spawns
Renegade Heavy Ordanance Battery -68-
1 earthshaker with militia training and 5 crew
Renegade Heavy Ordanance Battery -68-
1 earthshaker with militia training and 5 crew

TROOPS
Plague Zombie Horde -45-
15 zombies
Renegade Field Artillery Battery -70-
2 Heavy Quad Launchers with 3 crew each and militia training

HEAVY SUPPORT
Renegade Rapier Laser Destroyer Battery -56-
2 Rapiers with extra crew and militia training
Renegade Tank Squad -170-
Leman Russ Demolisher (siege cannon and heavy bolter) with militia training
Renegade Tank Squad -170-
Leman Russ Demolisher (siege cannon and heavy bolter) with militia training

Allied Detachment

HQ
Chaos Lord -185-
Mark of Tzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch, Burning Brand, power axe, melta bombs, sigil of corruption

ELITES
Chaos Terminators -158-
2 Terminators both with a combi-melta and lightning claw, Champion with chainfist and lightning claw. Marked of Tzeentch

TROOPS
Chaos Space Marines -237-
9 basic marines, 1 with meltagun and a Champion with lighning claw and melta bombs. Rhino with havoc launcher. Marked of Tzeentch

FORMATION
Crimson Death -440-
3 Crimson Hunters, including 1 Exarch all with brightlances and pulse lasers

Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07 2016, 19:06

The renegades look pretty good.  The melta bomb + power fist on a character might be a bit redundant, but it's cheap enough to keep both considering your need.  I also personally skimp on militia training, if you've got the points though no reason not to.

Chaos marines were once (and for a long time) my army of choice, but anymore I have trouble even fielding them at all.  I actually ended up playing renegades after resorting to an almost pure cultist chaos marine lists, and deciding they'd be better off with some tanks/transports/artillery rather than the few marines units I was fielding.

That said yours look pretty good for what I assume is 2-3 objective holders to make up for the otherwise slow army.  Mark of tzeentch is nice on termis; less so on marines but the big squad helps to mitigate the cost.  I might consider making your lord a sorcerer (with spell familiar) if you can squeeze it in, but that's really a matter of personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Renegades and Heretics   2000 Renegades and Heretics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2000 Renegades and Heretics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

AELDARI ALLIES

:: Other Mercenaries & Allies
-
Jump to: